• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  735
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  23/06/1993

Its about the breeding season and the birds being ready for the nationals. Not to do with the actual year. We are amidst a change of ring issue dates.

Well that is weird. I thought buying an 09 rung bird meant buying a bird bred in 2009 not 08, although it probably could be bred in 2009 and be shown at the nationals, just a little weird. Oh well I guess that is how it goes and who am I to judge, as a junior member. Thats all good, thanks a heap for that Kaz, I understand now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,463
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  880
  • Birthday:  09/05/1966

Mine arrived today, but unlike Heathrow, I haven't got 10 chicks to put them on!

Cameronsch, don't ponder the inponderable! None of the arguements thrown up by those who wished to change the ring issue date held any water for me. Some said that our birds are maturing slower and needed the extra 4 months to develop and be competitive at the Nationals. Of my 4 National winners the oldest was 14 months (Dom Pied born early April). The others were UBC's at the Vic UBC shield - ie: born July making them 10-11 months at the Nationals. With the ring issue change, birds can now be as old as 20-21 months and still be eligable to be shown at the Nationals.

I will be double ringing my babies until xmas and will assess where I head from there. The change was not necessary in my opinion, but they are the new rules of the game and we will just adapt.

Cheers!

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

I personally think it is ridiculous ringing birds for 2010 when they hatch in 2009.

To me it is simple: they hatch 1 January 2009 - 31 December 2009 they are 2009 birds. They hatch 1 January 2010 - 31 December 2010 then they are 2010 birds. Brainless having it any other way.

This system of them being classed as 2010 birds is ridiculous. We don't say human children born from now until the end of December are 2010 babies.

That is my opinion and I will never agree that a bird hatched in 2009 is a 2010 bird.

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

i am geting 50 09 rings to day and i am going to have tham till 09

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Mine arrived today, but unlike Heathrow, I haven't got 10 chicks to put them on!

Cameronsch, don't ponder the inponderable! None of the arguements thrown up by those who wished to change the ring issue date held any water for me. Some said that our birds are maturing slower and needed the extra 4 months to develop and be competitive at the Nationals. Of my 4 National winners the oldest was 14 months (Dom Pied born early April). The others were UBC's at the Vic UBC shield - ie: born July making them 10-11 months at the Nationals. With the ring issue change, birds can now be as old as 20-21 months and still be eligable to be shown at the Nationals.

I will be double ringing my babies until xmas and will assess where I head from there. The change was not necessary in my opinion, but they are the new rules of the game and we will just adapt.

Cheers!

Mine arrived yesterday but I also have no chicks to put them on YET! Some hatching soon I hope.

I LOVE the new ring issue date. I start my breeding season in September and finish in March. The birds I bred in September - December were very often too young to make the Nationals the very next year - some being only 6 months old. Others bred in January - March got to mature a whole lot more and were often the birds I had selected. Not that it bothered me really as others were in the same boat. But for me the new ring issue date is WONDERFUL and I'm happy that now my whole batch of babies get a better chance to mature before the selections !!! :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

My 2010 rings arrived this morning!!!!!... already used 10 of them.
Are you out of 09 rings Heath or you puting on 010 rings as well. :DWith this new ring date,you will be able to breed them,before they go to the National &it wont matterif they don't breed,when they come back,as they could be 18 months old by the 011 National. :rofl:

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

Got mine yesterday too (thanks Daz) and re-rung 3 chicks. I don't mind the new date as it fits in with my breeding plans. I'm just uncertain what to do with these chicks just rung for shows next year. They're not 2009 young birds (red ring) and they're probably not developed enough to compete against adult (or old birds). So I could have birds almost 9 months old that are ineligible to be shown at the National.

I think the ring issue date will eventually evolve back to 1st July but will change to allow birds up to 2 years old to be shown as young birds (ie, if this were the case now, then 2009 and 2010 rung birds would be eligible for the Nats in Rocky). It's pretty stupid if I have to wait a year to show the birds I've just rung yesterday as young birds.

Edited by Daryl

Got mine yesterday too (thanks Daz) and re-rung 3 chicks. I don't mind the new date as it fits in with my breeding plans. I'm just uncertain what to do with these chicks just rung for shows next year. They're not 2009 young birds (red ring) and they're probably not developed enough to compete against adult (or old birds). So I could have birds almost 9 months old that are ineligible to be shown at the National.

I think the ring issue date will eventually evolve back to 1st July but will change to allow birds up to 2 years old to be shown as young birds (ie, if this were the case now, then 2009 and 2010 rung birds would be eligible for the Nats in Rocky). It's pretty stupid if I have to wait a year to show the birds I've just rung yesterday as young birds.

