• Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Thanks guys. I'm pleased that you like reading the thread - it makes up for all the horrible issues that goes with Photobucket (I call it Spewbucket!!!).

:)

photobucket sucks i personally call it f@$Kbucket it does my head in

your baby's are so lovely

keep breeding toughs lacewings i will one day need more culls lol hopefully from the same lines

your pics are beautiful your time spent explaining everything in such detail is a blessing to us less knowledgeable breeders

thank you :)

Edited by KAZ
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

Put the sold sign on the Lacewing and split :P They should be very nice if the parents are anything to go by.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Thanks guys. I'm pleased that you like reading the thread - it makes up for all the horrible issues that goes with Photobucket (I call it Spewbucket!!!).
:rofl: photobucket sucks i personally call it f@$Kbucket it does my head in your baby's are so lovely keep breeding toughs lacewings i will one day need more culls lol hopefully from the same lines your pics are beautiful your time spent explaining everything in such detail is a blessing to us less knowledgeable breeders thank you :P
Heeheehee nice one GB. Yes your name for Photobucket I use too when it's all gone pear shaped for about the gazzilionth time whilst trying to simply upload pics!
Put the sold sign on the Lacewing and split :rofl: They should be very nice if the parents are anything to go by.
Hmmmm, not sure that I'll commit to selling these ones JUST yet :rofl: Maybe a couple of those weird feathered things :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Maybe parental saliva acting as hair gel :rofl: :rofl:
:P :rofl: :rofl:

As for photobucket I have no trouble at all, aint I smart :D You see I put all my pics in photoshop edit and resize then save then I go into photobucket go into download photos and select what ever I want, just before I select 55 pics in one go pushed download went and watched murder she wrote for 5 minutes come back in and wellar all done so easy. :) Sorry guys but it is easy :)

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,737

Maybe parental saliva acting as hair gel :rofl: :rofl:
:P :rofl: :rofl:

As for photobucket I have no trouble at all, aint I smart :D You see I put all my pics in photoshop edit and resize then save then I go into photobucket go into download photos and select what ever I want, just before I select 55 pics in one go pushed download went and watched murder she wrote for 5 minutes come back in and wellar all done so easy. :) Sorry guys but it is easy :)

yes you are

im unfortunantly not quiet all their lol

photo bucket resizes my pics for me but i have a really slow com and even when bulk uploader is used it takes like 1 hour for 30 pics

1 picture takes 5 minits thats not a lie

hate hate hate it

as for editing on com first i have piccasa 3 so thats easy as i could send a whole file resized and all in one click but dam photobucket still wont deal with it

personally i think its my com its like a dinosour grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i have to dedicate a whole day to uploading pics to photo bucket and then im basiclly over it *** i still cant post a picture for budgie of the month i been here a year lol its called the hommer sindrom

but i aventually manage :D

okay you got me but I fixed the problem and it's working again. my computer is a dinosaur too over 10 years old and a pain in the butt :P lol.

But there seems to be a new uploader on photobucket one that says uplaod images and videos and when you select it it goes into your files and you can select as many as you want and it downloads them as fast as.

Edited by KAZ

Put the sold sign on the Lacewing and split :rolleyes: They should be very nice if the parents are anything to go by.
Hmmmm, not sure that I'll commit to selling these ones JUST yet :D Maybe a couple of those weird feathered things :rofl:

Just kidding about the "sold sign", if they were mine I know they'd be "not negotiable" for some time yet!

The weird feathered things: umm........aaaaahhhhhh.......oh, I think I heard the phone ring, gotta go!

Maybe parental saliva acting as hair gel :D :rofl:
:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl:

As for photobucket I have no trouble at all, aint I smart :D You see I put all my pics in photoshop edit and resize then save then I go into photobucket go into download photos and select what ever I want, just before I select 55 pics in one go pushed download went and watched murder she wrote for 5 minutes come back in and wellar all done so easy. :P Sorry guys but it is easy :)

Yar I'm with GB on that one sorry. I resize and edit with ACDC and when I try to upload just one picture, at least 50% of the time my whole system freezes (big sigh) and I have to reboot. I thought I was just being a bit impatient so went off the do something else for 1/2 hour, came back, still the same. Don't even talk about the bulk uploading system........ grrrrr.

