• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  800
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi GB,

How are you and how are your birds? Hope all are fine. Did you get the results from the vet?

Lea

Edited by lealotta

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Are the results back yet GB?

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Are the results back yet GB?

no i rang today but :emoticon112: ...but mmmmmmmmmmmmm

news

most my eggs i fosterd are hatched

and amongst them is a little split lacewing that the hen that i lost layed before she died :)

it could be a hen i guess their for not split but regardless she left her legacy

also i have two albinos and two lacewings so far one cinnamon's and a few Opaline

so all fine i had one dead in shell :) and 7 eggs left to hatch

fosters are doing great job i think theirs a few more dead in shell but really i dont know so i will leave them all till their tossed out of nest

i will let you all know when i get results i promise

:emoticon112: slow aren't they :)

:emoticon112: slow aren't they :)

very very slow s l o w

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Great news about your chicks :D

They probably can't find anything, which happens a lot here. It will probably turn out to be a guessing game.

GB at least you are treating them so all should be fine.

Do they all look healthy now after being on the turbosole and Doxy.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

most my eggs i fosterd are hatched

and amongst them is a little split lacewing that the hen that i lost layed before she died :D

it could be a hen i guess their for not split but regardless she left her legacy

i will let you all know when i get results i promise

It would be nice if it turns out to be a cock, wouldn't it?

Good luck with all those fosters! :fear

thankyou guys

yes it would be good to be a cock im hopeing :D

as if it is then i will have a lovely pair in the future with my own breed birds

the lacewing hen that hatched was from one nubbly 5 cocks my light green opaline /lacewing cock its mother is the sister to the lacewing that passed and the father of the chick im hopeing to be a /cock is a fantastic bird breed by borg and skivington partnership he has the most fantastic mask and spots :) :what:

as for birds being healthy well they look fine but i do feel that somethng s up what ....mmmmmmmmm i dont know but...as you said splat with them all being doxcyed and turbosoled not much more i can do

next is a probo once treatment is seized and for say a week i think then some lots of veg and fruit

then im going to baycox the lot of them and pro bo once more after that for three days

then rest till end april start of may for some autum chicks mabe i dont know yet im all out of wak

one thing is i will never breed in summer again this year i tryed for first time and no i dont think i will ever again

i shall go snap some pics of babys today and put up when i get a spare moment :D

I am with you on this one GB.

Up until this year I have aways finsihed my breeding in November the latest. BUT this year I still had 4 pairs down and they have only finished end of December, never agin and it's not fair on the birds either.

I ran into all sorts of problems with the heat. I got french moult which I have never got before and with birds that have never had it not even as babies. and other problems too.

Anyway shouldn't breed your birds in the summer months and they should be able to go into thier natural summer moult.

This is my opinion only.

Allso the breeder like me needs a break too. :)

I am with you on this one GB.

Up until this year I have aways finsihed my breeding in November the latest. BUT this year I still had 4 pairs down and they have only finished end of December, never agin and it's not fair on the birds either.

I ran into all sorts of problems with the heat. I got french moult which I have never got before and with birds that have never had it not even as babies. and other problems too.

Anyway shouldn't breed your birds in the summer months and they should be able to go into thier natural summer moult.

This is my opinion only.

Allso the breeder like me needs a break too. :)

snap

i got french moult first time ever

i got dead in shell first time ever

i got splayed legs,plucking hens and abandoned nests first time ever

as you say splat birds are meant to molt through out the summer twice one large and one small

its to hot for feeding screaming chicks the chicks get heat exhaustion, dehydrate if the water supply is low as the birds wont drink hot water from small dishes or drinkers and keeping the water cool through out a hot 37 to 38 plus day requires at least 5 water changes a day

even with these doors i made with copper messing to help chicks keep cool its no good

i rather healthy birds over many birds

and my birds got rundown before i even breed them and got sick from what we still dont know

never never never again

the birds i have paired but not nestting are looking fantastic so hopefully when the heats gone and autum starts i will have a few nice pairs incondition if not well i will simply just wait a tad longer :what:

if i did not help 6 of the chicks just recently hatched they would have died from exaustion trying to de shell so.....and i would have put it down to dead in shell as they couldnt excape

i see a chick start a way out if by that night chick is not chirpping much and egg is darker its time to step in but not before

