• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

MB I am so sorry you are experiencing the devastation of an outbreak of a killer disease. I'm not so sure about the wisdom of open water dishes, how about a drinker placed on the floor nearby?

Heat and carbs are vital so adding Calcivet to the water would be good, though you'll have to replenish it regularly.

For all the ones huddling around looking crook I would crop feed them a mixture of calcivet and protein powder every 6-8 hours.

-_-

I thought Calcium inhibits the antibiotic intake. :)

Edited by **Liv**
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I would crop needle medication to make sure they get a dose

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Unfortunately we have Splat -_- The two grey green youngsters from the same nest and most of the others aren't looking good. I am crop needling most of them now other than a few that are still looking pretty goos and are drinking on their own.

Oh my Gosh MB that is awful, I hope they pull through for you. Let me know how they go. That is really so sad. I will be thinking of you and all your sick birds. -_-

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

MB I am so sorry you are experiencing the devastation of an outbreak of a killer disease. I'm not so sure about the wisdom of open water dishes, how about a drinker placed on the floor nearby?

Heat and carbs are vital so adding Calcivet to the water would be good, though you'll have to replenish it regularly.

For all the ones huddling around looking crook I would crop feed them a mixture of calcivet and protein powder every 6-8 hours.

-_-

I don't know about that. But I do know the sugar content in Calcivet is a good energy boost that helps the birds. :rip:

I use Poly-aid plus from Vetafarm when my birds are sick it gives them the energy to fight.

poly_aidplus80gnew__93706.jpg

Product Description

FIRST AID IN A BOTTLE

NUTRIENT SUPPLEMENT FOR SICK AND INJURED BIRDS, DOGS, CATS AND OTHER SMALL ANIMALS

Poly-aid plus is a sustained release carbohydrate and protein supplement with multivitamins and electrolytes and nine strain Probotic® for sick or stressed birds and small animals. It is recommended in all birds and animals with a calorie and/or protein deficit.

Directions: All avian species: Give 10g per 100g bodyweight per day in two divided doses, by crop needle or spoon. When mixing Poly-aid plus, add very small quantities of water to the desired amount of powder and mix well – continue to add drops of water until the mix is a custard consistency. Add to the feeding syringe and administer with a crop needle or direct to the mouth.

Other species: Mix as above and give to effect.

Poly Aid Plus saves lives! It is the original “First Aid in a Bottle” for birds. All sick birds should be given a dose of Poly-aid plus as they go into the hospital cage. Poly-aid plus provides a high energy, high protein supplement that is readily absorbed and utilised. This allows the birds to fight the disease or trauma that put them in the hospital cage initially. Poly-aid plus does not cure disease - it simply gives the birds some energy to fight for themselves.

Active Constituents: Retinol Acetate (Vitamin A), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), dl-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate, Menadione di-Methyl Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, Choline Bitartrate, Biotin, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium Gluconate, Albumen, Starch - Maize (hydrolysed), and Probotic®

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I use Poly-aid plus from Vetafarm when my birds are sick it gives them the energy to fight.

poly_aidplus80gnew__93706.jpg

Product Description

FIRST AID IN A BOTTLE

NUTRIENT SUPPLEMENT FOR SICK AND INJURED BIRDS, DOGS, CATS AND OTHER SMALL ANIMALS

Poly-aid plus is a sustained release carbohydrate and protein supplement with multivitamins and electrolytes and nine strain Probotic® for sick or stressed birds and small animals. It is recommended in all birds and animals with a calorie and/or protein deficit.

Directions: All avian species: Give 10g per 100g bodyweight per day in two divided doses, by crop needle or spoon. When mixing Poly-aid plus, add very small quantities of water to the desired amount of powder and mix well – continue to add drops of water until the mix is a custard consistency. Add to the feeding syringe and administer with a crop needle or direct to the mouth.

Other species: Mix as above and give to effect.

Poly Aid Plus saves lives! It is the original “First Aid in a Bottle” for birds. All sick birds should be given a dose of Poly-aid plus as they go into the hospital cage. Poly-aid plus provides a high energy, high protein supplement that is readily absorbed and utilised. This allows the birds to fight the disease or trauma that put them in the hospital cage initially. Poly-aid plus does not cure disease - it simply gives the birds some energy to fight for themselves.

Active Constituents: Retinol Acetate (Vitamin A), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), dl-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate, Menadione di-Methyl Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Nicotinic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, Folic Acid, Choline Bitartrate, Biotin, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulphate, Calcium Gluconate, Albumen, Starch - Maize (hydrolysed), and Probotic®

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is good stuff :( I use it too.

• Member ID:  4,111
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  256
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,760
  • Birthday:  21/04/1967

I'm sorry to hear of your losses. I have no experience with anything like your going through but I hope things improve soon. Good Luck.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Have any of you,that are haveing problems,with sick birds, stopped & thought,why do i have these birds, that get

sick all the time.Is there any reacuring reason this happens & why do I keep doing the same things every time.

In the last week or so,there have been at least 5ppl have come on my birds are sick, I did this I did that.

I had them in quarantine,I gave them every known medicine, that you can give a bird,but now they are sick.

I have been breeding birds & poultry for a long time &been around a lot of breeders, I might get the odd one

that gets a bit fluffed up,its put in a pen & given a Vit C in the water,for a day or 2 & if showing no improvement.