It just frustrates me to death.

We run on a very dodgy satelite service coz no ADSL, no wireless etc etc and to be honest it's pretty hit and miss or in Spewbuckets case, miss and miss.

I am now using wireless so cool even though it's not in our area they say it's the same as dial up speed but I am very happy with it , It seems to be as fast as the ADSl broadband i had before and half the price plus 3 times the download happy as.

Now THAT'S what I'm after. I thought the cobalt baby was going to turn out pretty well - definitely seems that way.

babies9-10-09020.jpg

I really like it when I see this sort of feathering - very lifted on top.

babies9-10-09010.jpg

babies9-10-09012.jpg

A cutie violet clearwing - you can just see the colour peeping out on the pins near the tail.

babies9-10-09008.jpg

The white lacewing from previous posts - coming along very nicely.

babies9-10-09007.jpg

Wow, really nice.

The Cobalt and the Lacewing have so much cap feather they almost look like they're wearing hairpieces :lol:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Great feather !! Just what I expect to see from you Open breeders :lol: You are going to have a good year, I can see it. :)

WOW they are going to be nice Nubbly

• Member ID:  5,473
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  170
  • Birthday:  23/04/1971

nice birds G&G if the colbalt needs a new home you know were i live ha ha

babies9-10-09007.jpg

you could almost brush this one :unsure: very nice chicks mate very nice glad you got some good ones

Babies update:

Well we now have 53 blue rings on and I'm happy with how things are going over all. A few ups and downs but the results are pretty good and the quality seems to be there.

Some updated pics for everyone who wants to see how they are progressing (and Fran the German Shepherd will be waiting for you :) anyway you've got some pretty tidy babies of your own there, you don't need mine.).

The cobalt boy is in the nappy cage as of Saturday and doing well along with his nest buddies - a cinnamon olive spangle, an olive clearwing and a lacewing.

babies19-10-09030.jpg

babies19-10-09035.jpg

babies19-10-09040.jpg

babies19-10-09044.jpg

babies19-10-09026.jpg

Some other babies are also looking pretty decent. The yellow faces are looking better feathered than I expected, although I should have thought that the cock (a blue/lacewing) might throw some of the feather my lacewing lines are now showing. There are also 2x skyblues, 1x cinn YF grey (a nice bird too) and 1x white lacewing from this nest. And I have also bred one YF white lacewing from a different nest which is looking like it might be a nice bird too.

babies19-10-09052.jpg

babies19-10-09055.jpg

A bit of a shock (well I suppose they shouldn't be a surprise either considering the breeding behind both the mother AND the father line) are the domi pied babies. Not only was it really cute seeing the pied markings coming out in the babies, they are gorgeous - especially one cinnamon pied (completely blowing my normal/normal line out of the water mind you) which is a stonker. Sorry Kaz you can't have them even though I'm not officially breeding pieds, I'm gonna keep these!!!

babies19-10-09080.jpg

babies19-10-09082.jpg

Another nice looking bird is a single chick from a Gary Armstrong DF hen x Dark Green Opaline Spangle cock (grandson of Ces Nationals grey winner). Although she could only manage to hatch out one chick (she addled the others and is quite an erratic hen), it might make up for it by being really very nice. It also has great spangle markings for an opaline, something Gary has been working on in his stud.

babies19-10-09073.jpg

babies19-10-09068.jpg

One last high potential baby (will show others later) is a normal grey bred from a beautiful grey bird of mine with a hen I bred from the son of Ces' nats grey winner. These are 2 birds I really like so I am pleased that they have hatched 2 chicks one of which, so far, is magnificent and the other is maybe not quite as big but is quite a bit younger. Here is the normal grey and the mother and father below (dad looking a little grotty from feeding babies).

babies19-10-09059.jpg

babies19-10-09057.jpg

babies19-10-09056.jpg

Well that's it for now. Will update more as more babies fledge.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Sorry Kaz you can't have them even though I'm not officially breeding pieds, I'm gonna keep these!!!

I feel sure you could let this one babies19-10-09082.jpg

slip under the radar and come live with me :)

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

wow tham babys are the size of my adults wow love the normal blue can i have it :)

If only I could get my hands on a copy of "Hypnosis For Dummies" I feel sure that Lacewing could be mine :)

They're all very nice.

