What Happens To Budgies In Pet Shops If They Are Not Sold?

alpaca-boy

• Member ID:  5,785
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,225
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1992

Hi all,

the other day i was wondering....

what happens to budgies, and other birds, if they are not sold?

do they just keep them til they die?

i thought that it could be many years before they do

or do they get rid of them some how?

does anyone know the process ??

i dont really agree with the whole pet shop thing , though im sure some shops do

the right thing by their birds

grant :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

All budgies will sell. I have sold to pet shops in the past, and they are always after stock as they fly out the door... pardon the pun :P

Some chain pet stores will move their animals around between stores to increase sales. Adult budgies are sold just as rapidly as babies, so there is always a home for them to go to.

• Member ID:  5,688
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  200

Yep, they sell fast.

Noticed (here in Hobart) that most of the pet stores had got in a lot of new stock in the last week or so. Mostly young birds that had been through a moult. Clearly breeders looking to sell of the first batch of babies from Spring (and it was a later start I suspect as Aug and Sep were very wet).

I just wonder how many survive their first 12 months in their new home...

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l also wounder how many gets returned to the petstore or gets rehomed. After the novelty of having one has worn off.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

l also wounder how many gets returned to the petstore or gets rehomed. After the novelty of having one has worn off.

A lot of my chickies go to the Pet Shop. It is hard to let them go and most times I will take more to the Pet Store than I actually leave there .... you just have to say good bye and good luck.

• Member ID:  3,449
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  987
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  5,965

Yeah i know what you mean... Its hard letting them go even though its you income!

Yeah i know what you mean... Its hard letting them go even though its you income!

From the Pet Shop? :) You've gotta be kidding! :)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

From the Pet Shop? :) You've gotta be kidding! :)

on that not how much do people get for their birds at pet shop

i can get 10.00 and 15 for show stock

but i prefer to sell for pets tamed to hand for 15 wormed and ivomectomed

• Member ID:  5,688
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  27
  • Achievement Points:  200

Major pet store down here, offers 5-7 dollars a bird regardless of age/type or quality as far as I can tell. Might offer more early spring when stocks are low and breeding is only just producing a few young. They sell everything for $25. Nice business if you can get it. Suspect I'll breed, stock up and then sell via the paper for 15-20 when pet shop stocks are down.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Well I am going to be the devils advocate and say we really don't know what happens do we? We only hope for the best. I am sure there are some that will keep them until they sell but there are others that don't.

• Member ID:  5,785
  • Content Count:  306
  • Achievement Points:  2,225
  • Birthday:  08/08/1992

Well I am going to be the devils advocate and say we really don't know what happens do we? We only hope for the best. I am sure there are some that will keep them until they sell but there are others that don't.

yeh you see do we really know?

i assume most of us made a guess right?

man they make a quid on a bird

5-7 dollars and they sell for around 25-30

about $20- 25 dollar profit =0

id sell privately for sure, problem is finding the clientel

better treatment for the birds, and more money in your pocket, makes sense!

thanks for all your comments!~ grant :rofl:

well im actually quiet suprized as i dont even put add in paper or do i tell people i sell birds

i just helped out the pet shop once with a bird some one was particularly after and from their i have had many people come and buy birds from that one mans word of mouth

he was very happy and impressed with his little bird that was around the fires last year

i also sell alot through this sight and people have come from saint kilder in city and further just for my little birds so im quiet proud

i normally really go out of my way to do best by my buyers and also when i have on hand include bells iodine and charcol cuttle bone and a birth certificate i make up if the want and send out via mail once names been confurmed all this for 20 dollors thats including bird

i only started breeding pet types for sale so people who really want a well tamed pet could have one with none clipped wings to enjoy at a small price for return of knowing the bird is happy

i get e mails with up dates for a while before they start to fad off but i know their in good hands

i have refuzed sales also

if some one wants them for breeding their priced on how many mutations they carry

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  5,804
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Achievement Points:  105

A lot of my chickies go to the Pet Shop. It is hard to let them go and most times I will take more to the Pet Store than I actually leave there .... you just have to say good bye and good luck.

I can see myself doing this if I bred budgies... and that's why I never wanted to become a veterinarian even though I love animals. I just don't think I could stand the heartbreak.

Speaking from an uneducated consumer standpoint, I really think budgies are worth more than they sell for, at least in the U.S. Compared to the cost of food, cage, toys, etc., the price of the bird is negligible compared to everything else. That's why I didn't blink at paying US$25 for a tame, hand-fed budgie. Especially since it took me several months to find a local breeder with budgies in stock, thanks to the U.S. economy, which is understandably scaring off the people who breed budgies as a hobby.

Edited by Radien

I can see myself doing this if I bred budgies... and that's why I never wanted to become a veterinarian even though I love animals. I just don't think I could stand the heartbreak.

Speaking from an uneducated consumer standpoint, I really think budgies are worth more than they sell for, at least in the U.S. Compared to the cost of food, cage, toys, etc., the price of the bird is negligible compared to everything else. That's why I didn't blink at paying US$25 for a tame, hand-fed budgie. Especially since it took me several months to find a local breeder with budgies in stock, thanks to the U.S. economy, which is understandably scaring off the people who breed budgies as a hobby.

