• Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Well i am off to get one tomorrow and more ratsak

Guest K&M Breeding

We have similar ones to these here in the U.S. and been wondering if they work Granted I'd much rather it KILL the mouse (I'm deathly afraid of them) But wasn't sure if they were actually safe around the birds I have all sizes including Rosy Bourke's and I'm thinking about getting back into Parrotlets - But no birdies can accidentally get in there right?

this year has been mouse heaven in my house soon as the sign of fall came They came out of the wood work LITERALLY! first night with normal Snap Traps we killed 8 Last winter I only killed 8 all winter long , But this year I also bought ultra Sonic Things you plug in the wall and its supposed to irriate the mice(and bugs too) and make them leave I think it sort of worked it made them come out of hiding and get caught LOL

but its been so bad the snap traps hasn't been enough I've had to resort to poison which after one of my tiels died from mouse poison I swore I'd never use it again but this time we bought HUGE blocks

2 years ago I bought Poison pellets you open a bag and put it where the mice are - Well I put it in the crawl spaces of my basement, a mouse brought a pellet up (which was brown) dropped it in my tiels food dish(which had Natural(brown) and fruit blend pellets in it) I didn't notice it, Went to put the birds to bed after being in there for an hour Taking pics, visiting, video taping and playing with the birds and my tiel who was just being a super camera hog went to eat and within minutes started sneezing When I looked in on her she had blood pouring out of her mouth and nostrils it was 10 pm on a Saturday night I don't have an Avian vet in town any way and normal vets were closed. But because I was stupid and used small poison pellets I had to watch my best tiel hemorrhage and die in my hands :angry::wacko:

But we've been looking for other things to use but most of the ones i find like this are throw away traps you don't re use them - and at 5-8 dollars for 1 trap That's just not going to work

So i'll be back on the look out for this one or one similar but I'm pretty sure I saw this one on the site I buy my leg bands from

I'm up for anything as long as it means the mice leave my house and I can get rid of the poison I've had to sit around my house in places my birds and dogs can't get it We've even went as far as buying a glue pad (you can turn it into a trap or just cut strips - we cut strips the width of my baseboards and taped it on there in places the dog and birds can't get it because these mice are getting too smart for their own good They run on my baseboards now instead of the floor -_-

but the last straw that really ticked me off is they've chewed through my phone cord, my cable wire and started to chew through the power cord of my T.V. So because of them My phone and cable and internet has been messing up for 5 months! no one could figure it out until finally a tech came who had some brains and moved stuff and looked at the wires so now its time for me to play hard ball I've been trying to be nice and give them a chance to leave MY HOUSE on their own but nope they had to go play dirty So they will now live to regret that ---- :D

Edited by K&M Breeding

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

We have similar ones to these here in the U.S. and been wondering if they work Granted I'd much rather it KILL the mouse (I'm deathly afraid of them) But wasn't sure if they were actually safe around the birds I have all sizes including Rosy Bourke's and I'm thinking about getting back into Parrotlets - But no birdies can accidentally get in there right?

No birds get in these ones :)

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

This is a great idea.

There has been several mice caught and brought into the house by my 'alarms' in the past months.

So if they are around I would like to catch them if they go near my birds.

How do your drown them Dave? I know they can swim.

Do you just put them in a bin full of water and wait until they exhaust themselves?

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202

Yes Gb, just fill a bucket about 1/3 full just enough that they can't touch the bottom, maybe nearly half full but not too much because they can still get out if they are near the top.

The other day when I put those 2 in from the mouse trap hey must of been already weak from sitting inside a mouse trap all night or for a while anyway because they only took about 10 minutes to drown.

BUT this morning when I tipped the one in from the seed hopper at about 8.30 and then I went to Shepparton and by the time I got home and checked it out, I couldn't believe it because it was still alive swimming strong after 5 and 1/2 hours.

I read on the internet to put dishwashing liquid in to make it quicker , so I went and got some and it died about 10 minutes later. I really felt awful watching it struggle for life but then they are pest.

Guest K&M Breeding

No birds get in these ones :)

Thats good because I just bought some - not sure if they're exactly the same but they looked pretty close

I got one of these kind (looks similar to the ones in this post maybe smaller though)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rodent-bait-traps/victor-reg-multiple-catch-mouse-trap-5135834

then an electronic one

http://www.tractorsupply.com/rodent-bait-traps/victor-reg-electronic-mouse-trap-pro-5135818

and some more normal snap traps

• 5 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,543
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,380
  • Birthday:  21/08/1992

Might have to get one at Bunnings next time i'm there. We have a horrible mouse problem and apparently we thought we got rid of them with the rat sac, but sitting here in my room at four am, I can here them running around the roof and walls. -_-

I'm wondering if there is a faster way to kill them then drowning, as it sounds like a rather painfully slow way to do it.

I'm wondering if there is a faster way to kill them then drowning, as it sounds like a rather painfully slow way to do it.

use snap traps then or hit the @#$$!@'s with a brick once you catch them alive.

You do get to the point where you want them dead not caught alive when you get mad enough about the mice

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202

When you tip the mice in the bucket of water put some dish washing liquid in with the water, the mice die very quickly then, with out the dish washing liquid they can swim for hours.

• Member ID:  5,725
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  210
  • Birthday:  19/12/1965

I bought a new mousetrap yesterday.......it catches them alive for those that care to release them elsewhere. I dont, but I still like the idea of how the mousetrap works. It catches multiple mice all night long and keeps them inside until you empty it, dispose of them or whatever. Clearish lid so you can see if you have caught a mouse or not.

