• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  80
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Two budgies were given to me in February 2009. At that time they were 2 - 3 months old . It is now June of 2009. Assuming they were born in Nov. of 2008 I expect them to be roughly 7 months old. But their eyes are still pure black with no ring. Yet when I go to any budgie site it says that if the eyes are pure black, without an iris ring, they are up to 4 months old. I know they are older. Also, I want to try to breed them. It is unclear whether my recessive pied is male or female, but the other is definately a hen. I brought home a new one, a nice blue bird with a very blue cere and a white iris ring, just in case the recessive is also a hen. He has been in the cage with the other 2 for 24 hrs and hardly moves (only to climb to the top of the cage looking for a way out), hardly makes a noise, and has not eaten yet. My two are nice and slim and he is bulky and big. The man at the shop referred to him as a sexually active male that wasnt too old. He just sits and shakes/fluffs up his feathers periodically while they other two make their best efforts to avoid him while continuing to play and eat. Do you forsee any potential problems?

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Two budgies were given to me in February 2009. At that time they were 2 - 3 months old . It is now June of 2009. Assuming they were born in Nov. of 2008 I expect them to be roughly 7 months old. But their eyes are still pure black with no ring. Yet when I go to any budgie site it says that if the eyes are pure black, without an iris ring, they are up to 4 months old. Can you post a photo of them. This will help us age them for you.

I know they are older. Also, I want to try to breed them. Budgies must not be breed until at least 12 months of age.

I brought home a new one, a nice blue bird with a very blue cere and a white iris ring, just in case the recessive is also a hen. He has been in the cage with the other 2 for 24 hrs and hardly moves (only to climb to the top of the cage looking for a way out), hardly makes a noise, and has not eaten yet. Did you not quarantine this new bird??? Also, the behaviour he is displaying is quite normal for new birds.

My two are nice and slim and he is bulky and big. The man at the shop referred to him as a sexually active male that wasnt too old. He may be a show type budgie, as opposed to your other two which may be pet types.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

A recessive pied budgie will NOT get an iris ring.

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

Cosmo is a normal, and he is probably over 10 months old by now, and his iris ring is still dark grey not light grey. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining - I like the baby eyes :D

• Member ID:  5,313
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  80

Thank you for your reply. I do wish I spoke to you before buying my new bird. I only have one large cage but now that you mention it quarantining the new bird makes a ton of sense. I hope I do not have any regrets. My family members would like to have some budgies also, so I was very excited when the recessive started displaying mating behavior. When nothing happened, I figured it must be female because I cannot determine it's sex. I decided to get a definate male for the green hen. Below are some pictures. Today my green and white originals are singing and playing happily, The new blue one is quiet and off on his own, but seems to become very attentive when I come close to the cage and talk. Whe I put my hand in the cage my 2 young ones fly frantically away bu the blue sits quietly. He let me put my finger up to his chest but then nipped at it. I guess it's to early to try to finger tame him. I so desparately want to finger tame them but the two young ones go ballistic when I go near them. I know that the green one is a hen. From the picture can you determine the sex of the white one and place on approximate age on them? I appreciate all of your advise and help. Still learning! Thank you.

Greenbird2.jpgWhitebird2.jpgBlueBird2.jpg

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

A recessive pied budgie will NOT get an iris ring.

All birds have iris rings what Kaz means is that the iris ring never becomes visible to the human eye :D.

• Member ID:  3,449
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  987
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  5,965

nice birds there!