• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  340
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Some of my birds started to wave their tail feathers up down continously , it is more obvius when they spend some effort flying etc...

When closely looked , the reason seems to be the ritmic tightening muscles around the vent area , they still eat well , fly well , is this a sign of ilness ?

Both females and males do it .

Thanks in advance for all the responses .

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Its called tail pumping and in most cases can be a sign of illness. You will have to assess each bird on an individual basis. Check them over for weight loss, poopy bottoms and signs of parasites.

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

if they are with other birds isolation might be handy :fingerscrossed: goodluck and keep us posted

• Member ID:  5,303

There is a very obvious pumping motion of the brest with each breath and they are stretching their neck , if what I learned is correct the aim of this is straightening their trachea .

I guess this is a lower respitory infection , I started a treatment with tetracycline 3 days ago , there is a noticeable improvement on the birds , tail pumping is less .

The treatment will continue until Sunday but by the medic , they had diarrhea , I will add

boled potato and banana to their diet .

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,303

I just would like to report the status , I had lost 6 birds out of 30 effected , the rest is recovering well , like Kaz said the problems differed in each bird and I have had to learn many lessons as the vets around the city I leave have very minor experience on birds .

Now , my medicine inventory covers a wide range of diseases , hope I will not have to use them again .

I was not having a separate hospital cage with heating or lightening availability , so I had to begin the treatment in a room temparature of 16 C . Later , when I was able to create a temparature controlled enviorement around 30 C within hospital cages , there happened a real quick improvement , in a few hours they were more active and feeding themselves better .

One thing , I was sorry is a lack of crop needle as with this on hand I might had been able to save more birds , never the less I ordered some and will be ready to use in a week .

As I said , after bad experience with the vets around , I decided to learn more on the bird diseases , for now , I have no intension in budgerigar breeding , more likely my aim is to keep my flock healty and happy . I stoped the breeding until I feel myself confident in keeping budgies .

I will be glad if someone can suggest a detailed book for budgie health problems , their disagnosis and treatment .

Thanks in advance .