• Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  105
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

:rolleyes: you calling me stupid :P

I certainly hope I didn't! :D

Glad you two liked the video. :rofl:

Such a cute video! Your Qwerty looks just like my Romeo :D

It's cold here but so far we've only had one skiff of snow so far...too bad because I love snow. I'm on the southern tip of Vancouver Island so it stays very mild here. What part of Oregon are you in?

Does Romeo like to play with a ball? :)

Ahh, right on the coast. That makes a big difference. I'm in the Willamette Valley, about 2-3 hours from the coast. It rains fairly often, and sometimes it freezes in winter. Our winter weather isn't very harsh, but it's pretty dreary until March or so.

• Member ID:  5,182
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  965
  • Birthday:  04/08/1970

Qwerty is SO cute! :) Love the video!! I too am amused by the terms "English budgie" & "American budgie"... budgies are Aussies!! :D My little male, Peanut, is 10 months old & has just learned to say "Budgie boy!" Will post a video as soon as i have one!

• Member ID:  5,804
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19

Thank you! :D

I just got back from a three day trip, and Qwerty seems to be doing well. Lots of little warbling chirps and attempts to feed seed to people and toys alike. :P I'm having trouble conving Qwerty that the birdie playground I got for Christmas is not, in fact, a giant death machine, but I'm sure curiosity will win in the end.

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

Oh :D does he think its some sort of booby trap? haha :P That's funny. You're right, i'm sure curiosity will win. Good luck with it!

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Sprinkle some seed on it, or put some millet on it... food usually works!

Oh :emoticon112: does he think its some sort of booby trap? haha :D That's funny. You're right, i'm sure curiosity will win. Good luck with it!

I think I was too eager to introduce Qwerty to the playground when I first got it. :) Then Qwerty was all " :) " Anyway, thanks, I'll keep trying.

Sprinkle some seed on it, or put some millet on it... food usually works!

Curiosity and food are working slowly. ^_^ It may take a few more days, but Qwerty knows that there's millet in them thar hills, and has gone far enough to retrieve it from the bottom of the box tray and run back to my hand.

Oh, a fun development: I have managed to convince Qwerty to willingly accept head scratches. ^_^ It's extremely cute, and if didn't take both hands to do it (one to provide a perch), I'd have a video of it by now.

(P.S. - A disclaimer: "them thar hills" is just a joke. No, I don't actually talk like that.)

Edited by Radien

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I got your joke, Radien. :D (The original expression was "There's gold in them thar hills." Pertaining to the gold rush, I think)

P.S. How did you manage to teach him the head scratch thing. I've really been wanting to teach that to my boy, Kevin.

• Member ID:  4,805
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  860
  • Birthday:  22/09/1985

Qwerty (that felt strange to type as a word!) is a cutie, he looks like an active budgie and will provide you with so much fun in the years to come! It's great when they are so curious when young.

When I bought Django his birdie playground, I left it sitting about a metre away from his cage for a week before introducing him to it. It gave him some time to observe and realise that it didn't move and was not going to eat him! Now budgie and playground are inseparable.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

QUOTE(GenericBlue @ Dec 29 2009, 00:50) post_snapback.gif :what: you calling me stupid :D

I certainly hope I didn't! :D

i was just jokeing mate you didnt call me stupid

seems things are going well more vids or pics :)

please

I got your joke, Radien. :D (The original expression was "There's gold in them thar hills." Pertaining to the gold rush, I think)

P.S. How did you manage to teach him the head scratch thing. I've really been wanting to teach that to my boy, Kevin.

Okay, good to hear. :P Yep, gold rush indeed. I just wasn't sure how universal Applachian language would be, and I don't particularly want to be mistaken for one. :D

About the head-scratch...well, this may not work for you, given each bird's peculiarities, but I'll tell you what I did:

Qwerty can be quite moody, but often affectionate at the same time. If I hold my finger out in front of her beak, she'll start to complain and chew on it. When the finger doesn't move, she'll typically quiet down and start rubbing her head on it (she does this to my nose sometimes, too). When that happens, I attempt to move my finger around and start actively scratching her neck. Often, Qwerty accepts, and leans into it.

It must feel pretty good since I'm usually allowed to do it for awhile. :) But it only ever works when I allow Qwerty to initiate it (this is starting to become a trend with Qwerty).