Daryl only birds with the 09 rings,can be shown in Rocky,if you have put on the 010 rings,they will be okay

for the 011 National,

Daryl only birds with the 09 rings,can be shown in Rocky,if you have put on the 010 rings,they will be okay

for the 011 National,

Yep, I get that Macka. I just don't get why we have changed the rules to exclude such a large group of previously eligible young birds from being classified as young birds next show season. In the past there have been birds as young as 5 months old at the Nats. Now the youngest young bird which can be shown at the Nats will be 9 months old (unless of course someone was to continue using the 09 rings for the rest of the year).

I'm led to belive one of the reasons for bringing put forward the ring issue was to allow breeders to breed from their champs before they attanded the Nats as some breeders believe the experience of birds attending the Nats causes them to breed poorly (if at all) the following season.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

I got mine 3 weeks ago... but rung my first chick yesterday. :P

The ring issue date is to do with the nationals... enough said. :)

Looks like SQLD got their rings okay this year... Hoorray. :rolleyes:

Edited by Daz

for the 011 National,

Yep, I get that Macka. I just don't get why we have changed the rules to exclude such a large group of previously eligible young birds from being classified as young birds next show season. In the past there have been birds as young as 5 months old at the Nats. Now the youngest young bird which can be shown at the Nats will be 9 months old (unless of course someone was to continue using the 09 rings for the rest of the year).

I'm led to belive one of the reasons for bringing put forward the ring issue was to allow breeders to breed from their champs before they attanded the Nats as some breeders believe the experience of birds attending the Nats causes them to breed poorly (if at all) the following season.

Darryl, from memory when the ring issue date topic first came up (I think we had a first vote on it which was defeated at the 2005 or 2006 ANBC meeting) there were quite a few different arguements for the change including the one you mentioned plus better maturity for those later bred birds. Initially there was quite a bit of counter arguement as well but I guess a couple years of extra lobbying can achieve changes in opinion. Welcome to the wonderful world of budgie politics!

................. I hear that a suggestion for a 1st July ring date maybe coming soon.... :)

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I get mine tonight.

................. I hear that a suggestion for a 1st July ring date maybe coming soon.... :)

After Gina's post above I spent some time reading the ANBC Minutes (yes, I have no life :rolleyes: ) and, given the number of times it took to finally get resolution on the Sept 1st issue date, a move to Jul 1st will be about as much fun for the ANBC as sand in your undies!

Edited by Daryl

I thought the Nationals was a show for the best young birds. At this rate, birds with grand-progeny will be eligable to be shown at the Nationals. I would be dead against July, just as I was against September - but if there is an advantage to be gained from the change I will try and gain it. That's why I will be double ringing until the end of the year.

Changing the ring issue date won't change who wins at the Nationals just beacause all of these previously "too young" birds will now be eligable. It will be the same names: George, Smith, Ault, Gazzard, Rowe, Sheppard & Flanagan, etc.

There are always hard luck stories about the Nationals, like "I had a better one at home, but it was too young (not having a go at you Gina), or in a moult, or dropped it's tail, or the judges didn't recognise it's quality, or the judges picked their mates bird, etc" and the owners of these birds will be saying the same things in two years time. Nothing will change.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I thought the Nationals was a show for the best young birds. At this rate, birds with grand-progeny will be eligable to be shown at the Nationals. I would be dead against July, just as I was against September - but if there is an advantage to be gained from the change I will try and gain it. That's why I will be double ringing until the end of the year.

Changing the ring issue date won't change who wins at the Nationals just beacause all of these previously "too young" birds will now be eligable. It will be the same names: George, Smith, Ault, Gazzard, Rowe, Sheppard & Flanagan, etc.

There are always hard luck stories about the Nationals, like "I had a better one at home, but it was too young (not having a go at you Gina), or in a moult, or dropped it's tail, or the judges didn't recognise it's quality, or the judges picked their mates bird, etc" and the owners of these birds will be saying the same things in two years time. Nothing will change.

A tad cynical perhaps but so true :)

And ironically it used to be a July 1st ring issue many years ago when the Nationals began. But the difference was that those birds would appear at the National the next year, not 2 years later (meaing a maximum age of 11 months). Not sure when it changed to Jan 1st but I think it was in the 80's sometime.

The ring date change,was a push from at least 3 states & when it did't get up the first time,they put it

up again for the next year.It was't Victoria,who voted for the change,it means we now have to

have our UBC show now, at the end of November & some clubs have had to change there show dates.

I think the states,that voted for September,I would doubt they will vote for July,they want the budgies older

for the National,thats why they changed to September.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

And ironically it used to be a July 1st ring issue many years ago when the Nationals began. But the difference was that those birds would appear at the National the next year, not 2 years later (meaing a maximum age of 11 months). Not sure when it changed to Jan 1st but I think it was in the 80's sometime.

Although I am in favour of the new ring date, not that it benefits me really, but because I like it that the birds are more mature and I especially like the idea that you can breed with them before they go to Nationals. :D

If a bird is rung today and is breed at 6 months. the off spring then breed at 6months, then showed the bird rung today at the next approprea nationals, it would be a grand parent.

