• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  840
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/08/1976

Hi All,

Some of you may remember my topic from the first round, where I couldn't explain the white chick from YF2 (or GF) parents.....

Here are the parents...

IMG_4998a.jpgIMG_4997a.jpg

And the chick from the first round...

IMG_7511.jpg

IMG_7512a.jpg

Note the iris rings, there was some thought that it may have been a recessive pied, however, I'm now thinking just a poorly marked dominant pied...?

And the chicks from the second round... (I apologise for the flash, it was getting dark and I couldn't show the colour any other way! It is showing the colour correctly though)...

IMG_7507a.jpgIMG_7508a.jpg

All hens....

The white chick is shaping up to be a copy of her sister (still can't explain the white birds out of 2xYF2 or GF...), while the other 2 appear to be violet YF2 (or GF)! I hope that they stay as their father has with the yellow not affecting the blue (or violet) feathers!!

Hope you like my chicks. I'll update the pics as they develop.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

The father of that chick is not the actual dad.

Its a DF dominant pied hen and being that its not opaline, it cant be from that cock.

same with the second round. its quite normal for hens to mate with many cocks when colony breeding.

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Colony breeding aside you can easily expect white faced chicks from two yellow faced parents.

25% white face

50% SF yellow face type 2

25% DF yellow face type 2

So basically 1/4 chicks will be white faced theoretically. Thats if the parents are certain anyway ;) Colony breeding is a genetic free-for-all!

Edited by Dean_NZ

• Member ID:  3,791
  • Topic Count:  11

Its a DF dominant pied hen and being that its not opaline, it cant be from that cock.

same with the second round. its quite normal for hens to mate with many cocks when colony breeding.

They are in a separate breeding cage, I'm not actually colony breeding, and even if I was, I don't have another dominant pied..... :huh: , the only other cock I have is a cobalt normal. The mother is recessive pied presumably (no iris rings), if the chick is definitely DF dominant pied, the mother would have to be dominant pied as well...?

The chick did have the white opaline down......

Now everyone's confused..... ;)

Dean_NZ - Thanks for the explanation about the potential for white chicks from 2 YF2 parents, I never really got that bit about there being SF & DF YF2 and how that breeds on...

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

They are in a separate breeding cage, I'm not actually colony breeding, and even if I was, I don't have another dominant pied..... :blush: , the only other cock I have is a cobalt normal. The mother is recessive pied presumably (no iris rings), if the chick is definitely DF dominant pied, the mother would have to be dominant pied as well...?

Now everyone's confused..... :lol:

Dean_NZ - Thanks for the explanation about the potential for white chicks from 2 YF2 parents, I never really got that bit about there being SF & DF YF2 and how that breeds on...

their is to explinations for this out come

1 the hen is to young but i dont think so she to me looks to be rec pied but ...

and 2

she is a dominant pied hen from a domanaint pied / rec ped hen causing badley marked dom pie and holding the rec gene the iris rings dont always show

also kazzy pointed something out to me today when questioning my own chicks mutation out comes she has come to a conclushion as i two agree with her

that split opaline cocks get the white down

as do split cin chicks get the plum eyes for first few days

as we have norm cocks split for opaline who had white down in nest ..... :D just a thery at moment

also hen is a gf sky blue and father mauve which explains the beautiful colours

mum could be opaline as i had one for ages who never visually looked opaline but defenently was kaz only just explained to me that their is a way to tell

its if the barring on head is broken going lenghth ways across from eye to eye like this - - - - - - insted of full bar with out brakes

and mabe dad is df dom just heavly marked only another cluthch will tell the truth of the matter next time put mum with a normal split opaline split rec pie cock that way if you get a opaline cock and a few rec pieds you will have your awnser

hope this all made sence pm me if you need more explained

oh and if she has the broken barring she is defenently rec pie and dad yf2 mauve df dom this gives 100 percent dom chicks

the new chicks look to me to be mabe comming out like harliquine breed opaline gf norms so mum probbly is rec dad may be split rec love to see chicks frount and back when feathered up as this would help me solve your mistry

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  3,791
  • Topic Count:  11

They are in a separate breeding cage, I'm not actually colony breeding, and even if I was, I don't have another dominant pied..... B) , the only other cock I have is a cobalt normal. The mother is recessive pied presumably (no iris rings), if the chick is definitely DF dominant pied, the mother would have to be dominant pied as well...?

