• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I personally wouldn't buy from any pet shop. A breeder is always a better choice.

• Member ID:  5,648
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  2,400

I personally wouldn't buy from any pet shop. A breeder is always a better choice.

I couldn't agree more! I have only ever bought one bird from a petshop and it was completely mentally unstable. It would freak out disproportionately to any situation and eventually ended up killing itself by slamming itself into the bars of the cage one too many times. Come to think of it, this same pet store sold my kids a hamster that only travelled in circles...it was incapable of running straight ahead...always counterclockwise circles.

Pet stores aren't known for reputable breeding but I do know of one bird shop whose owners are phenomenal breeders but it's a small family owned shop and they were breeders LONG before they opened the shop.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I agree with Maesie...

But in the event that someone does buy from a pet shop, its best to closely observe the shop and the birds in it. Make sure everything is clean and ALL the birds are bright and healthy. If anything looks off, walk out, or complain.

• Member ID:  3,445
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

I too agree with the above. I bought Maxie from petshop, could not tame her no matter how I tried. She was terrified of humans and aggresive (out of fear no doubt). Even after 12 months she was still the same towards me. I bought Charley from a breeder however and he's the tamest, most sociable, adorable budgie I've ever 'met'!

The breeder was not a well known or show breeder, probably what one would call a "backyard" breeder but obviously he bred his birds with lots of love, affection and care, as Charley was totally hand reared (as were most of his other birds) and is so well adjusted and content.

I'm no expert but have always put it down to where they were purchased .. i.e. well cared for but "loveless" petshop compared to loving, caring breeder.

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

if you can't buy one from GB then go to this website - http://www.bcv.asn.au/Clubs.html and find your nearest club and ask them if they know anyone that has any birds...

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I'm just wondering which petshops are the best in Melbourne

these are my candidates just incase I can't buy a budgie from Genericblue :rip:

Pet paradise

Mad about pets

Nunawading birds and pets

feel free to add to m list! :)

We cannot advise you on the open web in case a negative message gets picked up and gets this forum in trouble. Thats why we try not to say anything about specific petshops named................GOOGLE would have it all over the net in seconds :(

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,686
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,020

okay thank you! :rip:

Edited by KAZ
edited out shortcut language which is not allowed as per forum rules

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

TOTALLY agree with Maesie......

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

these are my candidates just incase I can't buy a budgie from Genericblue :)

Pet paradise

Mad about pets

feel free to add to m list! :huh:

im quiet happy to sell you bird mate all my birds 15 to members pet type that is

all come wormed ivomectomed and tamed to finger sholder

i usually through in a few little extras if i have in stock exess eg iodine bell charcol bell and a few millets

i did pm u my number im sure if not please let me know i have pet type chicks just hatching this week 6 so far and their dom pied and yellow face all clutches will have violets cobalts and skys with or with out yellow face dom pied and norm ;)

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

If GB was near me I would buy one of her birds in a flash - scratch the pet shop idea :)

• Member ID:  4,686
  • Content Count:  123
  • Achievement Points:  1,020

If GB was near me I would buy one of her birds in a flash - scratch the pet shop idea :)

okay no pet shops for me! :bow: :D:)

You will pay at least ten dollars more in most cases for a petshop bird.

You will get lied to about its age.

You will get lied to about its sex.

You will never know its parentage or if it was mass bred sibling to sibling parentage for the market and not bred for health and vitality.

You will buy a bird that has been put in with others with no shop quarantine...so may be incubating a disease already.

A breeder will give you a guarantee of health.

Knowledge of the birds parentage.

Most often accurate sexing and age.

Some direction as to diet and ongoing feeding regime.

Most often backup support and phone number for questions after purchase.