Current I know of a breeder that had both father and son in the team for their region.

I thought the Nationals was a show for the best young birds. At this rate, birds with grand-progeny will be eligable to be shown at the Nationals. I would be dead against July, just as I was against September - but if there is an advantage to be gained from the change I will try and gain it. That's why I will be double ringing until the end of the year. Changing the ring issue date won't change who wins at the Nationals just beacause all of these previously "too young" birds will now be eligable. It will be the same names: George, Smith, Ault, Gazzard, Rowe, Sheppard & Flanagan, etc. There are always hard luck stories about the Nationals, like "I had a better one at home, but it was too young (not having a go at you Gina), or in a moult, or dropped it's tail, or the judges didn't recognise it's quality, or the judges picked their mates bird, etc" and the owners of these birds will be saying the same things in two years time. Nothing will change.
I agree in essence Peter. But I know I would have had 2 extra birds that might have been selected that got nowhere near even going to the selection show purely because they had not fully moulted out into their adult plummage, mind you something else could have happened to the older ones anyway. Sure it'll still be the same names (yourself included of course) with a few variations here and there just like any other livestock exhibition. AND no doubt the ring change won't suit everyone. I know WA voted no initially (although or rep voted yes!!!!) but after a bit of lobbying we then changed at the next vote to yes - so there were enough people here who initially thought the idea sucked. Personally I still LOVE it.Still, I don't think the change is big enough to affect people in such a way that they'll stop breeding exhibition budgies - not that I've heard anyway - and next year it'll be some other contraversy anyway ;)
................. I hear that a suggestion for a 1st July ring date maybe coming soon.... :D
After Gina's post above I spent some time reading the ANBC Minutes (yes, I have no life :P ) and, given the number of times it took to finally get resolution on the Sept 1st issue date, a move to Jul 1st will be about as much fun for the ANBC as sand in your undies!
:D;) Now THAT is SAD Darryl you truely have no life. Reading through all those ANBC minutes would have been as much fun as sand in your undies anyway!!!!!!!

I believe that the fact is, birds will breed when they want to and if the ring issue date falls in line with this, it is more logical.

I believe that the fact is, birds will breed when they want to and if the ring issue date falls in line with this, it is more logical.

While fertility is better at some times of the year than others (not surprisingly, I find April / May ordinary), budgies will breed whenever you give them adequate nutrition and a nest box. Put a pair up and feed them properly and they will just keep breeding (not that I do this). They don't stop and say, "Oh, hang on, the season has changed so I must stop breeding!"

Birds breed when we want them to - not when they want to.

................. I hear that a suggestion for a 1st July ring date maybe coming soon.... :happy-dancing:
After Gina's post above I spent some time reading the ANBC Minutes (yes, I have no life :D ) and, given the number of times it took to finally get resolution on the Sept 1st issue date, a move to Jul 1st will be about as much fun for the ANBC as sand in your undies!
:( :glare: Now THAT is SAD Darryl you truely have no life. Reading through all those ANBC minutes would have been as much fun as sand in your undies anyway!!!!!!!
Not quite THAT bad, I did have a bit of help from the Ctrl F function. I'd still be going now if I read all of that lot! okay, back to the sand pit.........
......Birds breed when we want them to - not when they want to.
Dunno about that, bit like "you can lead a horse to water....." Maybe your conditions are more conducive to successful breeding than what my birds experience. But I can give mine "The Hilton" and, even if compatible, if one isn't ready to breed there won't be any chicks.

Personally Sept 1st seems to suit my birds' breeding habits. The only issue I have is that the National has evolved from a Young Bird championship to an almost Old Bird championship over the years.

Edited by Daryl

......Birds breed when we want them to - not when they want to.
Dunno about that, bit like "you can lead a horse to water....." Maybe your conditions are more conducive to successful breeding than what my birds experience. But I can give mine "The Hilton" and, even if compatible, if one isn't ready to breed there won't be any chicks.

Personally Sept 1st seems to suit my birds' breeding habits. The only issue I have is that the National has evolved from a Young Bird championship to an almost Old Bird championship over the years.

I'm with Darryl on this one...... as a complete newbie I tried all the "right" ways of doing things as expoused by those "more knowledgable" than me. Lots of people here said to put birds down to breed after the first rains in April. Nothing, nothing, nothing, some fertile eggs, deads in shell - just horrible results every time, then as September came around and it started to warm up - good results. Didn't seem like a complicated situation. Breed when the birds are really firing not when the condition is a bit off, it's cold wet and horrible and the day length is shortening not lengthening. Sure I could have insultated the shed, put in heaters etc OR I could wait until September....

Sure they will breed to some extent all year but way better at some times than others.

And I know it's been a young bird championship but being a relative newbie in the hobby I've always really considered it to be a variety challenge just with rules on age..... Suppose why the ring issue date didn't really seem like a bit deal (and it was good for my birds breeding time).