• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Recently there has been mention of the need to feed Show Budgies Meat Protein in order for them to develop into their true genetic potential, especially with regards to feather quality. :)

I already give all my birds a tablespoon of Muscle XL into their soft food daily (it works out to be about 1 1/2 kilos) and I have been pleasantly surprised with the increase in size of this years chicks, in many case the fledglings are almost the same size as their Mum's when they go into the Kindie Cage. ;)

Now I have been warned not to overdose as too much of this protein can lead to bones which grow too fast and are then susceptible to easy breakages, so I am careful. :)

But time and time again I hear of many top breeders who feed their Show Budgies meat protein and swear by it. :)

I suppose you could call me a reluctant convert, I will do it if I absolutely HAVE TO. But before jumping in with both feet I feel the need to explore this topic in more depth.

So here's some questions for Kaz, Dean and Daryl, our nutrition experts,

How MUCH protein is TOO Much?

And What is the Difference between MEAT protein and Whey Isolate protein?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

A lot of this has been discussed in the rabbit pellet topic and also in other places wink.gif

My thoughts as already discussed in the rabbit pellet topic are.... At the moment I feed mine chicken carcasses on occasion. I use whey protein ...the kind I put you onto. My chicks at 5 months on having been brought up on the whey protein are far exceeding their predecessors. Not change of breeding, change of feeding. The chicks to my eyes, are starting to look like heavyweight wrestlers with shoulder and substance.

I believe in meat protein. I am about to embark upon a regular serving of chicken to all birds under strict guidelines re timeframe left out for them to consume thus keeping it safe.

"Protein - What Is It?"

Proteins are essentially compositions of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, traces of other elements and differing combinations of amino acids, which are linked together into a long chain by peptide bonds. There are 22 different amino acids of which 12 can be made inside a Budgerigar's cells. Every body tissue and fluid with the exception of bile and urine contain proteins. However, because of the differing combinations of amino acids within a protein, those found in one tissue may vary greatly from those found in other tissues or fluids.

A protein that contains adequate levels of all the amino acids are referred to as "complete" or "high quality" proteins, whereas those proteins which are deficient in one or more amino acids are termed "incomplete", "low quality" or "limiting" proteins. In other words, the protein quality describes the amount and proportion of essential amino acids in relation to a Budgerigars requirement for these amino acids.

Why is this important?

Proteins in the body are constantly being made and broken down. As mentioned, a Budgerigar can synthesise some amino acids from other amino acids but in order to do this, several "essential" amino acids, namely arginine, lysine, methionine, tryptophan, histidine, leucine, phenylalanine, treonine, valine and glycene must be present. The only source of these ten essential amino acids, is through the diet. As the body does not store these amino acids for later use, (they are passed through the kidney as waste within several hours) they must be present at the time other non-essential amino acids are introduced into the system in order for synthesis to occur. Additionally, if there is not enough energy supplied by the diet, these essential amino acids are then utilised for energy requirements instead of synthesis.

In general, animal proteins are considered to be "high quality" proteins, while proteins from vegetable sources are felt to be "incomplete" or low quality (lacking one or more of the needed amino acids). For example, the amino acid strength of legumes are lysine and isoleucine while their weakness is limiting tryptophan and methionine. Of the other vegetables, tryptophan and lysine are strengths while weaknesses are isoleucine and methionine. Although we don't know all of the specific amino acid requirements for our birds, we do know that serious amino acid deficiencies and/or borderline amino acid deficiencies cause:

Poor growth.

Poor feather growth.

Reduced egg size.

Lack of melanin pigment in black-coloured feathers.

Increased susceptibility to bacterial, viral and fungal disease.

Decreased reproductive success.

Increased body fat.

High mortality.

We are additionally aware that during certain life cycle processes there are increased requirements for intake of "high quality" protein.

"Critical Nutritional Periods In Breeding Hens And Chicks"

Unlike mammals, which continuously pass nutrients through the placenta to the developing foetus, the Budgerigar must create an egg, which contains everything that the single celled ovum needs to develop through its embryonic stage. In addition to its mineral content of 3% Calcium, 6% Phosphorus, 0.15% Sodium, 0.16% Potassium, 33 mg/kg of Manganese, 0.3 mg/kg Iodine, 0.35 mg/kg Zinc and a few less important minerals in minute quantities, the production of this egg also requires a tremendous amount of protein. Unless this supply of high quality protein is supplemented in the diet, the hen is forced to draw upon all of her available protein reserves; even that which is necessary for her own maintenance. Those who wish to breed Budgerigars cannot overlook the significance of this.

