• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

These are the plans for my aviary. Top view and 3d frontal view - took me forever to design them to what I THINK will work.

Aviaryidea.jpg

aviaryidea222.jpg

I already have a concrete pad in the back corner of our yard in a pie shape (or quarter of a circle :D )

which is 5.1m along one fenceline, 5.1m along the other fenceline and I can build outwards at the shortest point to 2.4m - the longest point width wise would be at the 90 degree angle of the "L"shape - which I might change the safety door to so it is external rather than internal...see childish diagram below ahaha :)

Backyardfloorplan.jpg

What do you all think? Of course this is more of a long term project that I plan on achieving one day BUT in the meantime......

This is my new aviary I'm picking next weekend :) It would have taken a few months to build the above aviary and as my flock is kind of somehow growing (its those big pockets that hide birds!! :(:lol: ) I need something now.

Its a brilliant starting point for me. Later on I can do my aviary but until then I can dream...oh and play and view my budgies

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,501
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  710
  • Birthday:  15/02/1973

Wow, nice design, very impressive :)

For now you can just have some fun with my aviary you're acquiring, love setting up aviaries, that is half the fun really :D

• Member ID:  5,666

You like the design? Thanks :) I'm quite proud of it myself.

Whoops I forgot the pics of the aviary from you haha I'm very much looking forward to it :D Thanks so so much for it! Can't wait to set it all up.

6820ajm_20.jpg

54019hb_20.jpg

43137a3_20.jpg

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Nice plans for new aviary Angelic but I also love your new aviary you are putting up now, it looks great :)

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Your new avairy is great!!!

As to your design... also very cool. Some thoughts if I may...

* The safety door, I would personally put on the end... why? I think it would allow maximum light into the sections behind.

* Also, having it on the end, I believe would give you maximum wall space for storage. I just know having a safety door/storage on the end of my aviary, I use all the nooks and crannies.

I just think combining the above 2 points, to get maximum light in the sections behind, you'd want to have the safety door/storage section all in wire. This would not allow for any storage above a certain height. If it was only a safety door and you could store things else where, I'd say go for it.

Another option would be to join the avairy you have now with what you're going to build...

Something also helpful is to mark out your plans, to scale. Walk through it often and check if you fit comfortably etc... becuase once you build it, it's harder to change.

Enough babbling from me. I look forward to your changing plans (as they always do)... Building is so much fun... and in the mean time, I look forward to seeing your new avairy up and running.

Nice plans for new aviary Angelic but I also love your new aviary you are putting up now, it looks great :P

Your new avairy is great!!!

As to your design... also very cool. Some thoughts if I may...

* The safety door, I would personally put on the end... why? I think it would allow maximum light into the sections behind.

* Also, having it on the end, I believe would give you maximum wall space for storage. I just know having a safety door/storage on the end of my aviary, I use all the nooks and crannies.

I just think combining the above 2 points, to get maximum light in the sections behind, you'd want to have the safety door/storage section all in wire. This would not allow for any storage above a certain height. If it was only a safety door and you could store things else where, I'd say go for it.

Another option would be to join the avairy you have now with what you're going to build...

Something also helpful is to mark out your plans, to scale. Walk through it often and check if you fit comfortably etc... becuase once you build it, it's harder to change.

Enough babbling from me. I look forward to your changing plans (as they always do)... Building is so much fun... and in the mean time, I look forward to seeing your new avairy up and running.

Thank you for your input, what you have said makes sense AND its very constructive for me to use. Is this sort of what you mean in regards to the storage and safety door? I just modified my plan again. I forgot that light doesn't go through colorbond so that safety door and storage would be a bit useless hahaha oops

Aviarywsafetydoor.jpg

I do plan on using the new aviary in my plans as I am aware it can be separated down the middle and one section moved to form the "L". Then I can add extra panels and make it all bigger to what I require....eventually. I sorta need more funds to modify and extend which is why I'm using the new one for now B)

I'm not the greatest when it comes to converting measurements :D is there a program that would help me draw the aviary to scale?

Thanks so much!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Aviarywsafetydoor.jpg

Suggestion

You make the corner middle section your breeding room ( with full cover roof ).............then you have two sides for breeding cabinets and or holding cages.

Flight one to the left and flight two to the right. One being babies and youngsters flight and the other adults.

Storage can always be incorporated into under the cabinets.

Edited by KAZ

okay so I'm still working on the plans for my dream aviary, which will take some time I think.SO, because we all love pictures here, I have "some" (more like hundreds!! :huh: ) of the aviary I purchased from Clouds birds.Dismantling - endless drilling of millions of pop rivets, the help of Clouds birds and 6 hours (I think) later:

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03163.jpg

YAY :huh: Phew that was some hard work. Now it looks like...