Now everyone's confused..... B)

1 the hen is to young but i dont think so she to me looks to be rec pied but ...

and 2

she is a dominant pied hen from a domanaint pied / rec ped hen causing badley marked dom pie and holding the rec gene the iris rings dont always show

also kazzy pointed something out to me today when questioning my own chicks mutation out comes she has come to a conclushion as i two agree with her

that split opaline cocks get the white down All my chicks are hens.....father is opaline, mother is not......

as we have norm cocks split for opaline who had white down in nest ..... B) just a thery at moment

also hen is a gf sky blue and father mauve which explains the beautiful colours father is cobalt, not mauve

mum could be opaline as i had one for ages who never visually looked opaline but defenently was kaz only just explained to me that their is a way to tell this is beside the point, as if the mother is opaline as well as the father then all the chicks must be opaline regardless of sex......

its if the barring on head is broken going lenghth ways across from eye to eye like this - - - - - - insted of full bar with out brakes

and mabe dad is df dom just heavly marked only another cluthch will tell the truth of the matter next time put mum with a normal split opaline split rec pie cock that way if you get a opaline cock and a few rec pieds you will have your awnser dad can't be df dominant pied as there are 2 normal chicks in the latest round.... (see above)

oh and if she has the broken barring she is defenently rec pie (gf sky recessive) and dad yf2 mauve df dom (yf2 (or gf) cobalt dom) this gives 100 percent dom chicks however there are normal chicks...

the new chicks look to me to be mabe comming out like harliquine (??) breed opaline gf norms so mum probbly is rec dad may be split rec haven't got any recessive chicks as yet, chick from first clutch has iris rings. love to see chicks frount and back when feathered up as this would help me solve your mistry

I assume there is sf & df golden face as well as sf & df yf (or yf2)...?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

They are gorgeous congrats, I love the cock parents and his coloring.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

nice chicks what ever the heritage

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

They are in a separate breeding cage, I'm not actually colony breeding, and even if I was, I don't have another dominant pied..... :huh: , the only other cock I have is a cobalt normal. The mother is recessive pied presumably (no iris rings), if the chick is definitely DF dominant pied, the mother would have to be dominant pied as well...?

Now everyone's confused..... :)

and 2

that split opaline cocks get the white down All my chicks are hens.....father is opaline, mother is not......

as we have norm cocks split for opaline who had white down in nest ..... :lol: just a thery at moment

also hen is a gf sky blue and father mauve which explains the beautiful colours father is cobalt, not mauve

mum could be opaline as i had one for ages who never visually looked opaline but defenently was kaz only just explained to me that their is a way to tell this is beside the point, as if the mother is opaline as well as the father then all the chicks must be opaline regardless of sex......

and mabe dad is df dom just heavly marked only another cluthch will tell the truth of the matter next time put mum with a normal split opaline split rec pie cock that way if you get a opaline cock and a few rec pieds you will have your awnser dad can't be df dominant pied as there are 2 normal chicks in the latest round.... (see above)

oh and if she has the broken barring she is defenently rec pie (gf sky recessive) and dad yf2 mauve df dom (yf2 (or gf) cobalt dom) this gives 100 percent dom chicks however there are normal chicks...

the new chicks look to me to be mabe comming out like harliquine (??) breed opaline gf norms so mum probbly is rec dad may be split rec haven't got any recessive chicks as yet, chick from first clutch has iris rings. love to see chicks frount and back when feathered up as this would help me solve your mistry

I assume there is sf & df golden face as well as sf & df yf (or yf2)...?

okay, this has got all a bit confusing....... but somethings are standing out a bit.

Opaline cock bird to non-oplaine will breed all opaline hens and all split opaline cocks (the white down on first round chick might be explained by split opaline as GB says) but other varieties also have white down - albino's, lacewings, etc so maybe the extensive white on the baby is to blame for the white down also. If you have normal hens (non opaline) something is not right but looking at the chicks 2 are oplaine and the white is impossible to tell at this stage - assume maybe actually a boy (which would be split oplaine) OR it is in fact opaline just you can see due to white being so extensive.

If cock bird is breeding normal babies (non pied) he can only SF dominant pied and one would then have to assume that the first round chick is also only sf dom pied.

Except for one thing that I'm not sure of - CAN YOU have a dominant pied recessive pied...... that is a recessive pied that "masks" dominant pied - 2 genes for rec pied one for dom pied OR are the 2 varieites mutually exclusive??????? Because the only way the first chick is df dom pied is if the cock AND the hen donated a dom pied gene.

As far as YF goes there are 3 versions of YF - gf, YF1 & yf2.

YF1 in sf is yellow faced, in df is white faced.

YF2 in sf is yellow faced, in df is yellow faced with less body suffusion

GF in sf is golden faced with heavy body suffusion, in df is golden faced with little body suffusion.

I think.....

Edited by nubbly5