• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

Hoping you can give some advice.. Charley is not himself today.

I'm not sure if its the change in climate (yesterday was 40 degrees, today about 20), he was fine this morning, it seems sudden, he's quiet, fluffed up and seems to be bringing up seed. He sort of does the action of bringing up seed to feed his bells (which he does quite often) but then shakes his head and little seeds fly around the room. Not all the time, just now and then. Also every now and then he tries to "play'. but then reverts to his fluffed up quiet state.

I'm keeping an eye on his droppings, they seem more white than black at the moment. His bottom is okay, no dirt at all.

I live "remote" and no vet around nearby so wondering if there is anything I can do myself to make him more comfortable. He is in the office with me and we go home in an hour. Is it best to cover his cage when I get home (and keep him warm), or best to keep watching him? Do they sometimes just have "off days" (like we do) or should I begin to worry? Its very sudden. He was a bit stressed yesterday when I took him home as it was very hot.. i sprayed him a little with water so he would cool down, he seemed fine and noisy as usual in the evening and first thing this morning.

Every now and then he hops down as he used to, to "feed" his little bell attached to his ladder (his favourite bell!) and talks to it quietly, so he's not sitting still ALL the time.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! (the boss has turned the air conditioning down in the office as they all love Charley and will do everything to make him comfortable ..even if it means they are sweating!!!)

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Hi thk,

I'm sorry I'm not experienced enough to give you any advice...

I hope Charlie is going to be okay..... :)

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Poor Charlie!!! I'd cover three sides of his cage and put a lamp over him to provide warmth. I can't offer any other advice, sorry, but I hope he's back to his normal self soon.

• Member ID:  3,445

Got Charley home and put some Avi-Drops in his water. He seems more lively. He's now playing with his toys again, and chatting a little though not as "loud" as he normally is. I'll cover him early this evening and keep him quiet (he tends to overdo his playing sometimes, he can be very boisterous!).

I've kept the air cond a little warmer in the room and he seems to be improving. I've changed his sandpaper so I can keep an eye on his droppings. Hopefully he'll keep improving although I am aware, from reading this forum, that they can suddenly take turns (up .. or down!)... so I'll keep a close eye on him.

I can't believe how suddenly they can change.. from top of the world, to a fluffed up listless little bundle.. then back to (almost) top of the world again. Is this common? He is still constantly trying to feed the bell attached to his ladder, is definitely a lot happier now though.

Its the first time he's ever looked "off colour" (he's 2 years old) and boy doesnt it give you a fright??? I felt sick in the stomach everytime I looked at him (and that was every 3 minutes!!). I can sympathise with others now who have or have had sick budgies! The thing that made me feel ill was thinking that my best little mate was suffering!!! Hoping he will be himself by tomorrow morning!!! :)

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Keep us updated thk.....

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

can i ask

do you always travel charlie to work and home

if you do then okay as he would be use to this but if not then the stress of driving him to and from work the new environment and all may of had an effect

just a though

it does sound like he goes to work a lot though as you say everyone loves him

so im thinking this is a normal thing for him and he is use to it daily if not then that could of stressed him just enough

to put him out

Yes GB, he has been coming to work with me every morning for the past 6 months and loves it. I'm in the outback and work is about 3 minutes drive from here, I take his cage every morning, and home every afternoon. He loves the car, loves the office (knows everyone there, talks to them all and will even sit on fingers poked throught the cage).

He knows when we get in the car each morning that he's going to work, he usually starts chatting in the car, telling all his bells where we're going. I have a cover for his cage that someone made for him, he's not stressed at all when I put it on the cage.

I think the problem is this. Yesterday when it was 40 degrees I didnt put the cover on his cage as I normally do in and out of the car. I thought it would be too hot. I hadnt counted on the 60kmh wind gusts outside, Charley usually doesnt mind the wind when I have the cover on and he feels it a little through the cover, he gets excited and flaps his wings. Yesterday however, without the cover, the wind blew rather strong and he flew around and around the cage (I felt it was either excitement or a little fear!).

As we got in the rather warm car I then sprayed him lightly with a little water (maybe a mistake in hindsight!), I had cooled the car as much as I could before we got in, the drive home, about 3 minutes (tops). He was panting a little so when we got inside the air cond house (not TOO cold).. i sprayed him a little again (maybe another mistake!). Before too long he was himself... chatting and playing as he always does.

This morning off to work he was fine in the car and when we first got into the office (his chatting echoes around the office!).. then this afternoon I noticed he was quiet.. too quiet.. too fluffed and too listless. Suddenly!