Its sent to GOD,Touch Wood,I have never had more then 2 birds sick at the same time.In the last 10 years

I would of treated no more then 8 bird,for being a bit fluffed up.If I buy a bird,it would not go into the flight,till

I had breed with it & if it did't breed,,,,,,,out.I only buy in young birds & only from breeders I know. :)

Macka I can only speak for AV and myself but it is extremely rare that either of our birds get ill. In this case we both got some birds from a breeder that we know and trusted, we quarantined, etc and all of a sudden we have both had problems at the same time. Personally I would be surprised if our two illnesses were unrelated, needless to say I'm not very impressed with this 'trusted breeder' right now :)

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Have any of you,that are haveing problems,with sick birds, stopped & thought,why do i have these birds, that get

sick all the time.Is there any reacuring reason this happens & why do I keep doing the same things every time.

In the last week or so,there have been at least 5ppl have come on my birds are sick, I did this I did that.

I had them in quarantine,I gave them every known medicine, that you can give a bird,but now they are sick.

I have been breeding birds & poultry for a long time &been around a lot of breeders, I might get the odd one

that gets a bit fluffed up,its put in a pen & given a Vit C in the water,for a day or 2 & if showing no improvement.

Its sent to GOD,Touch Wood,I have never had more then 2 birds sick at the same time.In the last 10 years

I would of treated no more then 8 bird,for being a bit fluffed up.If I buy a bird,it would not go into the flight,till

I had breed with it & if it did't breed,,,,,,,out.I only buy in young birds & only from breeders I know. :)

I can understand that. however, Speaking for myself, and possibly others here. Many of us are new to the breeding and "sending birds to god" is something that is easier said than done. Our flocks are small, our hearts are young and we see the individuality in each bird. Hence we get saddened when they get sick and want to make them better. I know many seasoned breeders like yourself Macka, who are far more casual about life and death. These things come with time, experience that lots of us are yet to have.

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I can understand that. however, Speaking for myself, and possibly others here. Many of us are new to the breeding and "sending birds to god" is something that is easier said than done. Our flocks are small, our hearts are young and we see the individuality in each bird. Hence we get saddened when they get sick and want to make them better. I know many seasoned breeders like yourself Macka, who are far more casual about life and death. These things come with time, experience that lots of us are yet to have.

I think Liv that Macka's point is that he rarely has deaths at all and has built up a good immunity in his birds. Not that he is casual towards death in his birds, rather he rarely has to deal with it. Also implicit in his comments that perhaps quarantine could have been more thorough.

Edited by renee

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

I have the utmost sympathy for you.. you know that, but can I ask you to stop and think for a moment. Is there anything that you have done to break the quarrentine rules? There has to be some thing that you have missed that has cause this desease to enter your aviary... don't worry I went through this last year, it's not good but i learnt from it and came out stronger.

There is one advice I live with. Gerald Binks gave it to us... "When things go wrong, it's our fault"

Vet advice when treating with doxy is to remove all sources of calcium and any extra water sources ( vegies ) ..........

so this is true.

I don't believe I have broken any quarantine rules, I'm fairly strict. I have had psitticosis here once before ages ago but I picked it up during quarantine and isolated it and it never made it to any ofmy aviaries, I learnt then just how important quarantine is. The only 'outside' birds that may have accessed near the aviary are pigeons that sometimes get themselves into the garage through the back door if I leave it open on a nice day.

The only 'outside' birds that may have accessed near the aviary are pigeons that sometimes get themselves into the garage through the back door if I leave it open on a nice day.

Pigeons...the "rats" of the bird world :(

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

The only 'outside' birds that may have accessed near the aviary are pigeons that sometimes get themselves into the garage through the back door if I leave it open on a nice day.

Pigeons...the "rats" of the bird world :(

I hate pigeons. When i had an open roof aviary they always sat on the roof and gave the birds countless diseases.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Its sent to GOD,

Geez Macka... I'd hate to be one of your children... especially if a vitamin C tablet didn't get rid of my cold!!! :rip:

:( :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I really feel for all of those who have had losses such as these... for those with smaller flocks and growing attachments to our birds, it must be so hard. I hope all is sorted out soon... and MB, becareful with your health and bub!!! :( Maybe put a screen door on your garage for those nice days. You can often get cheap ones from old recycling places!

Edited by maesie

Unfortunately Maesie it's not as simply as a screen door. I don't have a walk in door on my cgarage, the door at the back is a single car size garage door. I rent otherwise I'd have some sort of permanent frame erected with wire in it.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Unfortunately Maesie it's not as simply as a screen door. I don't have a walk in door on my cgarage, the door at the back is a single car size garage door. I rent otherwise I'd have some sort of permanent frame erected with wire in it.

Awww, damn hey!!! I hope you don't loose any more mate!!! (((((hugs)))))

• Member ID:  4,928
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  970

I hate pigeons. When i had an open roof aviary they always sat on the roof and gave the birds countless diseases.

Hmmm.....there's something that never occurred to me when we opened the roof of my biggest aviary last week :( .

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

if bird droppings fall into your aviary it is not good. Wild birds are full of disease especially pigeons.

I hope you and your birds can get through this Melbournebudgies.

Edited by Pearce

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

hugs to you MB, hoping you can get it all sorted out

Shadecloth wide enough to cover.......attached to a piece of timber that can hang at the top with hooks .....same timber at the bottom.....creating a kind of shadecloth blind...either hook it up to use and roll it up and out of the way when not needed, or rig it up like a blind that rolls up.

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

Hey, know how you feel. I think we have stopped it here but still have a few we are worried about. Vet had a talk to me about carriers that no matter how good our quarantine would have been then this still would have happened.