• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi All, Does anyone know if there is any harm in cuttle fish getting wet (as in rain). I have some in flight, we have had showers over last two days. Could birds get any "bugs" of it, if it's wet for a day or so before it dries out in sun? Its hanging not on ground.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I would say it all depends on how fresh and clean it was in the first place and whether or not the birds used to to perch on and poop on :rip:

I most likely wouldnt use it if it got wet myself, but then I am not a fan of cuttlefish :rip:

• Member ID:  4,647
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  735
  • Birthday:  23/06/1993

my tiels always chuck their cuttlefish in their water dish, and they still eat, they are still fine, as Kaz mentioned she is not a big fan, you really need to supplement there intake with other calcium supplements, not only that, increase vitamin D3 levels for better absortion

• Member ID:  5,241

my tiels always chuck their cuttlefish in their water dish, and they still eat, they are still fine, as Kaz mentioned she is not a big fan, you really need to supplement there intake with other calcium supplements, not only that, increase vitamin D3 levels for better absortion

Hi 'cameronsch', I have an open fully wired flight for birds to get out in sun etc. which they love, I have some cuttlefish out there as well as in aviary. Would that give enough Vit. D. ? I have liquid cal as well but do you need it also, all the time. They get plenty greens etc also. thanks for advice.

Hi 'cameronsch', I have an open fully wired flight for birds to get out in sun etc. which they love, I have some cuttlefish out there as well as in aviary. Would that give enough Vit. D. ? I have liquid cal as well but do you need it also, all the time. They get plenty greens etc also. thanks for advice.

If they are getting sun then they have their own source fo vitamin D3

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

Cuttle fish is has been used over the years as a source of calcium for cage birds. Today there are many other ways in which calcium can be supplied. Vitamin D3 is not a component of cuttlefish, it is manufactured by the bird with the sun being a catalyst to begin the process.

If cuttlefish gets wet it usually will not pose any problem as it tends to dry out again fairly quickly with a bit of sun and wind around. In winter with constant wettness and higher humidity it can develop a covering of green algae. Getting wet constantly can leach any goodness out of the cuttlefish.

I personally stopped using cuttlefish over twenty years ago. I use manufactured forms of calcium as they are provided in a ready to assimilate form. Vitamin D3 can now be purchased in liquid form. Also remember the soft foods we feed will also contain calcium and other minerals....so use the manufactured liquids only when required. If you can make sure you bird has access to direct sun for a few hours each day or for those who can't you need to supplement with lighting.

Cuttle fish is has been used over the years as a source of calcium for cage birds. Today there are many other ways in which calcium can be supplied. Vitamin D3 is not a component of cuttlefish, it is manufactured by the bird with the sun being a catalyst to begin the process. If cuttlefish gets wet it usually will not pose any problem as it tends to dry out again fairly quickly with a bit of sun and wind around. In winter with constant wettness and higher humidity it can develop a covering of green algae. Getting wet constantly can leach any goodness out of the cuttlefish. I personally stopped using cuttlefish over twenty years ago. I use manufactured forms of calcium as they are provided in a ready to assimilate form. Vitamin D3 can now be purchased in liquid form. Also remember the soft foods we feed will also contain calcium and other minerals....so use the manufactured liquids only when required. If you can make sure you bird has access to direct sun for a few hours each day or for those who can't you need to supplement with lighting.
Thanks Rip, that's what I wanted to know, I hunt mine out into flight (full sun) while I clean breeders cages etc. to make sure they get sun as per Don Bourke's findings. So thought they would be getting enough. I didn't want to let outside cuttlefish harm them. A neighbour bought me 50 pieces back from his holiday, so Iv'e got a lot spread around for them.P.S. my quails just hatched 4 tiny chicks, do they need or eat cuttlefish for calcium does anyone know?
If they are getting sun then they have their own source fo vitamin D3
:) Just didn't want to overdo the Calcium.

• Member ID:  5,489
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  950
  • Birthday:  12/12/1958

For those who don't use cuttlefish what do you give your birds for their beeks.

Ross

Ross

They dont need anything other than branches or wooden perches to rub their beaks on Ross. I seriously doubt cuttlefish does anything useful for a birds beak :)

My birds havent got cuttlefish and they havent got beaks down to their feet :)

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

Ross

My birds havent got cuttlefish and they havent got beaks down to their feet :P

It is at times like these I wish I could just draw a quick piccy. I can't so image a row off budgies sitting on a perch comparing there beak length.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, as Kaz says they use the perches and branches. I also provide blocks which are quite hard. If you have access to old house bricks, preferably those from the turn of the century, chuck one of them in ya aviary. Grit will also provide a grinding substance as well as some mineral intake. I provide four types of grit for my birds all made into one mix.

• Member ID:  5,489
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  950
  • Birthday:  12/12/1958

Thanks for the response I will stop wasting money on cuttle fish then.

Ross

Ross

There's a lot of old info out there for us bird keepers....combine that with petshop blurb on the sides of packs....and we end up with things we dont really need or are using for reasons that dont make too much sense anymore. Like the petshops promoting sandpaper sheets for the bottom of cages and sandpaper perches. None of mine have it and none of my birds have claws growing out of control either. To be honest I have never had to cut a budgies claws, and when I hear some budgie owners talking about taking their bird to the vet for regular claw and beak trimming I wonder WHY :P

Edited by KAZ

Ross

There's a lot of old info out there for us bird keepers....combine that with petshop blurb on the sides of packs....and we end up with things we dont really need or are using for reasons that dont make too much sense anymore. Like the petshops promoting sandpaper sheets for the bottom of cages and sandpaper perches. None of mine have it and none of my birds have claws growing out of control either. To be honest I have never had to cut a budgies claws, and when I hear some budgie owners talking about taking their bird to the vet for regular claw and beak trimming I wonder WHY :P

Thank's All, but if your neighbour give you 50 pieces and the birds enjoy it, even if they just chew on it for fun, what the heck. Whatever gets the job done!!

Thank's All, but if your neighbour give you 50 pieces and the birds enjoy it, even if they just chew on it for fun, what the heck. Whatever gets the job done!!

Totally agree. Anything that makes a budgie happy keeps them well :P

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Yes agree with Kaz and RIP my birds just destroy cuttlefish in one go, just crumble it all up