Well it is a life style choice for us. We love our pets and our spending priorities reflect that. :rofl:

Well it is a life style choice for us. We love our pets and our spending priorities reflect that. :rofl:

i agree ren

i personally dont ever buy myself much if i do its for the birds thus making me happy

eg today i had spare 14 dollors so i brought two big bunches of millet for birds while the recooping this was way better than a new top or a coffee and cake or what ever normal people buy cd vidio what not

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Content Count:  392
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

Hi alpaca boy, I would say that a pet shop proprietor would never allow a budgie to die of old age, rather,if a bird was of a particularly undesirable color [we wont call her ugly], the price would drop until it's sale was inevitable. In business it is very important to turn over your stock, and keep things fresh. Hey, why are you called alpaca boy?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hi alpaca boy, I would say that a pet shop proprietor would never allow a budgie to die of old age, rather,if a bird was of a particularly undesirable color [we wont call her ugly], the price would drop until it's sale was inevitable. In business it is very important to turn over your stock, and keep things fresh. Hey, why are you called alpaca boy?

The price could afford to drop Richo. Most pet shops dont want green budgies and only pay meagre amounts for the coloured ones. What they pay for the budgies and what they sell them for...its a lucrative game ;)

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

The bird dealer,pays us,regardless of age. Greens $1.80 Blues & grey $3.00 Spangles $5.00 Red eyes $5.50

Dom Pie $6.00 & Rec Pie $6.50.He picks up from 200 to 400 birds each Quarter.

I am glad that there are good pet shops that will swap birds for seed, cash or equipment.

At least the excess birds get an opportunity for life experience, for without the pet shops, the alternative would be somewhat cruel and wasteful, and the birds and the hobby would suffer for it, as would our learning which leads to greater understanding, so life would be less exciting, less colourful, less learning, less opportunity, less choice.

It isn't for everyone, but it isn't for others to deny the opportunity and choice either. They can make their own choices.

There is great enjoyment in pet ownership, and it leads us on further to appreciating the natural environment, farming, agriculture and conservation efforts, and in some cases even assisting this or undertaking paid employment in these fields because we have self-made experience. Not to mention all the other tangents we go off on to learn about. What a marvelous opportunity.

I love all the lessons that animals teach us, and the opportunities they give us. I'm looking at my fluffy laying on his back with paws in the air outside sunning himself, whiskers twitching in dream sleep as I type this. He is so cute. I imagine he might be dreaming about things in his life relevant to his experience of it.

I think he has a very good life. He is one very served and pampered king fluffy. Mostly I believe the animals benefit and evolve from the experience, as we do.

A pet is a life-time commitment. It is a good service from a pet shop that takes back an unwanted pet or a stray, and re-sells it to someone else who will take care of it. I prefer to think of the positives.

Of course they need to be making a profit out of it because that is how they make their living, and we have all bought in to this concept of putting a monetary value on everything, otherwise it would cease to exist and no one would learn and that would be a wasted opportunity. There is purpose and enjoyment to be found in it and a teaching of discipline and responsibility.

I don't believe that anyone would breed budgies if they did not derive enjoyment from it.

Everything is an exchange of energy of some kind.

The bird dealer,pays us,regardless of age. Greens $1.80 Blues & grey $3.00 Spangles $5.00 Red eyes $5.50

Dom Pie $6.00 & Rec Pie $6.50.He picks up from 200 to 400 birds each Quarter.

your bird dealer sucks macka lol

but i guess it gets rid of them for you

i stilll recon you had a few good ones id buy them for 20 off you lol :)

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Wow i feel like a rip off artist haha! Any bird that leaves my home goes for $35 hand tame... all others are kept as either life time breeders/pets

Other than that i do a yearly cull of breeding stock that go for between 10-15 - these are generally the pet birds i've bought in over the years... I don't think I've sold any of my adult birds that I myself bred as they all end up with a name and a life time home if i keep them once past taming point

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Just how many birds do you people sell to the pet shop,that you

can get,the money you say or are you the only person in the area

selling budgie's to the petshop,as I said in another post,our club

sell 2 to 400 budgies each quarter to the bird dearler & the pet shops in the Geelong

area will pay you $ 5.00 for the odd young bird & the back yard

boys have the market corned any way.into the pet shops in the

area. I don't sell any birds direct from my place,you only attracting

unwanted people to your home, its not worth the hassle..

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

sell 2 to 400 budgies each quarter to the bird dearler & the pet shops in the Geelong

Maybe there is a glut over your way Macka. What do those petshops sell the birds for where you are. Over here they will pay $10-15 and they mark them up to around $30-35. We can sell birds from home in the paper for $20 or more depending. I wouldnt take all and sundry out the back of my place to see the birds. Any for sale ones will be seen at the door or around the side of the house where they dont see our setup. You have to maintain some form of security as we here in W.A. have had our share of budgie thieves.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Content Count:  392
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

While visiting the fam in canberra over christmas, I happened upon a lovely pet shop which will only sell pets as gifts if the recipient is there when the purchase is made. Of course they can only do so much, [just quickly digressing back to alpaca boy's post] and this has resulted in two sides here. Side 1 are those who own one or a few budgies, side 2, those who breed in what some will call commercial quantities, that is, are required to cull regularly. The fact is that most of us live in a city and must use a pet shop. It is not possible for we city dwellers to just slip "out back" and go cocky hunting. In that way, both sides need each other! I personally sit firmly on the fence but would love more general awareness regarding animal welfare.

im not the only breeder to sell to the pet shop here macka

infact their is other pet shoips that by birds for few pennys more 15 for english as they call them

and 10 for the pets

you pay 22 up depending on colour and mutation though

22 for a green and 25 50 for blue

47 is the amount you would get a lute or a rec fellow lacewing or anything else in that area of mutations

i sell to the pet shop that i know the birds leave from the quickest :lol:

when i sell from home dont mind showing people my set up but i have cameras so and i dont think my birds are prize winners like some of you so

as i said i mainly sell from here (this sight )and word of mouth only sometimes we have been known to arange a place closser toi the buyer for pick up as im pretty out of the way

as far as birds and what happens to them in shops i will ask my pet shop what happens to his old birds and let you know

Edited by GenericBlue