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I read your thread Nubbly and I think I experience the whole range of emotions - excitement in seeing such great birds, happiness for you to know you are producing these great birds, disappointment that your birds are of a standard I may never reach, delusionment and a questioning of what I am doing, and probably far too many other emotions to type here.

No matter what my emotional range, keep those photos comings. They are great. Well done.

Edited by Dave_McMinn

No Dave

With time and effort and just a little bit of luck ANYONE can get birds of the standard that I have. I don't spend a vast amount on birds and have been lucky to get those one or two birds that start off a stud and then just tried to focus on the features that I think are important.

Over the previous years it was feather and mask length so my pairings were for that and I sold anything that was not of good enough quality to go on with.

Now it's size and I have had to really be careful not to select just for feather anymore and when I buy birds now I look at length and when I cull I will sell smaller but still good feathered birds.

You CAN get there and let me tell you, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I still feel that today when I see great birds on the bench and know that I still need to work at it. When I first started I didn't think it was possible but each year you look back and see little improvements........ just keep at it.

Edited by nubbly5

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

No Dave

With time and effort and just a little bit of luck ANYONE can get birds of the standard that I have. I don't spend a vast amount on birds and have been lucky to get those one or two birds that start off a stud and then just tried to focus on the features that I think are important.

Over the previous years it was feather and mask length so my pairings were for that and I sold anything that was not of good enough quality to go on with.

Now it's size and I have had to really be careful not to select just for feather anymore and when I buy birds now I look at length and when I cull I will sell smaller but still good feathered birds.

You CAN get there and let me tell you, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I still feel that today when I see great birds on the bench and know that I still need to work at it. When I first started I didn't think it was possible but each year you look back and see little improvements........ just keep at it.

I will, although it is nice to see that you understand what I mean.

No Dave

how long have you been breeding now nubbly ??

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

WOW...... :)

We bred 3 babies in 2000 (we bought 30 rings late in the year....... very optimistic). First full year of breeding was 2001. But I had done what just about everyone does when they first start out - buy anything and everything. And over the next year or so I started to realize that I had to cull hard and keep a line of birds that would give me the potential to go forward not backwards.

Mind you I purchased a grey spangle hen from a local petshop which, combined with one of Ces Gearings cock birds bred the foundation line for my stud (one I call superbudgie after a super hen that won me young hens champion from the novice class). The hen ended up being a Dodgey Bros bird which originally came from Len Vinci stock. Ces' original stock (or at least what I bought) came from Nigel Tonkin birds.

Since then I have had a bit of luck with an old Willie Shoeman green that bred my big blue boy and has combined really well with my original lines. Then some Henry George birds which I purchased due to the excellent blow that they have but I've found it a bit hard to get that into my lines without losing the width of head (HG's often seem a bit narrow from the front). I've also been lucky to have been given a son of Ces' national grey winner after helping with a cull and a couple of really handy syndicate birds (SWBC formed a syndicate a while back run by Ces, into which we all put $100 per year to buy good birds which are then bred from and the chicks are drawn out by raffle to each synicate share owner until each member has received a baby - this has been a really good way to get access to some pretty special lines like Garry Gazzard etc without spending thousands of dollars doing so). AND I think the few birds that I've just bought from Jan McMahon (latest additions) will really add something too judging by the dominant pieds that the dilute dom pied hen has bred.

My Lacewings originally come from Lynn Ray stock. She apparently had top class lacewings but had to quit them due to bird breeders lung disease. One lone cock combined with a couple of pet shop quality hens (which came out of a texas clearbody cock of Sharon House's) plus a couple of very tidy cocks from Ces' lines built up what I've got today - and I'm mighty proud of them.

The fallows are Ian Hanington and Len Vinci original stock but by God they are hard going. They don't seem to thrive or breed well - particularly the Len Vinci lines....... sigh.

Clearwings, which I only bought in '07, came from the partnership of Geoff O'Connor and Brian Turner. Not sure if they are still a partnership though as I saw Geoff's birds at Tassie doing reasonably well (and without the Turner in the name).

So a little history on the G&G stud........ sorry went rambling off there.

Edited by nubbly5