• Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Talk about marked cages,some with seed,

no seed a D cup, is this to save on seed or

to make it easyer to sweep up,after the show.

If so should't it be a standard across all cages,

No seed or seed or paper in the bottem

of the cage,its a bit hit & miss,by the look of it. :budgiedance:

i would say macka that the d cups would have been placed in after the placings and judging was finalized as you are not permitted to take pics till then

i didnt however know you could put paper on bottom

we have a seed filled bottom cage and it must be of a certain mix im not sure what yet but its not aloud to be just any seed think it must be your clubs seed i think

also from what i have experianced we do not gather the birds around near where awards are taking place all birds just stay where they are exept a few are moved that are best in show extra but still not near the awards you have to look at birds before awards start to see the champions extra

thanks for pics guys

i took some from the uniteds show on sunday but not near as many or as good :bliss:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

i would say macka that the d cups would have been placed in after the placings and judging was finalized

No

• Member ID:  5,309
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,385
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

The D cups went in at the beginning of the show... The photos some were taken before judging, I only got photos of the judges while they were judging and I got all the budgie photos after they judged...You are very welcome splat... Was more than happy to get some snaps for you all... :D I like photos just not of me... :budgiedance: hee hee

Talk about marked cages,some with seed,no seed a D cup, is this to save on seed orto make it easyer to sweep up,after the show.If so should't it be a standard across all cages,No seed or seed or paper in the bottemof the cage,its a bit hit & miss,by the look of it. :bliss:
i would say macka that the d cups would have been placed in after the placings and judging was finalized as you are not permitted to take pics till then i didnt however know you could put paper on bottom we have a seed filled bottom cage and it must be of a certain mix im not sure what yet but its not aloud to be just any seed think it must be your clubs seed i think also from what i have experianced we do not gather the birds around near where awards are taking place all birds just stay where they are exept a few are moved that are best in show extra but still not near the awards you have to look at birds before awards start to see the champions extrathanks for pics guys i took some from the uniteds show on sunday but not near as many or as good :D
Macka the Dcups will be soon required by all to have in their cages I think it becomes offical in 2011, someone will correct me if wrong anyways...I think WA has to have a standard budgerigar breeding mix, if I remember Cec talk the other day at the MBC...The birds gather behind the judges at the awards were all the big winners, best in show, best opp sex, best novice, etc that is what I gather from what others were saying... Again I'm sure if someone will correct me if wrong... :)Thanks GB... I'm sure your photos are good too... :D

The D cups went in at the beginning of the show... The photos some were taken before judging,

Macka the Dcups will be soon required by all to have in their cages I think it becomes offical in 2011, someone will correct me if wrong anyways...I think WA has to have a standard budgerigar breeding mix, if I remember Cec talk the other day at the MBC...The birds gather behind the judges at the awards were all the big winners, best in show, best opp sex, best novice, etc that is what I gather from what others were saying... Again I'm sure if someone will correct me if wrong... :budgiedance:

The Dcups and the thicker perches will soon be Australia wide. We have begun implementing them. Some people have and some havent so far.

Since half my cages were set up that way and half werent and similar for most people then it would be real difficult for anyone to figure out whose cages had it setup that way and whose werent.

Since we had some entrants from the Rare Budgie club and some of them are usuing the OLD style show cages with the rounded over fronts at the top, they too could have been seen as marked, couldnt they ?

As could any cage with a chop of paint off it, a piece of tape over the catch a spot in the cage...anything really.

The cages were set up before anyone left home with their birds.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

D cups are WA only but will be adopted across all affilated clubs.

Perches are nation wide.

It'll be a bit hit and miss for both of these items whilst we have the change over period. Once that happens it'll be large perches, d-cups with seed and paper on the bottom for all. And if you read up the thread a bit macka you'll see why WA chose to go with d-cups for seed. Actually I took full advantage of the change over period and put seed in d-cups AND on the floor for the two UBC's that I took along.

Edited by nubbly5

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

okay I know about the 16mil perches,

being fazzed in but I must of missed

the bit about the D cups.Is there a reason

for the useing the D cups.Marked cages,

if you read the rules,it states what can &

can't be on the show cage.But it appears

in WA they may be a little easer on the cages.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I surpose the judges can also check on the birds dropping this way too. No hiding it in the seed.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

What fantastic results!!! Congrats Kaz and Gina :budgiedance: and I love all the photos ofthe show. Makes it feel as though I am there.

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

The D cups went in at the beginning of the show... The photos some were taken before judging,

Macka the Dcups will be soon required by all to have in their cages I think it becomes offical in 2011, someone will correct me if wrong anyways...I think WA has to have a standard budgerigar breeding mix, if I remember Cec talk the other day at the MBC...The birds gather behind the judges at the awards were all the big winners, best in show, best opp sex, best novice, etc that is what I gather from what others were saying... Again I'm sure if someone will correct me if wrong... :budgiedance:

The Dcups and the thicker perches will soon be Australia wide. We have begun implementing them. Some people have and some havent so far.