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

goodluck :blink:

If GB was near me I would buy one of her birds in a flash - scratch the pet shop idea -_-

thanks krosp :blink:

as kaz said any breeder who honestly cares about where their birds go and the buyer in general will be more than sportive after bird gets home

and all the above she stated

• Member ID:  5,405
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  151
  • Achievement Points:  935
  • Birthday:  13/03/1996

I know that we all have different opinions, but I bought Nibbles from a chain pet shop and I couldn't be happier with him. He was quite easy to tame and he is the most lovely chatty little boy. But I guess if I was to buy another budgie then I would buy him/her from a breeder as I prefer my money not to go to a chain store. As well as in the beginning the birds theat you see in a pet shop do come from a breeder.

Edited by Hannah

I know that we all have different opinions, but I bought Nibbles from a chain pet shop and I couldn't be happier with him. He was quite easy to tame and he is the most lovely chatty little boy. But I guess if I was to buy another budgie then I would buy him/her from a breeder as I prefer my money not to go to a chain store. As well as in the beginning the birds theat you see in a pet shop do come from a breeder.

There are exceptions of course, and there are breeders and there are breeders. As petshops rarely pay more than $5 for a budgie the calibre of the breeder goes down. Most breeders who care about their budgies do not sell them for $5 or less, and they would rather meet in person the new prospective buyers of their lovingly raised birds.

With your lovely budgie did you get any history of its parents ? health history or otherwise ?

Edited by KAZ
Guest cranberry

Breeders will only sell you birds when *they* feel like it. And try finding one in your area that has stock when you want it. The same way you are sterotyping pet shops as dirty and full of disease, what makes you think some breeders are above this? Someone who is labelled a "breeder" is not necessarily someone we all imagine a breeder should be. I have visited breeders that keep their birds in conditions that should be reported to the authorities. I have bought stock (budgies and finches) from breeders that have turned out to be absolute ****. It's like they know their stock is garbage and they try to offload it onto the unsuspecting public. They have died on me while my pet shop stock has thrived. I contacted a budgie breeder here in Adelaide for some stock and he wanted $50 each for his dregs. That's not a real incentive for someone trying to get into the hobby.

Anyway, pet shop stock inferior? I say bollocks! If you see a nice bird in a shop and the majority of birds there look in good health, don't hold back...

breeders will only sell you birds when *they* feel like it. And try finding one in your area that has stock when you want it. The same way you are sterotyping pet shops as dirty and full of disease, what makes you think some breeders are above this? Someone who is labelled a "breeder" is not necessarily someone we all imagine a breeder should be. I have visited breeders that keep their birds in conditions that should be reported to the authorities. I have bought stock (budgies and finches) from breeders that have turned out to be absolute ****. It's like they know their stock is garbage and they try to offload it onto the unsuspecting public. They have died on me while my pet shop stock has thrived. I contacted a budgie breeder here in adelaide for some stock and he wanted $50 each for his dregs. That's not a real incentive for someone trying to get into the hobby.

Anyway, pet shop stock inferior? I say bollocks! If you see a nice bird in a shop and the majority of birds there look in good health, don't hold back...

Like i said....There are "breeders" and there are "breeders" good and bad in all walks of life. Same goes for petshops...Good and bad. But if you can find a good breeder then you get a little more with your purchased bird than you likely would get in a petshop. Background history of its parentage and grandparents and great grandarents history of longevity or health. A good breeder will be able to sex a bird more accurately than some of the guesses pet shop staff take, and likely will not try and pass off an adult with clipped wings as a tame baby. In most cases.

I guess the thing is, we hope the breeders you will find will have the knowledge and integrity some of us bbc breeders have.

Some of the dodgy backyard breeders ( and i have found them too in the past ) .......These in most cases are the commercial breeders who stock petstores and do not care about the measly $3-$5 they get for a bird. Of course there are good breeders who sell to pet stores too.

BUT the original poster here on BBC has the option of buying from a reputable BBC member, so thats really cool.

