• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  860
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  22/09/1985

My search for "night fright" didn't yield any results similar to my problem at the moment, so here goes:

We've noticed, on several occasions, that Django has been climbing the walls of his cage after the lights are turned off. His cage was moved to our study about 4 weeks ago. We turn down the blinds in the study when it gets dark outside, and cover him at about 8.30pm with a light tablecloth (folded about 3 times). The BF and I usually stay in the study at our computers until 10.30pm. The main light in the room gets turned off the same time we cover him, leaving a desk lamp for ambient light as we work at our desks.

The nights have been warming up, so we started sleeping with our bedroom door open last night, and heard lots of "clink-clank" going on. I wasn't surprised, as the previous time it happened his cage was in the living room, and I had hung a long purple dress on the wall opposite from his cage. The dress was probably the reason he got scared and started climbing, so I took it down and left a lamp on overnight.

The BF puts him on his top perch every night, but he jumps off anyway. We are unsure if he does his nightclimbing activity every night, but will monitor from now on. We're going to buy a night light this week and pop it in the room, hopefully that will help? :blink:

• Member ID:  2,550
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  465

I am no expert but I think night fright is more when they start flapping around frantically in the cage, that is quite serious as they can damage their wings, I am not sure what Django is doing is night fright.

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Are there any signs of anxiety or just moving around the cage?

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

doesnt sound to me like it but need more detail. im sure he is fine but just to be on the safe side as you can never take enough precautions for budgies :blink: x x

• Member ID:  5,405
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  151
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  935
  • Birthday:  13/03/1996

My budgie does this too. After I turn the lights off and he is in the dark, he'll start to climb around the sides of his cage for a couple of minutes. I have a feeling it because in your case, and mine as well, our budgies like to sleep on their 'top perch' and that they are just trying to find their way to their top perch in the dark. I am pretty sure it's nothing to be worried about. Nibbles does it quite often, and he's fine.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I'm pretty sure you'll know if it was a night fright. They completely loose the plot, it's very loud, they thrash around the cage and you often get an injured bird due to a damaged blood feather. My budgies, both inside and aviary often climb the wire and re-arrange themselves. I personally wouldn't be worried, unless its gets worse and he's getting injured. The fact that he has also done it on several occasions and is okay also says to be that it's not. :D

• Member ID:  3,445
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  400
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

My budgie does this too. After I turn the lights off and he is in the dark, he'll start to climb around the sides of his cage for a couple of minutes. I have a feeling it because in your case, and mine as well, our budgies like to sleep on their 'top perch' and that they are just trying to find their way to their top perch in the dark. I am pretty sure it's nothing to be worried about. Nibbles does it quite often, and he's fine.

Charley does that too. I cover him, then I've tried to wait with turning off the light till I know he's on his swing, but he tends to wait till I turn out the light, before I THEN hear him climbing up the side of the cage to his swing. It's almost like he doesnt want me to see him going to bed!! :D

But what he does, is then give a soft little chirp, as if to say "I'm right now!" I generally wait till I hear that little chirp then I say "Good night Charley, its bedtime", he gives another little "chirp" and that's when I leave him. :D

I think your little guy may be doing the same!! :)

Edited by thk

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

It is probably because you are still in the study with him but he is covered so he can't see you. Merlin will do that if hei s covered and I am by my computer, he is looking for a way to see you. I would assume he stops it after you leave completely.

• Member ID:  4,805

Are there any signs of anxiety or just moving around the cage?

Just moving around, I guess. It's hard to tell. When I check on him (without turning on the lights) he looks all hunched up. Sometimes I find him hanging from the ceiling!

But what he does, is then give a soft little chirp, as if to say "I'm right now!" I generally wait till I hear that little chirp then I say "Good night Charley, its bedtime", he gives another little "chirp" and that's when I leave him. :D

Charley is soooo cute, he's got such a great personality. Gives me the fuzzie-wuzzies when you describe what he does. :D

It is probably because you are still in the study with him but he is covered so he can't see you. Merlin will do that if hei s covered and I am by my computer, he is looking for a way to see you. I would assume he stops it after you leave completely.

It's weird, we do put him on his top perch just before 'lights out', he usually jumps off quickly, then starts climbing once we have left the room and it's completely dark. When we are in the room after he has been covered, he's still quite alert and chirps to sounds from our computers.

I am worried, I guess, because he doesn't stop climbing until a lamp has been switched on overnight for him. The first time it happened, I sat in the living room in the dark listening to him. He would climb very awkwardly and loudly, stop for a few minutes, then start again. It went on for a whole hour until I switched the lamp on.

Thanks everyone for your answers, I'm glad it's not a serious thing to be worried about, I do like Django to be comfortable in the dark, he's the panicky sort. :)

Edited by sootie

• Member ID:  5,494
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  900

I have to laugh about Charley, my Horton does the same thing.

I think some birds just take longer to find a good spot, kind of like getting the covers just right around your feet.

• Member ID:  4,805

*update*

Glad to hear from all of you that it's not something to be worried about! He hasn't climbed in the dark since, and I'm guessing he only does this when he gets spooked.