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

thankyou guys

yes it would be good to be a cock im hopeing :laughter:

as if it is then i will have a lovely pair in the future with my own breed birds

the lacewing hen that hatched was from one nubbly 5 cocks my light green opaline /lacewing cock its mother is the sister to the lacewing that passed and the father of the chick im hopeing to be a /cock is a fantastic bird breed by borg and skivington partnership he has the most fantastic mask and spots :) :what:

as for birds being healthy well they look fine but i do feel that somethng s up what ....mmmmmmmmm i dont know but...as you said splat with them all being doxcyed and turbosoled not much more i can do

next is a probo once treatment is seized and for say a week i think then some lots of veg and fruit

then im going to baycox the lot of them and pro bo once more after that for three days

then rest till end april start of may for some autum chicks mabe i dont know yet im all out of wak

one thing is i will never breed in summer again this year i tryed for first time and no i dont think i will ever again

Sounds like a good plan! :D

I don't breed over summer and that is their rest time and time for me to implement a comprehensive maintenance medication routine. Six months rest is about right for me. :D

thankyou guys

yes it would be good to be a cock im hopeing :D

the lacewing hen that hatched was from one nubbly 5 cocks my light green opaline /lacewing cock its mother is the sister to the lacewing that passed and the father of the chick im hopeing to be a /cock is a fantastic bird breed by borg and skivington partnership he has the most fantastic mask and spots :D :what:

Sounds like a good plan! :)

I don't breed over summer and that is their rest time and time for me to implement a comprehensive maintenance medication routine. Six months rest is about right for me. :)

when do you start your breeding ren and before hand when do you start your routine medical :P:D

i use to pair in feb put box in 18th around about eggs layed by start of march april hatch may out nest and have a second lot staggered to have chicks hatching june july out then another stager of birds august hatching sep out and again october hatching november out thats it

that was with my pets i havent got a routine with my show birds as yet as im not sure when i should start them :D

I don't breed over summer and that is their rest time and time for me to implement a comprehensive maintenance medication routine. Six months rest is about right for me. :what:

when do you start your breeding ren and before hand when do you start your routine medical :D:)

i use to pair in feb put box in 18th around about eggs layed by start of march april hatch may out nest and have a second lot staggered to have chicks hatching june july out then another stager of birds august hatching sep out and again october hatching november out thats it

that was with my pets i havent got a routine with my show birds as yet as im not sure when i should start them :D

I start treating in December. So far my flock has had 1 full course of Fungilin (for Mega) and 1 full course of Turbosole (for Canker). Currently all aviary birds are on their second day of S76 (for Lice/Mites/and some Worms) which I do every month anyway. I'll give them a few days of Probiotics next and then re-do a Fungilin course. THEN I'll be pretty confident about drastically reducing the chances of residual Mega. Before the end of the month is up they'll get a second shorter course of Turbosole. You have to remember that I have had 3 hens diagnosed with low level Canker so everyone has to be treated as a precaution. Some time in February I'll commence the annual Doxy treatment ...

I like to separate the hens at the beginning of April and pair up and put down to breed at the end of April when the Autumn rains begin. But it all really depends on when it starts to rain and who is in breeding condition ... :P The last hens to finish are the last to go down. Most chicks start hatching out in May.

I don't breed over summer and that is their rest time and time for me to implement a comprehensive maintenance medication routine. Six months rest is about right for me. :what:

when do you start your breeding ren and before hand when do you start your routine medical :D:)

I start treating in December. So far my flock has had 1 full course of Fungilin (for Mega) and 1 full course of Turbosole (for Canker). Currently all aviary birds are on their second day of S76 (for Lice/Mites/and some Worms) which I do every month anyway. I'll give them a few days of Probiotics next and then re-do a Fungilin course. THEN I'll be pretty confident about drastically reducing the chances of residual Mega. Before the end of the month is up they'll get a second shorter course of Turbosole. You have to remember that I have had 3 hens diagnosed with low level Canker so everyone has to be treated as a precaution. Some time in February I'll commence the annual Doxy treatment ...