Edited by maesie

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

We do love pics, so thank you for starters.

I love how enthusiastic you are. I love the fact that you have purchased this reat aviary, and you look at it as a stepping stone to getting to where you want to be with your aviaries.

I will enjoy watching this thread grow and develop, as your aviary develops.

A famous person once said

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act. ".

You are doing both, well done!!!!!

We do love pics, so thank you for starters.

I love how enthusiastic you are. I love the fact that you have purchased this reat aviary, and you look at it as a stepping stone to getting to where you want to be with your aviaries.

I will enjoy watching this thread grow and develop, as your aviary develops.

A famous person once said

"To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act. ".

You are doing both, well done!!!!!

Oh gosh thank you Dave :D That means alot. I am very enthusiastic about it, my husband thinks I'm too enthusiastic - "they're only birds" :P:P I said they aren't only birds and I could never have enough enthusiasm!! haha, but he is getting used to the idea of my outbursts of "ooh gosh look at this aviary" and "what a great feeder" :lol: I think I spend more time dreaming about what I'd like to do, and playing with my birds than I do gardening, oops. That is a fantastic quote :D

Here are the rest of the pictures of its setup at home.

Please excuse the huge amount of photos! Oh and the staining on the concrete is from the bottlebrush leaves. I plan on using the whole of the concrete for my dream aviary, and extending over it onto the grass which I shall pave

DSC03166.jpg

Little miss in pink was our site manager, she tried to help, really she did HAHAHA

DSC03169.jpg

DSC03170.jpg

I have attached shade cloth on instead of the clear plastic/Laserlite roofing I was planning on as we thought it may get too hot. If it doesn't get too hot in there, I may end up putting some clear plastic over the shade cloth BUT make it a bit elevated so airflow can still go through it. The shade cloth down the side and front will be able to be lifted up and down when necessary.

DSC03171.jpg

DSC03173.jpg

DSC03174.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

Behind the aviary is where I am planning on placing my rainwater tank. As the roof is slightly elevated so the rain falls down the back, I will be placing some guttering on it and connecting it to the tank - free fresh water!! B)

DSC03177.jpg

I'm abit disappointed the concrete pad isn't as flat as I thought it first was, but that's okay, we'll manage :D

And here are the additions to make my budgies nice and happy!! Well once they grow bigger of course!

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03181.jpg

DSC03182.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Peppermint trees, though that's okay as I have some seeds - hopefully I can grow them too!

Suggest you move this aviary far right ( forward towards your house )

DSC03170.jpg

Leaving the safety door of this one in a corner position...then mark out lines taking the "future" aviary bird room around the corner. :D Try it while you can and see how it looks this way.

We did originally have it all the way forwards, leaving a fantastic amount of space at the side and behind it. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Unfortunately because the concrete isn't level like we first thought, the front right corner lifts up quite a bit :D My husband said when I DO get to extending the aviary, that he will get the pad redone so it is level and smooth. (I think he must be warming to the idea!! YESSSS!)

We spent hours yesterday moving it around to all different positions, was such a mission but a most rewarding one as I had the satisfaction of building it myself, whilst my husband held the panels together.

Looks great!!! Do you have wire under the shade cloth roof??? I'd be inclinded to do so as they'll chew their way out of it I would think.

Looks great!!! Do you have wire under the shade cloth roof??? I'd be inclinded to do so as they'll chew their way out of it I would think.

There is wire............... DSC03174.jpg

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Well Done Amy! :D Glad to see 'the bug' has bitten. Please come to the MBC Championship Show on Jan 23rd 11-12 for meet and greet! :D

Ahhh... yes I see it now. Thanks!

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

You are doing a wonderful job Amy.

Please do not apologise for the number of pics. I think it is great!!

AGREED!!! Not only do pictures make it more enjoyable to follow, they help others who are/want to build their own avairy as well... The only limit to the number of photos you can post... is how many the forum will allow... then you just wait till someone else replies and post more :P

I was going to answer, but KAz beat me to it haha :D Yes I definitely have the wire. I just built the shade cloth into the framework of the aviary.

Well Done Amy! :D Glad to see 'the bug' has bitten. Please come to the MBC Championship Show on Jan 23rd 11-12 for meet and greet! :)

I am planning on it and very much looking forward to it! Would love to meet you, and every other budgie nut around!

You are doing a wonderful job Amy.