Research has demonstrated that control parent pairs fed only basic seed diets without supplementing, produced poorer quality, smaller, brittle feathered hatchlings in the third nest and thereafter smashed their fertile eggs prior to hatching. Control pairs from similar genetic breeding stock were able to produce and feed well grown, well feathered, vigorous fledglings for as many as 5 to 7 consecutive nests on protein supplemented diets.

It is also not surprising that the hens increased requirement for high quality protein supplementing and production of high quality protein crop milk corresponds with a hatchlings critical weight gain period, During the period of egg incubation, protein rich cells begin to break away from the lining of the proventriculus of the breeding hen to form crop milk. This milk on analysis, shows very high levels of protein, fatty acids, lecithin, Vitamins A and B, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorous, calcium, sodium and manganese. Unless otherwise supplemented, these nutrients are again drawn exclusively from the hens body and tissue reserves to support the growing hatchlings needs.

The First 28 Days

During the first 28 days of life, a chick's weight increases from 25 to 35 times its hatching weight of 1.2 to 1.5 grams. At this time, the forces of a developing blood system, nervous system, organ system, skin and feather system are competing within the chick for whatever protein resources are available from the crop milk and other foods offered. The overall affect of protein and amino acid deficiency during this time is sub-normal growth and development. As feather protein contains a higher amount of cystine than other body proteins, it is also during this time of maximum feather growth in a nestling that the relative requirement for cystine may also increase.

There are additionally some conditions that are directly related to specific amino acid deficiencies throughout these critical times. In studies of fowl, leaving out just one of the essential amino acids in the diet of a laying hen led to a decrease in her food consumption as well as an immediate decrease in egg laying. The production of keratin, which forms the nails and beaks of developing embryos, is dependent upon sufficient methionine, cysline and cysteine. Deformity of the tongue is linked to insufficient lencine, isolensine and phenylaline. A lack of tyrosine leads to thyroid hormone deficiency, which is evidenced by poor feathers, no feathers, and dark pigment melanin missing in feathers. Convulsions can be caused by inadequate amounts of pyridoxine. Incompletely formed feathers can be caused by deficiencies in arginine and glycine while food lacking arginine, methionine and glycine, from which the body synthesises creatine for normal muscle, produces poor muscle tone.

Of all the essential amino acids, however, lysine is maybe the single most important when it comes to growth, feather production and mortality. This is true not only during the initial growth period, but during the next critical nutritional period as the chick emerges from the nest box and begins the process of weaning. It is during this time, as a result of increased activity, continued feather growth and diminished intake of food that growth curves show a decided drop off.

Nearenberg et al., showed that food efficiency and body weight gain improved in 4 day old Cockatiel chicks fed 25% to 28% of their body weights per day. As the chicks grew, food intake decreased to about 15% of their body weight while food efficiency declined slightly. From 12 days to 3½ weeks when adequately fed, Cockatiel chicks reach peak body weight, there is a slight decline in food intake from 15% of body weight. As the crop capacity relative to body size decreases and passage of food into the gut is reduced there is a dramatic reduction in food intake to a level that is maintained until weaning. From the point that peak body weight occurs at 3 to 3½ weeks through weaning, when begging behaviour diminishes and less food is accepted, a number of chicks lose weight. Countering this period of diminished food intake and decreased food efficiency with an increase in the nutrient value of that food which is taken in, is extremely important.

In a Grau and Roudybush study designed to determine the quantitative lysine requirements of young Cockatiel chicks based primarily on growth, newly hatched chicks were fed diets in which the pure amino acids were mixed in place of protein. The lysine content of this mix was then varied from 0.1% to 2.0%.

Extract from The Master breeder by James Bratt.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

;) wont they get mad budgie desise :) thats really interesting, well i learnt my one thing for today Edited by LILBABYBUDGIES

:) wont they get mad budgie disease :)

:) I think my budgies are already mad ;)

• Member ID:  4,388

I believe in meat protein. I am about to embark upon a regular serving of chicken to all birds under strict guidelines re time frame left out for them to consume thus keeping it safe.

