• Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

okay so im going to start show birds

i belive i have the eye to produce a good quality bird and i know i have the abillity to be hard when it comes to what stays and what goes

problem is

i dont have the eye to see passed what i think is a lovley bird

so others honest opinions would be good

i want to keep nothing that is just okay

i have 4 birds i belive to be very exellent stock

but know that that doesnt always mean good chicks

i think i have complemented my choise in birds that i have up at pressent

but i was wondering if any these cocks should be really thought about in my breeding plan at moment im keeping them to up grade my larger pets as i feel they show quality is old as i have a tendancy to go for the key hole look and am trying to get past that slim line look

please help me

blue norm cock bird /opaline/rececive pie o6 bird ..club rung

DSC08333-1.jpg

DSC08331-1.jpg

DSC08339-1.jpg

DSC08341-1.jpg

grey opaline /fallow o6 bird .club rung cock bird

DSC08345.jpg

grey opaline/rec pie cock 07 bird no ring my own breed bird his mother pet type fater the blue norm above

DSC08395-1.jpg

DSC08397-1.jpg

DSC08394-1.jpg

DSC08394-1.jpg

grey wing grey o8 bird club rung brought december 08

DSC08405-1.jpg

this bird is small but proportianed well i think

grey spangle hen o8 club rung dec buy 08

DSC08406-1.jpg

DSC08411-1.jpg

well i will post more when i work out how to upload pics to photo bucket again :rofl:

would love feed back please

• Member ID:  4,299
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  490

As a recessive pied split bird, I would definitely think about keeping this cock bird. He has a great deep mask, is not bad above the beak. He doesn't have the blow that you would like to see, but you are hard pressed to find recessive pied splits that have got outstanding blow. He has great length.

DSC08333-1.jpg

DSC08339-1.jpg

From here you can see that he doesn't really have as much backskull as you would like to see in a bird you would introduce back into a recessive line, but as a start, I would suggest that he is quiet a handy bird to keep.

grey opaline /fallow o6 bird .club rung cock bird --- As a fallow split, he too is handy. However, he doesn't have the depth of mask or the spots we would like. Unless you are planning on specifically going into fallows I would sell this bird.

DSC08345.jpg

grey opaline/rec pie cock 07 bird -- Again a nice bird, is the mother a recessive pied? Doesn't have the spots that the father has, but has a nicer blow. The my only concern here is that the bird is quiet narrow through the top end. He lacks shoulder to me. If he is recessive though, and you are heading into recessives, I would keep him also, my only reservation is that as an opaline cock as a foundation bird, you are going to have a lot of opalesence coming through in your stud.

DSC08395-1.jpg

grey wing grey o8 bird club rung brought december 08 -- Smaller bird, but as a grey wing has some good qualities about him. He has an average mask, and lacks the blow you would like in a stud cock bird. He is quiet a fine feathered bird so you would want to put him to a solid buff hen (the type that normally doesn't breed that well :wub:)

DSC08405-1.jpg

this bird is small but proportianed well i think

grey spangle hen o8 club rung dec buy 08

DSC08406-1.jpg

She is a well marked spangle hen that has a bit of power about her. Nice length, but again a fine feathered bird with not as much blow as you would like. As a young bird I would keep her and see how she comes up, for her markings and length alone I would suggest she is a good stock hen when paired to the right cock bird.

I would suggest that if you are starting to aquire the foundations of a stud, select a direction you wish to head. You've got some lovely solid recessive splits, if you are heading into recessives then they are a good place to start. With your fallow splits and spangles I would think that picking one or two directions to start would be a more sensible option.

These are just my thoughts, you have some lovely birds, I'd be interested to see some of the recessives that you've been breeding.

Cheers

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106

norm grey /opaline 06 bird club rung

he with my lace wing hen now

DSC08433.jpg

DSC08435.jpg

okay i thought this was a grey wing but i got told he is a dilute so....anyone ?

he o8 club rung dec bird

DSC08427.jpg

okay

this hen i love

o8 bird sept chick

DSC08593.jpg

DSC08594.jpg

DSC08595.jpg

this hen i need to know fair dinkem is she got any show quality ??

DSC08758.jpg

DSC08757.jpg

DSC08811.jpg

DSC08826.jpg

DSC08825.jpg

DSC08821.jpg

i thought put her with the blue cock she is next to he is also her grand father

then her chick with a cock with length and blow ..opinion please

this hen also ...?

DSC08773.jpg

DSC08774.jpg

both these birds are septber birds

and both on the small size but upsize is no prob if they have worthy features i think mmmmm. i cant decide

well thats some put more latter thanks for taking a look

thank you very much

i havent actually aquired my show stock rec pieds as yet as im looking for the perfict one

how ever i have a few nice cock birds i was told would be a good start if i upgraded them by spliting with a large solied hen

in whicch i agree however its finding one with the right quality as when upgradeing you cant go just picking any larger bird the quality must be outstanding in my opinion :wub:

i really opreshiate your honesty thanks mate

i am going to be breeding

lacewings

opaline

spangle

fallow

albinos

and cinnamon

rececives

and doms

i know that sounds like a lot but i have a very good plan layed out for myself which will keep my birds with quality and at a minamal

cheers

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  4,299
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  490

I would keep the spangle sky blue hen and put her to a normal blue series cock bird with no opalesence and a big top end. She is a really handy bird. The other hens I would probably sell off because they are all quiet small. The spangle down bottom right photograph has not bad feather above the eye, but as a spangle, she is no good. Her markings are lacking and she is a bit too small to consider working with in my opinion.