Oh, I've started saying "she." This is because Qwerty is exhibiting what looks like a pink cere with white rings. Female still seems like a good bet.

Qwerty (that felt strange to type as a word!) is a cutie, he looks like an active budgie and will provide you with so much fun in the years to come! It's great when they are so curious when young.

When I bought Django his birdie playground, I left it sitting about a metre away from his cage for a week before introducing him to it. It gave him some time to observe and realise that it didn't move and was not going to eat him! Now budgie and playground are inseparable.

Thank you! :) I tried that with the playground, but only left it there for a day or two. Qwerty is curious, yes, but also very fearful... she won't go near any untested perch, and keeps running back to me after encountering something unfamiliar...even more so than when she first came home. Today Qwerty flew away in a panic from a gum wrapper ...

:what:

i was just jokeing mate you didnt call me stupid

No worries... I was joking too. :)

seems things are going well more vids or pics :D

please

Okay, I'll try to get some video this weekend. :D In the meantime, here's a small image:

33z4ozb.jpg

...and here's a bigger one: http://i49.tinypic.com/k9jx4.jpg

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Okay, I'll try to get some video this weekend. :D In the meantime, here's a small image:

:D

About the head-scratch...well, this may not work for you, given each bird's peculiarities, but I'll tell you what I did:

Qwerty can be quite moody, but often affectionate at the same time. If I hold my finger out in front of her beak, she'll start to complain and chew on it. When the finger doesn't move, she'll typically quiet down and start rubbing her head on it (she does this to my nose sometimes, too). When that happens, I attempt to move my finger around and start actively scratching her neck. Often, Qwerty accepts, and leans into it.

It must feel pretty good since I'm usually allowed to do it for awhile. :D But it only ever works when I allow Qwerty to initiate it (this is starting to become a trend with Qwerty).

okay, so Qwerty had to be the initiator. Kevin is getting used to my finger, but if I move it around, he will leave, So I guess I will just keep it still until he is more comfortable.

That is an excellent idea! I have Kevin's playground on the other side of the room, but now I will move it closer. :D

:D

The image below that line, silly, not in the middle of it. :what:

okay, so Qwerty had to be the initiator. Kevin is getting used to my finger, but if I move it around, he will leave, So I guess I will just keep it still until he is more comfortable.

Essentially Qwerty's initiating it, though she tends to rub her head on lots of things (guess it's just itchy). Yes, perhaps holding your finger still will work. Whatever gets the budgie to treat your finger like another bird's beak.

My first budgie (a male) would bill with my finger through the cage bars when I wiggled it around.

Edit: Your bird's name makes me think of the movie "Up"...

Edited by Radien

Edit: Your bird's name makes me think of the movie "Up"...

That's too funny! I had to ask my son, and he said "Yeah, Kevin is actually a bird" :D

He is the one who picked the name Kevin, so now I wonder....

For those of us older, it makes me think of the line from "A Fish Called Wanda" where the guy says (stutters) " K K K K Kevin is trying to K K K K Kill me"

That's too funny! I had to ask my son, and he said "Yeah, Kevin is actually a bird" :sadsorry:

He is the one who picked the name Kevin, so now I wonder....

For those of us older, it makes me think of the line from "A Fish Called Wanda" where the guy says (stutters) " K K K K Kevin is trying to K K K K Kill me"

Yes, you should ask him specifically. Your little budgie may be named after this creature. :rip:

901-UP_06.highlight.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

I think I vaguely remember that other quote, but for some reason I've never seen A Fish Called Wanda uninterrupted from start to finish.

• Member ID:  5,648
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2,400

I think I vaguely remember that other quote, but for some reason I've never seen A Fish Called Wanda uninterrupted from start to finish.

I'm that way with "Up"...my kids watch it but I only see little snippets as I pass through :sadsorry:

Glad to hear Qwerty is loving the head scratch!

Well then, as requested, here's another video of Qwerty. :D

I have another one that's more amusing, but I have a problem with it so I'll have to try again next time. I also tried getting the head-scratching on film, but Qwerty wasn't in the mood when I had someone in the room to hold the camera. Oh, I wish I had three arms.

I'm that way with "Up"...my kids watch it but I only see little snippets as I pass through :D

You should at least watch the entire opening. But bring some tissues. :P

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956