Aha, I see you have jumped to the second part of the debate, What is the best meat protein to feed? :) ... no probs, I am flexible ;)

I have heard around the water cooler that some people leave out a chicken carcass for a limited time for their birds to pick at and yet others boil up chicken necks to remove fat and once all bones are soft put it all through the grinder and freeze into ice cube proportions. :)

I am concerned that unless you buy Free Range chickens you may unwittingly be feeding your budgies the same steroids that commercial farms use to promote rapid growth in the pursuit of profits. :)

As it stands I don't like eating chicken so chicken carcasses are out for me and as much as I love my budgies at this stage I am not prepared to go out and buy a grinder specifically for the purpose of feeding them chicken necks .... B)

Yet other breeders I know feed their Show Budgies Meatmeal but elsewhere it has been disclosed that many times this is made from "the raw material includes , fish , sheep , goats , horses & dead animals that have died from whatever disease as they all have to be disposed of. These dead animals include all of the above plus dogs , cats , rabbits,rats, mice and birds of all descriptions and thats just to name a few."

Further on the topic of Meatmeal is the following anecdotal advice "I also recall two of our top, former breeders who stopped using meatmeal because they said it made the hens aggressive. They told me they had experienced hens ripping babies apart in fits of frenzy. When they stopped the meatmeal the savagery stopped too. How true that is I cannot say..."

So Meatmeal is a definite NO. NO for me. B)

I had been considering Gourmet Mince meat and cooking it up .... However it was pointed out to me that many supermarkets still use colorants in their meat sections - sigh. B)

I am concerned that unless you buy Free Range chickens you may unwittingly be feeding your budgies the same steroids that commercial farms use to promote rapid growth in the pursuit of profits. ;)

Well maybe then we can start budgie races as a sideline :)

I am concerned that unless you buy Free Range chickens you may unwittingly be feeding your budgies the same steroids that commercial farms use to promote rapid growth in the pursuit of profits. :)

Well maybe then we can start budgie races as a sideline :)

:);)

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

The problem, I have encounted in feeding high

protein & things,was had some good sized birds,

But they did't breed for me.I might of just pumped

them up to much.As the saying goes,all is good in moderation. ;)

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Haha , They already have pigeon races, so why not budgies? haha.

I would be worried about the birds eating the meat, then eating chicks? Kind of like with chickens, you shouldn't feed them egg shells because then they start eating their eggs?

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

This is the golden question. Given the pellet manufacturers use around 15-20% protein, if we are to supplement an extra source of protein, how much is optimal before they get too much and results decline or birds experience problems due to excess? And further, even if we feed a very high protein content food the amount of protein taken in per bird will vary greatly and be proportional to the amount eaten. Some birds go nuts over soft food and the like whilst others stick almost exclusively to the dry seed bowl.

One way to work this out would be to feed a group of birds a single feed where the protein content is known (pellets would be ideal for this). They would get NO extras as the varying consumption of such would render this research invalid. To this single food source a known quantity of say a protein powder is added and then the protein level recalculated. You would then need to establish a number of groups of birds and feed each group a diet of different protein from the next over say a breeding season. The birds would ideally be related and so similar in size, temperament and features. What we are trying to do is remove all the variables which are generally present in our setup. Each group would also need close monitoring for early signs that their level is too extreme so that no birds were harmed.

Now, I don't know anyone who's got enough time/money/birds to try something like this. So for now we rely on others (especially on this forum) to post of their experiences suggesting how the use of "such and such" supplement has improved size or feather growth and how much they used. And we hope and trust that the amounts used are correct and optimal.

I will cite a personal example of how too much of a good thing can be dangerous. Back when I bred budgies as a kid there were very little of actual supplements available for bird breeders. Medications were based on those used for poultry and very hit and miss. At the time many top breeders advocated the use of soluble baby vitamins (ie Pentavite, Abidec etc) in the drinking water as a supplement. The suggested dosage was just a few drops per drinker if I recall. So, being young and eager I got to thinking that "more must be better" and gradually upped the dosage. Within 3 weeks a few nests of young chicks were going "red and rubbery" and I lost a few. I quickly removed the vitamin supplement and the problems stopped. Of course most of us now know that vitamin toxicity can occur, but hey, I was only 13. So my advice: remember to stick to the dosage rate!

So Renee, to answer your question, ummm....... is LOTS an answer? :rofl: It kind of comes back to what most of us have been saying all along: keep variety in the diet to cover as many bases as possible.

