• Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So proud of my little Quaker Charlie.

She did a demo at a kinder today so we have been practicing things like her recall and playing dead and kissing noises and step up and step down and giving me her rubbish. I figured it would go one of two ways, she would freak out and it would be a disaster or she would freak out and it would be okay but she would not do any tricks.

We arrived and I told everyone about her and said they had to stay seated and quiet. I got her to step up and come out of the cage and she sat on my hand. The whole class said “Hello Charlie” and she said hello back! WOW I did not even know she could say Hello! She then flew off and around the room a few times and recalled back to me like a champ! I was so proud, she was not stressed or freaking out or anything.

Oliver the little boy I look after was allowed to come up and I told him to give her the play dead command, this means you say play dead and then I flip her in my hands and she lies on her back and shuts her eyes and is really still. She does this sometimes other times she gets cranky being on her back, well she did it so well and all the kids where laughing and Oliver got a scratch her stomach and she didn’t do anything! All the kids told her to wake up and a slight flick of my hand and she flew around the room again and this time Oliver recalled her and she did!

We then feed her some Sunflower seeds and she gave me her rubbish which is dropping her seed husk in my hand, this is only something I have started training her on in the past few days and she did it every time! She even did it for Oliver.

She had another fly and landed on a few kids heads and it was great. We then did step up and step down which she was like, but mum this is easy. We did kisses, which she did the noise so well and gave me a kiss and also gave Oliver one and then fly onto the shoulder of another little girl and started giving her kisses. Each time recalling when I asked! I tell you so so so so so so so proud!

She sat on my hand as each child approached her and said hello and then patted her and she did not freak out for fly off it was great.

We put her in her cage and set her up with food and water and the kids where talking to her and she kept saying “Hi Guys” again something I did not know she could say! I am just over the moon about how great she is with kids as the lady who is taking her on a one week trail has young kids.

I went home to get changed and got Elmo out and once he worked out that Charlie was not there he come down to my bed room with me and sat on my bed chatting away and then I gave him a quick shower and put him back in his cage. He is a totally different bird when Charlie is not around which just make me realize that placing Charlie in another home is the best thing.

Anyway just needed to brag about my little girl for a bit…. Now back to your regular programming!

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

AV, that is so awesome! It sounds like Charlie must have really enjoyed the attention and wanted to show off. (Doesn't it seem like whenever you want kids or pets to "perform" for someone, that's when they suddently forget everything they know?)

I bet Charlie did all her tricks and speaking because she wanted to and was having fun. Sounds like she could be a therapy/demo bird in the making! Wonder if her new owner would enjoy doing stuff like that with her?

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

Aww G! You've done really well with her. Does she still do her screaming or has she settled down?

The lady's home she is going to is going to be so happy getting a trained bird.

Have you started training Elmo is these tricks too?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

What an experience :bluebudgie: Would make you want to keep Charlie :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

She loves to interact with kids which I am glad about because she is going to a home that has young children. Times like this does make me want to keep her and then I went home and spent time with Elmo and know that for him the best thing to do is to place Charlie in another home. I am going to stay in contact with the lady and hopefully she will keep up the training.

We still have a small screaming issue but not as bad as it was

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

how neat, those kids I bet had an awesome time at the show :rofl:

• Member ID:  4,893
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  182
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,015
  • Birthday:  04/07/1972

What a great story. :(:)

• Member ID:  4,928
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  970

Aww that's great :). I love my Quakers. They're so full of personality, and very cheeky.