• Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

sorry to both of you for you loses

i was lucky my birds were not sick

vet says the stress of all the moving i have done

so no bird leaves my place for a few months after molt as vet says they need to get struckture back lol sounds like kids

im just glad it was that easy

they were all treated and ivomectomed so he said as they molting i may of got worryed as they molted doubble due to the new inviroments

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

I feel very sorry for your losses and have nothing further to add that may help your situation now that hasn't already been mentioned. However, reading this post reminded me of the need to be careful of where birds are purchased from so I wanted to add the following advice to prospective buyers of birds:

When buying birds, DO NOT buy them from large commercial situations (eg. large bird dealers, produce stores, pet shops). This is only my opinion but I believe the chance of bringing in a disease is magnified greatly, especially if the birds are in crowded conditions (enhancing stress) or hygiene is not adhered to. In short, you could be buying from a menagerie of illness. Plus, breeders use these establishments to move on problem birds. So, no matter how tempting, pretty or good a bird looks, use all your will power and resist the urge to buy. Is it really worth the risk to the rest of your flock?

(Note: I know there is no suggestion of this being related to the MB's situation, but it was just something that I thought might be of value in this discussion).

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

I feel very sorry for your losses and have nothing further to add that may help your situation now that hasn't already been mentioned. However, reading this post reminded me of the need to be careful of where birds are purchased from so I wanted to add the following advice to prospective buyers of birds:

When buying birds, DO NOT buy them from large commercial situations (eg. large bird dealers, produce stores, pet shops). This is only my opinion but I believe the chance of bringing in a disease is magnified greatly, especially if the birds are in crowded conditions (enhancing stress) or hygiene is not adhered to. In short, you could be buying from a menagerie of illness. Plus, breeders use these establishments to move on problem birds. So, no matter how tempting, pretty or good a bird looks, use all your will power and resist the urge to buy. Is it really worth the risk to the rest of your flock?

(Note: I know there is no suggestion of this being related to the MB's situation, but it was just something that I thought might be of value in this discussion).

Good advice Daryl

:offtopic:

A few things to look for when buying a bird at a breeder.

• Listen -
    Healthy happy birds are loud birds.
  • Smell -
    There should be a clean smell of birds. (like fresh fish should smell of the sea) There shouldn't be any foal smell.
  • Look -
    Are the birds crowded and huddled togeather. Are they Fluffed up.
    Any with Scaly Face. Dirty Vents
    What do the dropings on the bottom of a cage look like? They should be small and black and white.
    Look at the drink containers. Are they desparately in need of changing.
  • Ask -
    How often do they clean and how. Is it a quick broom or do they scrape and vacuum.
    What do they feed the birds? Is it only seed or do they feed vegetables and what type.
    What types of suppliments do they use, other than grit and cuttlefish bone, and how often.
    If they feed a lot of strange suppliments and medications, ask why. Healthy Birds don't need a lot.

.... and if you are not happy with the answers, walk away.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Good advice Darryl and Daz

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

Guys thanks for the advice on buying birds, I not 100% sure about MB but I do know that i do everything to ensure that I do not purchase sick or ill birds.

The issue that we both had is that we went to a breeder and outside of a few that had things like splayed leggs or being really old they looked healthy, they where flying around in a clean and well kept avairy. After getting them home we thought that maybe a few might be getting scaly mites but treated them as a standard and quarantined like normal. You don't expect someone to sell you sick birds who has been as involved in the club as this person is... heck he was suppose to be my mentor! Any other breeder I would have treated the bird the same but it was just more of a shock to think that this could be the source and since I had had it, MB has had it and I belive that BL13 has also had it and we all got birds from this breeder on the same day and he even told me there was no need for quarantine it just hurts a little bit more

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Guys thanks for the advice on buying birds, I not 100% sure about MB but I do know that i do everything to ensure that I do not purchase sick or ill birds.

The issue that we both had is that we went to a breeder and outside of a few that had things like splayed leggs or being really old they looked healthy, they where flying around in a clean and well kept avairy. After getting them home we thought that maybe a few might be getting scaly mites but treated them as a standard and quarantined like normal. You don't expect someone to sell you sick birds who has been as involved in the club as this person is... heck he was suppose to be my mentor! Any other breeder I would have treated the bird the same but it was just more of a shock to think that this could be the source and since I had had it, MB has had it and I believe that BL13 has also had it and we all got birds from this breeder on the same day and he even told me there was no need for quarantine it just hurts a little bit more

Sorry to hear this.. It does high light the fact that all birds should be quarantined. I was asked the other day if my birds should be quarantined. The answer is of cause yes. All birds carry some form of illness but at the time their immune system is fighting it. Pull them out of a cage that they have been used to and stick them in a new environment and they will stress out. This then can bring out the issues that they have been fighting.