Protein (click on link ) Edited by KAZ

This is the golden question. Given the pellet manufacturers use around 15-20% protein, if we are to supplement an extra source of protein, how much is optimal before they get too much and results decline or birds experience problems due to excess? And further, even if we feed a very high protein content food the amount of protein taken in per bird will vary greatly and be proportional to the amount eaten. Some birds go nuts over soft food and the like whilst others stick almost exclusively to the dry seed bowl.So Renee, to answer your question, ummm....... is LOTS an answer? :rofl: It kind of comes back to what most of us have been saying all along: keep variety in the diet to cover as many bases as possible.
Excellent input Daryl. :rofl: As to your proposed study, well I am all for it BUT - NOT ON MY BUDGIES! :)
Protein (click on link )
What an eye opener Kaz :rofl: Thank you for posting that information :) Edited by renee

Protein (click on link )
What an eye opener Kaz :rofl: Thank you for posting that information :rofl:

I was curious about whether or not cooking altered protein so I did some research.

Protein (click on link )
What an eye opener Kaz :rofl: Thank you for posting that information :)

I was curious about whether or not cooking altered protein so I did some research.

Yes indeed! :rofl:

Well it goes to reason that wild budgies when they do scavenge on meat don't wait for it to fall off the barbie, do they? :rofl:

Now this opens up another avenue of possibilities .... RAW meat?! :)

Edited by renee

Protein (click on link )
What an eye opener Kaz :rofl: Thank you for posting that information :rofl:

Interesting about the cooking effect. Although the article was in regards to humans, the gist of it was that protein should be taken in minimal amounts! I guess if you look long enough you can find an argument to support just about any side you care to take. It all adds up to even more confusion...... What is your plan on using the additional protein after reading that article?

Edited by Daryl

Interesting about the cooking effect. Although the article was in regards to humans, the gist of it was that protein should be taken in minimal amounts! I guess if you look long enough you can find an argument to support just about any side you care to take. It all adds up to even more confusion...... What is your plan on using the additional protein after reading that article?

I wont be cooking the *** outa the chicken thats for sure. I may just stick to the whey protein powder and egg powder. Its doing the trick anyway,

Interesting about the cooking effect. What is your plan on using the additional protein after reading that article?
I am now leaning towards RAW MEAT - yet to decide on what. :rofl:
What is your plan on using the additional protein after reading that article?
I wont be cooking the *** outa the chicken thats for sure. I may just stick to the whey protein powder and egg powder. Its doing the trick anyway
But I thought the whole point of a thorough boiling was to get all the fat out and soften the bones so they could go easily through the grinder? :rofl:

I wont be cooking the *** outa the chicken thats for sure. I may just stick to the whey protein powder and egg powder. Its doing the trick anyway,

Is this too much cooking? The Colonel usually does my chicken.

chicken.jpg

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

i would not be feeding raw meat ren

to much can go wrong

stick to cooked if any :rofl:

to much can go wrong

What do you mean GB? What could go wrong? :rofl:

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

to much can go wrong

What do you mean GB? What could go wrong? :rofl:

e. coli

salmonella

bovine encephalitis

trichinosis

the list goes on. It's why we are not supposed to eat undercooked meat and eggs.

now, if you could provide them with freshly killed wild animals raw... :) :rofl:

now, if you could provide them with freshly killed wild animals raw... :) :rofl:

Thinking, thinking..... :rofl:

Large highway, fresh roadkill :rofl:

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

now, if you could provide them with freshly killed wild animals raw... B) :rofl:

Thinking, thinking..... :)

Large highway, fresh roadkill :)

Well, if it's good enough for the crows and the vultures.... :rofl: :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

There are people who only eat meat they kill, and others who are happy to eat roadkill.

May we never reach this stage ourselves.

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

Roadkill...somebody mention Roadkill. Couple cats on the road early hours of this morning. ^_^ ummm. Anybody for cat chicken chow mein.

Vultures and similar birds who main job is to scavenge on dead and decaying carcasses have evolved over many thousands of years to deal with the associated problems that come from rotting corpses. They themselves have a mouth/beakful of nasty bacteria etc.

Hey Dave I guess if your stuck and starving I reckon one would eat just about anything.

i would not be feeding raw meat ren to much can go wrong stick to cooked if any :D
What do you mean GB? What could go wrong? :huh:

e. coli

salmonella

bovine encephalitistrichinosis

the list goes on. It's why we are not supposed to eat undercooked meat and eggs.now, if you could provide them with freshly killed wild animals raw... :D :question:

Bovine encephelitis also known as Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) has not made it's way to Australia as yet that I am aware of. The practices used here are slightly different to overseas. I believe our rules are stricker on what goes into cattle feed. In the UK when this first errupted it tooks ages to find the source. Turned out it was obtained from feeding meat meal in which Scrapie infected sheep had been used in the mixture. It is a horrible thing to watch the poor cattle suffer this disease.

In humans it is known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD).

Edited by RIPbudgies