Works great............first night have mousies.

you place it along a wall....no bait needed.......there is a little ramp they walk up and when the balance shifts weightwise it tips them into the inner area where they can freely walk around, but not get back out. the trap is then ready to catch the next mouse that comes along.

Here it is ( most likely only available in AUSTRALIA ? Cost $24.95 at Bunnings. Others I have seen at bird supply stores cost twice that much.

049-11.jpg

050-11.jpg

053-7.jpg

057-8.jpg

056-5.jpg

Kenh told me I wasted my money and it wouldnt work......he was wrong :rip:

Hi Kaz

Whats the trick to these traps, I brought one a month ago and had no luck.

Thanks

Steve

I bought a new mousetrap yesterday.......it catches them alive for those that care to release them elsewhere. I dont, but I still like the idea of how the mousetrap works. It catches multiple mice all night long and keeps them inside until you empty it, dispose of them or whatever. Clearish lid so you can see if you have caught a mouse or not.

Works great............first night have mousies.

you place it along a wall....no bait needed.......there is a little ramp they walk up and when the balance shifts weightwise it tips them into the inner area where they can freely walk around, but not get back out. the trap is then ready to catch the next mouse that comes along.

Here it is ( most likely only available in AUSTRALIA ? Cost $24.95 at Bunnings. Others I have seen at bird supply stores cost twice that much.

049-11.jpg

050-11.jpg

053-7.jpg

057-8.jpg

056-5.jpg

Kenh told me I wasted my money and it wouldnt work......he was wrong :rip:

Hi Kaz

Whats the trick to these traps, I brought one a month ago and had no luck.

Thanks

Steve

The tunnel side has to be along a wall and mice have to be in the area :D

• Member ID:  5,204
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  90
  • Achievement Points:  605

My Dad had mice down the beach house, so after I purchased one of these after reading it on the forums, took it to his house, and after a lot of ribbing, and no way, 'you just wasted your money", I put it down in the kitchen along the cupboards near the fridge, where the mouse had been spotted.

My brother insisted on putting the old fashioned traps down (3 of them in and around the fridge), so I said, okay we will see who wins this one! (We are very competitive!)

First thing in the morning, I got up, checked... and I WON! I promptly went out to wake my brother and inform him he is a big LOSER! He could not believe it. There being no food, nothing to entice the mouse into the contraption, but it worked an absolute treat!

I lorded that over him for the rest of the day!

(I might add we are both in our mid 50's - sibling rivalry well and truly alive still in our family!!)

I am a convert, this trap is fantastic, and I didn't have to deal with a corpse!

Robyn

• Member ID:  3,278
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  130
  • Achievement Points:  1,130
  • Birthday:  02/10/1972

I too brought one of these traps from Bunnings.

I got to a stage where i got sick of seeing mice. I blocked up all holes into the aviary and went about eradicating the mice.

Firstly i put bait stations in all aviaries, they had a hole only small enough for a mouse and not a bird and i started to see dead mice on aviary floors each morning which were quickly disposed of.

I then put this trap into the bird room against a wall.

1st day - caught 4 - all disposed of

2nd day - 3

3rd day 3

7th day - 2

4 days ago - 2

Yesterday - 0

Today - 0

I'm hoping i have trapped all the mice that were inside the aviary.

This trap is great, and you do not have to do alot.

Highly recommend.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

I just thought I'd add something about this mousetrap.

I check this thing everyday, a quick glance through the lid and slide the lid off a bit to check under the ramps.

But I have been noticing a bad smell in my aviary for a few days.

Turns out, there was a mouse stuck underneath the ramps, right in the corner.

I had to get a torch to find it, it was only little.

It is not a pleasant job to clean out dead mice from this thing, especially if they had been there as long as this one.

So just a heads up to anyone with this trap. I know its mostly my fault for not checking thoroughly enough, but

check right in the corners.

Apart from this 'flaw' it is bloody brilliant for catching the little blighters.

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  675

recently got a similar one myself as I had some making a pest of themselves, the one I got was calle the big cheese large live mouse trap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LNBQZY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LS57UE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=12XMVSMP0CFRMB3CK1W5

works a charm, got about 17 in 3 days, I used a bit of seed and egg and biscuit as a tempter, has wiped out the problem in that area.. Have to do one more area and we should be okay.

One thing I have found with live traps is they seem to loose effectiveness after a while.. not sure if they wise up to it or if the trapped mice give off a scent, might have to give mine a wash in soapy water and bury in the ground for a few weeks to get rid of any smells

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  6,202
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  30
  • Achievement Points:  200

recently got a similar one myself as I had some making a pest of themselves, the one I got was calle the big cheese large live mouse trap

http://www.amazon.co...SMP0CFRMB3CK1W5

works a charm, got about 17 in 3 days, I used a bit of seed and egg and biscuit as a tempter, has wiped out the problem in that area.. Have to do one more area and we should be okay.

One thing I have found with live traps is they seem to loose effectiveness after a while.. not sure if they wise up to it or if the trapped mice give off a scent, might have to give mine a wash in soapy water and bury in the ground for a few weeks to get rid of any smells

I believe that vanilla essence rids the smell of humans from the traps... but not sure about the dead mice. This was from the local hardware who sells similar mousetraps.. but it also works as an attractant

I believe that vanilla essence rids the smell of humans from the traps... but not sure about the dead mice. This was from the local hardware who sells similar mousetraps.. but it also works as an attractant

Good tip Harry.......thanks :)

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  675

Thanka harry. Im not sure it is human scent that does it. Im not sure if it is a scent they release but they def loose their effectiveness over time. Even taking a trap out for 6 months i find that it doesnt work near as good.