Thanks so much!! :D

AGREED!!! Not only do pictures make it more enjoyable to follow, they help others who are/want to build their own avairy as well... The only limit to the number of photos you can post... is how many the forum will allow... then you just wait till someone else replies and post more :D

I noticed when I was trying to post more pictures that they kept adding to the previous post I had done, so I waited until someone else had posted and then I added more! :P

I do completely agree that apart from everyone enjoying photos, like we all do - it gives brilliant ideas, information and suggestions - which I totally love. There have been numerous ideas to my dream aviary which I have taken on board and my plans are beginning to look a bit different from when I started. :D

Edited by Amy S

• Member ID:  5,501
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  710
  • Birthday:  15/02/1973

Cool Amy!!!!!!!!! It looks awesome!!!!

Sorry it has taken me a while to have a look at this thread, have kinda had my hands full (falling in love with puppy on S.A.F.E. Broome website :unsure: , saying prayer hubby will let me adopt puppy, hubby saying YES :D , paying for puppy plus her flight, picking puppy up from airport last Tuesday, taking puppy home, introducing puppy to old dog, old dog okay with puppy :lol: , teaching puppy some basics, settling puppy in, walking puppy, playing with puppy, taking puppy to vet and realising puppy has 16 odd ticks in her ears :o and also ringworm :fear and finally naming puppy as puppy was called Nala and hubby not liking puppy's name so now called puppy "Myah" :D ........................)

This is her:

2010_01_ourSAFEpuppy002.jpg

How can you not love a dog with a face like that :lol: She is a small terrier cross, what exactly is anyone's guess :)

She was from a dumped litter of 6 pups, has been with a foster carer for some time as she is 5 months old.

With regards to the ringworm, the vet could see it was already getting treatment with malaseb bath plus antifungal cream but told us to wash, wash, wash our hands constantly (so now have very very very dry hands B) sighhh, ah well, she is worth it, loooooooove her :) )

Cool Amy!!!!!!!!! It looks awesome!!!!

This is her:

2010_01_ourSAFEpuppy002.jpg

How can you not love a dog with a face like that :wub: She is a small terrier cross, what exactly is anyone's guess :)

She was from a dumped litter of 6 pups, has been with a foster carer for some time as she is 5 months old.

With regards to the ringworm, the vet could see it was already getting treatment with malaseb bath plus antifungal cream but told us to wash, wash, wash our hands constantly (so now have very very very dry hands ;) sighhh, ah well, she is worth it, loooooooove her :o )

Thank you!!! Its a big work in progress, but I'm so happy with it at the moment.

Your new little girl is just so adorable, looks abit like Pepper :) Just a younger darker version of her. Too cute!! Do they get on well now? Good on you for rescuing and homing her from S.A.F.E :D

In regards to my aviary - can anyone please tell me how they stop the water from running into the aviary from underneath? I am pretty sure that when it rains, it will run along the concrete into the bottom of the aviary - something I definitely DON'T want.

In regards to my aviary - can anyone please tell me how they stop the water from running into the aviary from underneath? I am pretty sure that when it rains, it will run along the concrete into the bottom of the aviary - something I definitely DON'T want.

The idea is to have the inside floor level of the aviary around two inches higher than the outer floor level of the aviary. Water cannot run uphill.

BUT as you are working with a ready to go slab you cant do it that way.

Try some rubber belting between slab and bottom aviary rails and some silicon when fixed into place. Cannot be where inquisitive budgies will get at it or chew it though.

The idea is to have the inside floor level of the aviary around two inches higher than the outer floor level of the aviary. Water cannot run uphill.

BUT as you are working with a ready to go slab you cant do it that way.

Try some rubber belting between slab and bottom aviary rails and some silicon when fixed into place. Cannot be where inquisitive budgies will get at it or chew it though.

okay, I shall give that a go :o Doing that though, would mean I can't fix the aviary to the slab wouldn't it?

I was actually just informed by Malcolm that pavers would raise the inside of the aviary floor by about 5cms... but they would be placed on the concrete slab - would that work? I'd have to cut them to suit as well wouldn't I?He said that placed inside the aviary so the aviary was around them not on them, would work fine as water would trickle underneath. But I'm not too sure they would be a good idea.

Soo confusing but I will try anything to make sure my birds are safe :wub:

On another note - I am picking up my 3mx3m shed this week so I can make a birdroom!! ;)

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Wow! It is all go at your place! :o Great to see your enthusiasm! ;)

Thanks Renee ;) You have no idea how excited I am....actually you probably do :o You would have been at this stage once hahaha