• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  80
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1949

Hello everyone.

My little female`s name is Limonade. She is about 6 months old. About 2 months ago, we decided to get a male and he`s now about 4 1/2 months old. I didn`t know she was a female at first because I was very new to budgies. But now I do know...At first, they used to get along so well, preening and kissing each other, sleeping side by side. For the past week almost, she`s been attacking him more and more and won`t let him eat or sleep without picking on him. When I let them out of the cage, she goes where he is and attacks him.

Presently, I put her in another cage. He slept most of the afternoon. (His name is Ocean). The poor little guy was probably traumatized. I don`t know why she is doing that as they got along so well before. Can someone help please and tell me if this is normal behavior for birds and why all of a sudden she doesn`t like him anymore? I took her out of the cage because he kept looking over his shoulder to see if she was going to attack him. I had two of everything but she made his life miserable all the time.

Help please and thank you.

Marie :D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

She is of an age where she is around moulting time. She would be getting grumpy. Make sure she has plenty of protein ( mashed boiled egg, chicken meat etc ) and keep therm apart for awhile till she gets over it.

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I have found many females to be moody - sometimes female budgies are too :D (every guy is thinking it, i am just saying it)

[if you are annoyed at this point, it is a joke]

I agree with Kaz's advice.

• Member ID:  5,678
  • Topic Count:  3

Hi and thank you. And of course, I`m not annoyed. I`m a woman after all and I do get grumpy. The thing though is that they usually get along so well preening and kissing and playing together. I can`t get over how it changed in only 3-4 days. Do you think she will always hate him or is this a passing thing with all budgie couples?

I read somewhere than when budgies have bonded, they are together for life...I didn`t realize that she would come to be so angry at him.

We recently got a green cheek conure parrot who is in the same room as the budgies. They are all in the living room with us. He sometimes walks on their cage but I don`t let him there long though. I let the budgies out too but never at the same time as the little parrot. Limonade started acting out around the time the parrot got here. Could that have anything to do with it???

Also, I will work on the protein. She seems to be knawing allot at the calcium bone in the past week as well as the iodine bone...The calcium bone way way more than usual. Is this normal behavior? She gets vegies every day and applies when we have them as well. They aren`t crazy about vegies though. They will nibble at them if put in front of their face but they don`t eat them much.

When can I start putting her back into the cage with him do you think? Should I wait to make sure they preen outside the cage first? I`m so sad at this cause I hate to see them on opposite sides of the room in separate cages. He slept almost all afternoon after I took her out and only ate a bit. I guess the poor little guy is still traumatized. It`s the first time she has acted out. She`s usually good natured. Now she`s unbearable with him.

Thank you for your help...Any comments are welcome.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

If you can help it, don't let her give him a hard time... It's not as if he can get away...

• Member ID:  5,557
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3
  • Achievement Points:  25

If you can help it, don't let her give him a hard time... It's not as if he can get away...

Hi

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I have found many females to be moody - sometimes female budgies are too :D (every guy is thinking it, i am just saying it)

I wasn't thinking of it, she wants him, but it is not reciprocal. Remove them.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I have found many females to be moody - sometimes female budgies are too :P (every guy is thinking it, i am just saying it)

:D:D It is a funny joke! :):D

• Member ID:  5,678
  • Topic Count:  3

I have removed Limonade from the cage and put her in another one yesterday.ATTENTION EVERYONE.Just for an update, I removed Limonade from the cage yesterday and put her in another one. Ocean is the one who is getting attacked. They used to preen and kiss each other often and now she was always attacking him. But I have to tell you that he doesn`t look well at all since yesterday. He sleeps most of the time and barely eats. He drinks more often than he sleeps and seems to have a hard time getting from one perch to the other.I uncovered him awhile ago and he did eat a little millet but barely. Usually when I offer it, he dives right in. I put the millet so he could reach it. He drank water 2-3 times already and is perched and sleeping again. He seems to fall asleep everywhere. I even managed to hold him in my hand which is very unusual cause he doesn`t want to be held. There are no avian vets around here so right now, I have him partially covered so he doesn`t see her and he`s sleeping.I don`t know if it`s the latest stress that caused this or if he`s sick. Any comments would be welcome.

PS. Should I now be putting this post in health issues?????

Edited by Marie

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I responded to your other post about both issues above and moved it for you to the correct section.