Both of the cocks lack a bit of shoulder, if I were you I would invest in a cock bird with a lot of blow and some nice width across his face and chest. This will bring some size into the stud, and if you put him to that spangle sky hen of yours I would say you'd come out with some crackers!

Good luck :wub:

I would keep the spangle sky blue hen and put her to a normal blue series cock bird with no opalesence and a big top end. She is a really handy bird. The other hens I would probably sell off because they are all quiet small. The spangle down bottom right photograph has not bad feather above the eye, but as a spangle, she is no good. Her markings are lacking and she is a bit too small to consider working with in my opinion.

Both of the cocks lack a bit of shoulder, if I were you I would invest in a cock bird with a lot of blow and some nice width across his face and chest. This will bring some size into the stud, and if you put him to that spangle sky hen of yours I would say you'd come out with some crackers!

Good luck :wub:

the spangle is a cinnamon cobalt according to her breeding recolds

she is my best hen and i have her with my biggest cock with length blow and large spots i do expect fantastic out come

if all goes to plan

trying to get picks on to photo bucket but they changed it and im having troubble

id like to show my pairings

the spangle is a cinnamon cobalt according to her breeding recolds

she is my best hen and i have her with my biggest cock with length blow and large spots i do expect fantastic out come

if all goes to plan

trying to get picks on to photo bucket but they changed it and im having troubble

id like to show my pairings

woops no the spangle your talking about is actually a grey dilute and defenently not a keeper

soz i thought you were rephering to my splat bird the cinnamon cobalt opaline spangle

she is my best hen apart from my lacewing hen not pictured

yet...

still having trobble with down loads to photo bucket

the sky ifv cinn hen is not spangle she is opaline and yes needs a big bird with **** and blow you are right

these birds that are not show standed are to become my pet type birds as they are good size and lovley to breed with to larger non rung birds and are more reziliant than average pet type type people always want them

thank you guys for opinions and i hope i get more comments to chew over and direction into possable uses for these birds

cheers

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Hey GB

Just some advice. Having gone through the motions myself, can I suggest you trim down the varieties you are going to breed. The issue being that for almost all of these recessive or sex linked recessive varieties you need super normal variety budgies to cross back to to produce splits.

I breed lacewing, fallow and clearwings (and playing with a few blackeyed selfs) and have found that with a 200-300 birds stud I run very very short on good substantial normals to the point where I am having to dedicate a lot of time and effort to breeding or sourcing good outcrosses.

Personally I would concentrate on one or two of you favourites initially and then if your stud handles that branch out into a third. Just a suggestion though of course.

Hey GB

Just some advice. Having gone through the motions myself, can I suggest you trim down the varieties you are going to breed. The issue being that for almost all of these recessive or sex linked recessive varieties you need super normal variety budgies to cross back to to produce splits.

I breed lacewing, fallow and clearwings (and playing with a few blackeyed selfs) and have found that with a 200-300 birds stud I run very very short on good substantial normals to the point where I am having to dedicate a lot of time and effort to breeding or sourcing good outcrosses.

Personally I would concentrate on one or two of you favourites initially and then if your stud handles that branch out into a third. Just a suggestion though of course.

i hear you loud and cleqar

that is why im starting with my lacewings and spangles and albinos im going to do the cinnamons from lacewings and albinos from lacewings it all blends quiet well i know what your going to say dont mix albino with lacewing but i dont plan to as such but will breed hens with the split grey cock bird i just got and norm/lacewing cocks

i have studdyed what im going to do quiet long and still now am not rushing to put my birds in breeding cabinet

i see where your comming from but i may not hit the show bench for a few years or more yet as although some my stock is nice i want to achive a small line of my own with out many out crosses comming in i know how to do this with out breeding closely so will give it a go

its about the birds and the challange for me not so much the winning bird

not yet any ways

• 2 months later...

Good luck :D

well hamish i took your advice i sold my split fellow boy my opaline grey diluted hen is gone the little dom gone

i kept the two split rec cock birds father and son

and i have put a very large masked cock bird with normal ,cinnamon wings ,split blue and lacewing to my small but bulky opaline cin sky violet hen

so lets see if i get thoughs crackers :rofl:

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

I agree with nubbly, good normals are very hard to come by. Even in the large aviaries where i sometimes purchase show stock, they sell a lot of their cinnamons, opalines, and inos, but rarely do they sell a spangle or a normal. Quality normals are essential as outcrosses in almost any variety. And while at first I was going to breed opaline to opaline, i think for the most part I know would prefer to have more normals and im attempting to breed some this season with my best normal cock.

Next year I will be showing my normals and my opalines and leave it at that for starters :D I know I won't do very well, but im curious to see where my birds stand and what improvements I can then make the following year before I look at moving to canada and starting again.