Help - Concerned About My Budgie's Cere!

• Member ID:  5,143
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  55
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi All,

I would really appreciate your advise regarding my budgie Jimmi. Here cere seems to have changed shape and seems to have grown away from the beak and has curled up slightly. I am very concerned as I am not sure if this is normal. She has not shown any other signs of illness and is a very happy bird in general. I am worried as she is very special to me! If anyone feels there is reason for concern I will take her to the avian vet asap. I have included a couple of photo's and hope they help in your assessment. Kins Regards, SJ

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

She has what is called Hypertrophy of the cere. Here is some information for you

Hypertrophy of the Cere

This so-called "brown hypertrophy" may be likened to catarrh of a mucous surface and occurs in many types of chronic ill health. Apparently it is not caused by local infection, and ideally treatment consists of finding and treating the underlying cause. The cere should be treated also by picking away the heaped-up material and applying a little oily lotion, cod liver oil, Dettol or bland ointment. Below is a picture of a Budgie with hypertrophy of the cere. The growth can sometimes be caused by mites or tumours.

hypcere.jpg

• Member ID:  5,143
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  55

Thankyou Kaz, im quite worried now. Would you advise first step is off to the vet? She is only 18 minths old so I hope there is nothing too sinister underlying! Can birds recover from this??

She has what is called Hypertrophy of the cere. Here is some information for you

Hypertrophy of the Cere

This so-called "brown hypertrophy" may be likened to catarrh of a mucous surface and occurs in many types of chronic ill health. Apparently it is not caused by local infection, and ideally treatment consists of finding and treating the underlying cause. The cere should be treated also by picking away the heaped-up material and applying a little oily lotion, cod liver oil, Dettol or bland ointment. Below is a picture of a Budgie with hypertrophy of the cere. The growth can sometimes be caused by mites or tumours.

hypcere.jpg

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I would advise the vet take a look....mention the name of the condition in case your vet is unfamiliar with it.......try for an avian vet not a normal vet. I have had some females with this and it hasnt caused them any other problems that was evident. BUT it would pay to be sure especially if there was an underlying condition causing it that could be remedied :)

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

This is interesting information.

My hen, Sorcha, is believed to have fatty liver disease, an underlying condition that causes her beak to grow too long, among other problems. Her cere shows this type of hypertophy as well. Darn, I was hoping that as she went in and out of breeding condition, this brown stuff would flake off!

003-1.jpg

Although, I don't really expect her to go in and out of normal cycles, in her state.

Good luck with your hen. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.