I like to separate the hens at the beginning of April and pair up and put down to breed at the end of April when the Autumn rains begin. But it all really depends on when it starts to rain and who is in breeding condition ... :P The last hens to finish are the last to go down. Most chicks start hatching out in May.

thanks for that ren

do u treat for cociddia at all

thanks for that ren

I give Triple C for a few days IF I see pooey bums OR in the winter if rain has got into the aviary. :sadsorry:

Cocci is a primary infection and if you have an outbreak you pretty much know about it sooner than later ... I haven't had a mass outbreak - touch wood! :rip:

thanks for that ren

I give Triple C for a few days IF I see pooey bums OR in the winter if rain has got into the aviary. :huh:

Cocci is a primary infection and if you have an outbreak you pretty much know about it sooner than later ... I haven't had a mass outbreak - touch wood! :D

yea im still learning whats what of the illness world as in whats really bad what treatable whats pretty much their for good and needs to be kept under wraps

what causes it and is it from my doing or en -edibally going to happen regardless of my husbandry :huh:

thanks for that ren

I give Triple C for a few days IF I see pooey bums OR in the winter if rain has got into the aviary. :huh:

Cocci is a primary infection and if you have an outbreak you pretty much know about it sooner than later ... I haven't had a mass outbreak - touch wood! :)

yea im still learning whats what of the illness world as in whats really bad what treatable whats pretty much their for good and needs to be kept under wraps

what causes it and is it from my doing or en -edibally going to happen regardless of my husbandry :huh:

Well, see everyone is different ... I am obsessive about Mega just 'cause I see it as the "silent" killer .... it weakens the immune system and is so prevalent in today's budgies. I am also obsessive about Doxy and give it to all my chickies in the kindie cage before being released into the Baby aviary as well as the breeder birds over the summer. Right or wrong I have been recommended it as a "booster" of the immune system because it is a broard spectrum antibiotic.

But I should add that inevitably you get a couple of birds that despite everything you do are just weak and mope about the aviary all day and never seem to come good ... they get the 'tough love" approach and if after all the routine meds treatment they are still not better I put them into a holding cage with easy access to food and water and wait for them to either come good on their own or cark it. :D

Edited by renee

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Renee & anyone else that is preocpied

with dosing there birds up with meds,

you are not leting your birds build up

an amunity to these problems.All you need

to be doing is worm the birds & treat for

external problems & you will not have the

problems,you think you have.I can only

speak for the breeders I know & they stoped

treating for all those problems,years ago. :huh:

Medication is great and so is preventive medicine but at the same time you should be careful as to not to over do it.

A wise man once told me to keep it simple and he said he hardly ever used antibiotics, his first choice of medication was a sulphur based medicine and then if that didn't work then he would move on the antibiotics.

I think we are over medicating are birds and stuffing up thier natural immune systems.

My opinion only

But like your birds GB you have to medicate them and this under vet supervision but for other breeders like me that guess and medicated, I sometimes think we are not doing are birds any favors.

treating for all those problems,years ago. :lol:

i agree here with you and splat, macka

i hate the fact that my birds are being medicated right now

but vets directions

im not even sure they had psittacosis (chlamidia)

but vet said to treat so i am

the reason i will be bacoxing my birds is i had a small out breake of cocci a few months back and was told to baycox then 3 months later do it again

then just when needed if needed

im waitting on my rezults grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

still im not happy

as if my birds are truley sick and its something else themn they are being treated for wrong issue and thats just a pain in the .......

i really want to give them all some veggies but i know i can not its soooooooooooooooooooooo hard my poor birdies :P:D (me)

Edited by KAZ

treating for all those problems,years ago. :D

Sorry Macka I didn't read your bit and i have repeated what you said but at least I am on the same wave link as you :P