Now that he's home he seems fine, does pay a bit more attention to his bottom but I'm watching his droppings, I had just cleaned the cage so I could keep an eye on them, and there's already one "normal" looking dropping. He eats quite often and I saw him have a drink of the water with the drops in it. He's playing again (throwing his toys around) but I'm covering him up early tonight for a rest. Tomorrow is my day off so he will be home and I'll keep him quiet.

So I guess what I'm saying is, he loves the trip to and from the office (has always loved car rides, right from "birth!") and gets excited when we first get to the office and more excited when the regulars drop in and say hello. He generally shows off when someone comes in, talks to them and does all kinds of crazy tricks.

Thats why this was totally out of character for him. So suddenly! But hopefully... it LOOKS like he's getting better, but I wont take it for granted and will still keep a close eye on him and keep the drops up in his water for a few days I think.

I guess what I was wondering was if this is common for a budgie .. to change suddenly from tops in health to suddenly seeming sickly, then just as suddenly healthy again? Do they sometimes get a little off colour (tummy aches?? head aches??) like we do? And would his constant regurgitating mean anything.. or would it be bad for him.. or has he just got a fettish for feeding his bells... or does he sometimes "over eat"??

okay .. so many questions.. but these are the things that go through your head and the things you would like answers to. As I said .. I'm appreciative of any opinions and advice. So thank you to those who have already commented!! It is always good to hear from others who have experience! :)

Edited by thk

I'm glad he's perked up again. They are such small precious creatures, and as you said, can change very quickly. Another thing to remember, is that by the time we notice they aren't well, they may have been 'off colour' for some time... and this may just be the case with when they seem to be better too. I'm hoping however, this is the start of him on the improval! It's not a nice feeling at all... especially as you know they hide their symptoms for so long... I always feel guilty... like I missed something. Although that's not the case.

** Get better soon Charlie*** :)

EDIT: Just read ypur above post... the extreme changes in temperature with the air conditioner, winds and spraying probably had something to do with in...

Edited by maesie

Yes Maesie.. I thought spraying him was a good idea (at the time) but I've since read a few things on this forum, one in particular saying that its not necessarily ALWAYS a good idea to spray them as it may make it more "humid" for them if the air is very hot, especially as it was, 40 degrees and so very windy (a hot wind therefore). Next morning it was totally opposite (this morning) quite cool.

My boss, who adores Charley too, said on those very hot afternoons instead of taking him from the cool air conditioned ofice into a rather hot car, better to leave him at work ...he still sees people as they work shifts and the only time he's "alone" is between 7pm and 7am which is a good sleep time anyway, he's been left there before when i've been away for a few days and then there are plenty of "friends" to look after him, so he is quite unstressed when he is left there and has always been bright and chirpy when I come in the next morning.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I believe it was the temperature change too, I hope he is feeling better today. Keeping him consistently warm right now and making sure he is eating and drinking should help him recover.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

the weather is really tough on the birds at the moment. I am not as north as you, but we still got up to 40 degrees the other day and then it SUDDENLY dropped to below 20 in the space of an hour or two... My birds have taken it okay so far... :)

If he ever looks off colour, shine a 25-40 watt globe on him so he can cuddle up to it. Heat is often the best cure for our little feathered friends. I hope he is 100% better soon .

Thanks Liv.. I will make sure I'm more careful from now on! I think it was the extremes of the 40 degrees and hot wind, then next day 20 degrees... and of course the air conditioning, and my BIGGEST mistake, spraying him with cool water!! How awful to think that you yourself have possibly caused him to get sick! Talk about guilt.. as Maesie said!! You think "how could I have been so stupid!!"

I will be more careful. I have felt now what it's like to think you are going to lose your precious buddy!!

To update.. he's perfectly fine now.. I've still got the drops in his water, thought I might keep that up for a few days. I never thought I would be so excited to find a little pile of droppings below his "bed" (swing) this morning! Phew!! And to hear that first little bell ringing (when he wakes up, before I take his cover off, he always softly rings the little bell on his swing... that tells me he's awake).

When you are so devastated faced with a suddenly sick budgie and you know not where to turn... so comforting to even get onto the forum and talk to someone who understands!! Thank you!!

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Glad he is back to his cheerful self :) - yes, keep up the drops for at least 5 days total.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

im so glad hes back to himself he is such a beautiful bird :)

It gets to you doesn't it... and as easy as it is for me to say... try not to blame yourself, I know it's hard. I'm so thrilled he is getting better though :D