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

okay this issue always has two opinions to it. so im not saying either is right or wrong. there is pros and cons to both sides. it really depends on what your looking for. yes breeders get diseases as well as pet shops. its really up to you. some pet shops are better than others and thats the exact same with breeders. breeders will usually have a breeding back round but if your lucky you can track them from a pet store. x x i dont want bitchiness about pet shops and breeders its up to you darl

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

There is a pet shop in South Melbourne that has some nice exhibition birds come in every now and then, every time I go past it I pop in just to see if they have any of his/her birds in... they are all rung, most of them are around 2 years old... to be honest though I'm not sure that I would by from the pet shop... I'm going to jot down the ring code one day and find out who the breeder is and then see if I can contact them direct...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

You all are bringing up some very good points. It just goes to show how many facets there are to this issue. Jimmy, I really like your idea about checking the id on the ring. I hope that works out for you.

I've added a few birds to my flock lately :) , and I've gotten experience now with both types of private breeders and good and bad pet shops. I've made "email pals" with the good breeder I found, which is helpful, and fun. If I lived near GB, I would dearly LOVE to be able to buy birds from her!!

There is a pet shop in South Melbourne that has some nice exhibition birds come in every now and then, every time I go past it I pop in just to see if they have any of his/her birds in... they are all rung, most of them are around 2 years old... to be honest though I'm not sure that I would by from the pet shop... I'm going to jot down the ring code one day and find out who the breeder is and then see if I can contact them direct...

thats exactly what i do sometimes jimmy

it helps if you know the breeders name and his birds status

ive a few times gone to pet shop seen a good bird with great potential and asked to look at bird

got the ring

and called breeder with the code asked why it was culled if its worth putting in to my stock for show purposes

im lucky as the breeders culls in my local are very good breeders with repribale names so they do give honest answer

ive got some fantastic birds for next to chips

all good breeders and main reason for being culled is size they were the smaller birds from the clutch

i must admit

i dont often buy hens i did once but again i ask reason for cull

this time it was as the breeder was breeding for a particulate birds mutation and colour with no need for rest of clutch

he said that the whole clutch was their

and that for a beginner they would be perfect he pet shops birds regularly out of the fact that

when they dont if into his major cull sales in the queens birthday week end its not worth keeping the exes on till next one as he knows what hes breeding for

and honestly

i get them cheeper at pet shop than if i go direct so..........

that idea does work jimmy

i apreshiate that some you would love to buy my birds thanks it makes it feel worth while

also i suply birds to pet shop from time to time

but i breed them specially for him for colour and mutation i dont get your normal 5 dollors and i do it to try and suply good healthy stock into the petshop

they buy others birds but mine do stand out to the buyers

being wjhere i am its hard to get people who are willing to travel the extra didtance

i do keep my prices low and i do give a garentee of birds health(and will replace bird if passes with in the first month if bird is brought back for my anilization )usually even if it was your own fault ...eg broken neak due to out of cage experiance , the birds are wormed ivomectomed and all have history if wanted

if i find that bird has been starved or other wize not kept well and caused death then money is refunded and i will no sell again to that person :)

• 12 years later...

• Member ID:  9,627
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  5
  • Achievement Points:  37

I have brought from Nunawadding Birds and Pets and have brought some rippers. I recommend dealing with Johnny who works there Sat/Sun and have found him to offer the best advice. All the budgies I see there are club rung not that is any guarantee but coupled with Johnnys knowledge and advice it’s well worth the look.  

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  9,647
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Achievement Points:  55
  • Device:  Windows

On 09/11/2009 at 7:34 AM, budgiegirl said:

these are my candidates just incase I can't buy a budgie from Genericblue :rip:

Pet paradise

Mad about pets

feel free to add to m list! :(

To be honest, I was expecting to see a big list of stores here :) But found this link below, there really are a lot of sellers, thanks for that :)

On 09/11/2009 at 10:23 AM, JimmyBanks said:

if you can't buy one from GB then go to this website - http://www.bcv.asn.au/Clubs.html and find your nearest club and ask them if they know anyone that has any birds...