• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  235
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  18/08/1984

Hey all,

I am unsettled about the number of hours of sleep my bird is getting and what to do that would best suit my me and her both. At the moment, her cage is in my study room which is where I am pretty much all the time when I am home. I come home at around 7pm which is dark by then, sometimes later around 11pm. I've been trying to remember to switch on the light in the room before I leave for work in the morning so that when it gets dark at night the light is on and she doesn't get as much of a shock from pitch dark to light when I come home later and need to turn the light on. This however means that she sleeps when I sleep which is around 11 or 12pm and wakes up when the birds start squeaking outside around 7 or 8am. Is this enough hours? Is it also extremely bad bad bad if I forget to leave the light on in the morning before I go to work and she gets a shock from dark to light suddenly when I come home at 7pm or 11pm?

Tonight, I tried covering her at 7.30pm and she's just sitting in the bottom half of the cage where it is lit from my desk lamp, at the perch closest to me. Should I persist? Also the issue with covering the cage is that I won't be up until 8.30 or 9am and it is already bright outside / birds chirping away, so will she get a shock from the sudden light?

Sorry if I sound like a looney, I really want to get this right! ;)

• Member ID:  5,298
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  518
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  2,950
  • Birthday:  10/03/1978

Hey all,

I am unsettled about the number of hours of sleep my bird is getting and what to do that would best suit my me and her both. At the moment, her cage is in my study room which is where I am pretty much all the time when I am home. I come home at around 7pm which is dark by then, sometimes later around 11pm. I've been trying to remember to switch on the light in the room before I leave for work in the morning so that when it gets dark at night the light is on and she doesn't get as much of a shock from pitch dark to light when I come home later and need to turn the light on. This however means that she sleeps when I sleep which is around 11 or 12pm and wakes up when the birds start squeaking outside around 7 or 8am. Is this enough hours? Is it also extremely bad bad bad if I forget to leave the light on in the morning before I go to work and she gets a shock from dark to light suddenly when I come home at 7pm or 11pm?

Tonight, I tried covering her at 7.30pm and she's just sitting in the bottom half of the cage where it is lit from my desk lamp, at the perch closest to me. Should I persist? Also the issue with covering the cage is that I won't be up until 8.30 or 9am and it is already bright outside / birds chirping away, so will she get a shock from the sudden light?

Sorry if I sound like a looney, I really want to get this right! ;)

it is quite similar for us on adjusting to hours of sleep... i would say to do it slowly. that way then she will sleep whenever you want her to. :P

• Member ID:  4,647
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  735
  • Birthday:  23/06/1993

if you completely cover the cage, so it is all dark, and quiet, they generally go of to sleep or whatever. i cover my inside budgie up at arouund 6-6.30pm and is uncoverd around 6-30- 7am. so he gets around 12-13 hrs rest.

Edited by birdluv

• Member ID:  4,748
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  235
  • Birthday:  18/08/1984

If I cover her up in the study room where I am, there will be a little noise from me working at the desk, and it's not pitch dark. Also in the mornings I don't get up until 8am and there's lots of light and bird activity outside already....maybe I should just not cover her up and try and leave the study room by 10pm :\