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

All birds where quarntained even when the guy told us not to bother. I guess I don't like dishonest people and even more so it annoys me when I lose birds that I am VERY attached to because i tired to do everything right and someone does something like this

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Sorry to hear this.. It does high light the fact that all birds should be quarantined. I was asked the other day if my birds should be quarantined. The answer is of cause yes. All birds carry some form of illness but at the time their immune system is fighting it. Pull them out of a cage that they have been used to and stick them in a new environment and they will stress out. This then can bring out the issues that they have been fighting.

The commonly held belief these days is that all birds carry something, more often than not psittacosis to a degree and mega. It takes stress and moving and breeding to bring it out. Maybe the breeder you got them from was unaware too unless he had birds dropping like flies and was moving them all on to rid himself of a problem. OR the birds could have been living fine with their hidden or carried diseases and the stress of moving etc brought it on. :offtopic:

This is why you hear so many show breeders these days quarantining with doxy. We have experienced similar things and we take no chances and we treat for the hidden nasties.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

i feel so sorry for you ! i hope all clears up fingers cross!

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Hi all, it's been a while sorry I haven't updated. Been feeling pretty upset about the whole budgie thing and have also had my four year old in for tonsil surgery and he's been a mess ever since so my brain is fried.

We also isolated mega dn canker here too, the birds crashed REALLY quickly here, lost huge numbers in the space of a couple of days. Out of an original flock of 70+ I have 14 left :sad: , the ones that are left are still not out of the woods yet but slowly seem to be improving.

Interestingly as far as proportions go a larger proportion of the birds from the aforementioned breeder survived than from my pre existing stock, thereby further cementing my belief that it was the birds from this breeder that caused the issue.

As with AV I had no real concerns about the birds but still followed full quarantine of course.

At this stage I have decided to take a bit of a break from budgies other than to support my small remaining flock, both for the ongoing health of my flock and also for myself, I'm just feeling like I kind of need to grieve the loss of so many birds, many of which were very special to me. I lost two very friendly little guys who would talk to me wheneer I went out there and also lost others close to my heart including gorgeous Ozzie and AVs bird Lucy (sorry AV :( )

I'm sure I will build my flock again in the future when the time is right but right now it's just too sad.

I am really sorry to hear you lost so many MB....really sorry :sad:

• Member ID:  4,928
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  970

Oh that's so sad to hear, sorry :sad:. I lost some babies today, but that seems like nothing compared to the amount you've lost.

On a side note, your son's name isn't Declan is it? My daughter had tonsil surgery last week and shared a room with a boy with that name.

Nope MM, my little men are Alex and Max :sad:

Nope MM, my little men are Alex and Max :sad:

Phew, good. Cause the kid my daughter shared a room with was a little censored.gif.

Let me know if I can do anything to help :(.

Cause the kid my daughter shared a room with was a little :censored: .

:sad: trust me that helped :(

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

So sorry you've had such a disastrous experience. :sad:

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Oh mate... I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. Did my dearest Tweet Tweet pass on with the others? Sometimes a break can be good, especially when you are greving such a big loss. You know where I am if you need to chat... and big hugs to you and the boys and hope your little man feels better soon. Look after yourself and the 'bub' too xoxo

Thanks Maesie, it's a bit of a blur as to who is lost and who isn't as so many looked similiar but I could always tell the difference by comparing them, however sadly I'm pretty sure Tweet Tweet did pass away, I will know for sure once they are all looking well as other than the very different ones they don't really look themselves at the moment still a bit fluffed and skinny.

Once the birds have recovered more I plan to move them into a smaller aviary(still isolated from my other birds) and do a full disinfect of the large aviary and then leave it empty for a while to make sure there is no chance of disease being passed on. I suspect that for the time being I will then use my large flight for some of my other birds and not get any more budgies until after we move house at the end of the year.

Anyway, we are getting on with things, it's all you can do really. We did recieve some nice news today that we are having a girl so that has perked me up a little today :sad:

Anyway, we are getting on with things, it's all you can do really. We did recieve some nice news today that we are having a girl so that has perked me up a little today :(

Oh yay! Congratulations! :sad: My partner can't have children, I wish I could get that news :(.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I am really sorry that this has happened MB but when the time comes I will try and help you bounce back.

Wow a little girl that is so perfect. :sad:

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

YAY!! A girl!! Congratulations!! :rofl:

I am so sorry for all your loss :wub:

• Member ID:  2,384
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,172
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7,460
  • Birthday:  25/08/1981

Ohh MB I only just read this, I am so sorry how terrible this is. So far away but if there is anything I can do.

But on the other side I am so happy you got your girl, how long to go now?

21st of September, I'm almost exactly half way now Pie :)

Any chance of a BBC Baby BUMP photo ? :)

or ultrasound pik ?

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979