Since half my cages were set up that way and half werent and similar for most people then it would be real difficult for anyone to figure out whose cages had it setup that way and whose werent.

Since we had some entrants from the Rare Budgie club and some of them are usuing the OLD style show cages with the rounded over fronts at the top, they too could have been seen as marked, couldnt they ?

As could any cage with a chop of paint off it, a piece of tape over the catch a spot in the cage...anything really.

The cages were set up before anyone left home with their birds.

I have never heard of the D cups being an Australian wide thing, 16 mm perchs are being phased in over a number of years. Not sure of the rationale for it being introduced.

We have D cups in our shows here too , but it depends on the club running the show to decide if they are required or not. They are not a state wide requirement. It is mostly to reduce the seed that falls on the floor. Makes a big difference

16 mm perchs are being phased in over a number of years. Not sure of the rationale for it being introduced.

MOTION

The perch size in the show cage be increased to 16mm in width.

Reason: With the bigger birds the wider perch size is desirable so the birds stand steadier on the perch and grips it firmly. Breeders use thicker perches in their breeding and holding cages therefore it is reasonable to use the thicker perches in the show cages as the birds are used to them.

I agree. Our club did a test with birds on 12 mm perches vs birds on 16 mm perches. Those on the 16 mm perches sat taller and better than the smaller perches. :budgiedance:

I think adding D cup to show cages is only another thing for nuisance value, like show cage drinkers. Least the d cup shown in these pictures are used for the purpose they were made, to hold seed. I have never put water in my show cage drinkers or seen anyone else use them.

I am Judging in Tassie this weekend so will see if they have D cups or not.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

I think the Dcup,wil be as useful as a back pocket, on a jock strap. :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

I think the Dcup,wil be as useful as a back pocket, on a jock strap. B)

:D:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's so funny!! :budgiedance: :bliss: :D

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

I don't know why the D cup is now being used in WA. I have been out of the hobby for 6-7 years and few things have changed, not all for the better. Correct me if I am wrong Nubbly, Kaz but is it too reduce the amount of seed ending up on the floor of the venue there by reducing any potential for accident of members or public slipping on seed. Could it also be as already mentioned so the judges can see the faeces to ensure the exhibit is well. What ever the reason it is a bit like fashion.... it keeps changing but eventually over time the same things come back in one form or another. Here in WA I use to collect budgie memorabillia of which included some show cages going back to the 50's. These older cages had as part of their structure at one end, a trough in which exhibitors placed their seed.

Can anybody tell me what constitutes a standard budgerigar mix for the show cages. This varies on stores and manufacture. I by all seeds individually and mix if required in a ratio to suit the intended target. Not that is an issue for me as I cannot show anyhow but others may need to know.

Correct me if I am wrong Nubbly, Kaz but is it too reduce the amount of seed ending up on the floor of the venue there by reducing any potential for accident of members or public slipping on seed. \
I think this is the main thing, but also to do with the rspca people etc who see our birds in cages with no seed and water all day at shows.
Can anybody tell me what constitutes a standard budgerigar mix for the show cages. This varies on stores and manufacture. I by all seeds individually and mix if required in a ratio to suit the intended target. Not that is an issue for me as I cannot show anyhow but others may need to know.
I think a budgerigar breeder mix with no oats or sunflower ..........I could be wrong :D

Correct me if I am wrong Nubbly, Kaz but is it too reduce the amount of seed ending up on the floor of the venue there by reducing any potential for accident of members or public slipping on seed. \
I think this is the main thing, but also to do with the rspca people etc who see our birds in cages with no seed and water all day at shows.
I think a budgerigar breeder mix with no oats or sunflower ..........I could be wrong :D

If its an OHS issue thats easy fixed, sweep the floor more regularly. Anyway while there is seed in a show cage with birds, there will be seed on the floor.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Sweep floor more regularly is just fine when you have a gazillion volunteers to do the million jobs available on the day.

And so far the d-cups have worked better than I thought they would - definitely reduce the seed on the floor whilst still giving birds the opportunity to feed if needed or if they desire.Also having judged now a couple of times with the d-cups in and as they are white AND below the front rail of the cage, they cause very little issue and are not really noticable.

Funny how some people react to new and different things..... :D

okay I know about the 16mil perches,being fazzed in but I must of missedthe bit about the D cups.Is there a reasonfor the useing the D cups.Marked cages,if you read the rules,it states what can &can't be on the show cage.But it appearsin WA they may be a little easer on the cages.

Macka the WABC show rules will include d-cups for all WABC shows. It has been voted on by all affiliated clubs via their WABC delegates and will be included as a requirement 2011??? not too sure on dates.

Edited by nubbly5