• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

As most of you know now... Cosmo has been very sick twice, spent 3 nights in bird hospital last week and is slowly on the mend. He may get better totally but it's likely that he will be susceptible to catching another infection.

Anyway, on Boxing day we are going away for 10 days and the budgies are supposed to stay with my parents... who have budgies of their own so I trust them to look after them well.

I'm just not sure what to actually house them in while they're there. Their usual cage is extremely big... not sure if we could fit it in our car - maybe in two trips, one for the cage one for the stand. Or we have a smaller cage that is not really big enough for them permanently but maybe it could do for 10 days... except for the fact that Cosmo has been sick and I want to stress him no more than absolutely necessary.

The good thing about the small cage is that it hangs on a stand... my mum has a cat, so having it on a stand is good. The budgies will probably be on the veranda during the hot days, so the small cage can be brought in and out depending on the weather, whereas the big cage would be too heavy for them to move. I'm not sure what the cat would do if the big cage was inside all the time, although if we did bring its stand maybe it would be okay.

The small cage would be heaps easier.... except, it is small :)

Possibly my mum might have an in between cage, but that would probably involve rearranging all her budgies and putting some together that are currently separate, I don't think that will work too well... and again, would involve Cosmo having to adjust to a new cage as well as a new environment.

What are your thoughts?

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

As most of you know now... Cosmo has been very sick twice, spent 3 nights in bird hospital last week and is slowly on the mend. He may get better totally but it's likely that he will be susceptible to catching another infection.

Anyway, on Boxing day we are going away for 10 days and the budgies are supposed to stay with my parents... who have budgies of their own so I trust them to look after them well.

I'm just not sure what to actually house them in while they're there. Their usual cage is extremely big... not sure if we could fit it in our car - maybe in two trips, one for the cage one for the stand. Or we have a smaller cage that is not really big enough for them permanently but maybe it could do for 10 days... except for the fact that Cosmo has been sick and I want to stress him no more than absolutely necessary.

The good thing about the small cage is that it hangs on a stand... my mum has a cat, so having it on a stand is good. The budgies will probably be on the veranda during the hot days, so the small cage can be brought in and out depending on the weather, whereas the big cage would be too heavy for them to move. I'm not sure what the cat would do if the big cage was inside all the time, although if we did bring its stand maybe it would be okay.

The small cage would be heaps easier.... except, it is small :)

Possibly my mum might have an in between cage, but that would probably involve rearranging all her budgies and putting some together that are currently separate, I don't think that will work too well... and again, would involve Cosmo having to adjust to a new cage as well as a new environment.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Krosp, It says 2 birds kept on profile. If it's still 2 birds your asking about could you put them in the smaller cage a couple of days before you go. Then just transfer them to your Mum's? If it's on a stand etc it's probably safer than rearranging your mum's birds, quarantine etc. when the birds are staying away from home. Then Mum could keep closer eye on Cosmo for any trouble. You say small, but, smaller than show cage etc or just your average pet shop cage? It should be o.k. for ten days. Enjoy your holiday. :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I agree. a small cage will be fine for a few days. small cages are only really bad for long term. a short term stay in a small cage should pose no problems :)

• Member ID:  4,621

Small as in standard pet shop cages - I think it's about the minimum recommended size for one budgie long term, we had Cosmo on his own in there for about 8 months before we bought a huge cage in preparation for getting him a friend. Then Piccolo was alone in there for his quarantine too. One on its own in there is fine... some people would definitely keep two in there though. But the main reason I was asking is because I wanted to know if Cosmo being sick might benefit from only having one big change in environment (location) not two (cage)..

That is a good idea to keep them in the small cage for a few days before we go. Thanks guys for the advice.

On another note... recently we went to a pet shop to buy one of those stretchy elastic things you can put around the base of the cage to stop seed spilling out... and we copped a bit of flack from the pet shop owner when she found out that we only had two budgies in such a large cage. She was like "seriously? two budgies? wow okay then, they are very lucky!" or something like that. That attitude is kind of sad.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

But they are very, very lucky Krosp...let me thank you on their behalf, you set a wonderful example

• Member ID:  4,621

Thanks Richo!

But yes it is hard to convey tone by the internet... but it was kind of like in this looking at us strangely kind of way, like as if you'd have two budgies in such a big cage

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I think I understand, like havihg a flower in a vase... some people should not have pets