• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi All

I recently had 3 baby budgies in one nest that, when they hatched looked like the ends of their toenails were singed (burnt). They wer black on the tips. Now not all these babies were from the same pair but a couple had been fostered as eggs. Also the same pair had had a pervious round with nothing like this showing up.

The first baby to present like this, I examined closely and rubbed the toe ends only to have the toenails completely drop off! Since then this chick has grown on very well and is close to fledging but has no toenails on any toe bar the 2 that didn't rub off when I looked at them.

The other chicks presented with exactly the same burnt looking toenails just after hatching but I didn't go anywhere near the toes fearing that the toenails would again drop off. Both of these chicks have toenails but showed a black end to the toenail as the baby grew. Now at about 2 weeks you can't tell,

There were 2 other chicks from this nest too but these 2 were normal.

Any ideas??????

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Hi All

I recently had 3 baby budgies in one nest that, when they hatched looked like the ends of their toenails were singed (burnt). They wer black on the tips. Now not all these babies were from the same pair but a couple had been fostered as eggs. Also the same pair had had a pervious round with nothing like this showing up.

The first baby to present like this, I examined closely and rubbed the toe ends only to have the toenails completely drop off! Since then this chick has grown on very well and is close to fledging but has no toenails on any toe bar the 2 that didn't rub off when I looked at them.

The other chicks presented with exactly the same burnt looking toenails just after hatching but I didn't go anywhere near the toes fearing that the toenails would again drop off. Both of these chicks have toenails but showed a black end to the toenail as the baby grew. Now at about 2 weeks you can't tell,

Any ideas??????

Nutrition? :D ... it seems a bit weird for a new genetic mutation :)

• Member ID:  5,023

Hi All

Any ideas??????

Nutrition? :D ... it seems a bit weird for a new genetic mutation :)

In the egg? These were brand new babies - day of hatching. I don't think it had anything to do with mutations as the chick in question has 2 perfectly normal claws on toe of it's toes (the ones that didn't come off when I examined them).

I was thinking maybe the heat somehow - I think my mind was linking burnt with heat.......... and why were other chicks in same nest okay and why nothing else like this before or since - no major changes in feeding went on.

Anyone?

• Member ID:  5,473
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  170
  • Birthday:  23/04/1971

very strange may be while in the egg blood supply was lessened for a short time and the toes suffered cord wraped around them like we have with our own babies who knows I could be totally wrong of on a rant anythings possible with me

yeah I did think blood supply too but discounted it as being - 1 random 1 here or there I can get but 3 in same nest didn't really add up. I'm trying to think of what specific thing could have occurred in that nest and just with 3 babies (but from different pairings). I guess it's just end up as one of those mysterious things that just can't be easily answered....

On the question of heat I do recall Hans telling me that when he bred poultry he bred over summer and the hens were sweltering in very high conditions.

He explained he did this because he was able to achieve a fuller comb on the chicken's heads as the development of the comb was directly related to heat.

In us humans nails and hair are similar .... I wonder whether there is a correlation between combs and claws? :)

Edited by renee

hmmmm, interesting point!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Wouldnt this seem to be related to circulation of blood supply to extremities ? or not ?

Wouldnt this seem to be related to circulation of blood supply to extremities ? or not ?

Yes, I would think so too: that at certain high temperature the development of the chick in the egg is affected - but I am no expert. :raincloud: