• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  965
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/08/1970

hi all! just bought my new baby yesterday, not sure if male or female. i'll try to post a couple of pics in a minute! so far he/she is doing all the "normal" new budgie things- sitting still, not eating, looking terrified! (poor lil guy :( !!) I've read lots of info here & have put a towel over the cage now, & scattered some seed on the bottom. the one thing that worries me (& the lady who sold him/her 2 me) is that he/she had only come out of the nest the day before (so, Wednesday) & she wasn't sure if it was eating on its own yet. so when should i start to get worried about it not eating? (so far its been less than 24 hours). apart from the seed, i've also got some millet & some seed grass in there.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Newly fledged babies should not be sold. They shouldnt be sold until they are eating on their own and flying......the breeder has been very slack in selling this young.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Oh, your baby would still be reliant on the parents for food. It should be atleast 6 weeks old and fully weaned before sale.

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  5,182

okay, it CAN fly, & when i last checked on it, it was sitting @ (at) the seed container- a good sign, right?

Edited by maesie
Please don't use shortcuts. Thank you.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

okay, it CAN fly, & when i last checked on it, it was sitting @ the seed container- a good sign, right?

A good sign only if it is actually eating, and you can feel seed in its crop at the end of the day, and if it hasnt a poopy bottom.

thanks Kaz, i'll keep a closer eye on it, & feel its crop later. it's great 2 know u (your) guys here are so caring! At least the lil budgie seems to be settling in a bit- it's started preening its feathers & chirping. :yellowhead:

Moderator Message: Please do not use shortcuts that are not approved in the guideliness, thank you.

Edited by Elly

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

I hope he starts eating for you. Post a picture so we can tell you if hes a male or a female. Good luck.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Congrats on your new baby, you can blow gently on the seeds too and if empty husks blow off then that is a sign that he is eating, please read over our food and nutrition section this is also an ideal time to introduce veggies, fruits and a variety of foods once he is eating his seed well.

Thank you all again for being so caring! My lil peanut is definitely eating, i've seen it picking up the seeds and can hear them being crunched up, yay! It doesn't seem to eat many at a time, but seems to have plenty of energy & likes to hang from the cage roof & flap, & is doing all the "escape artist" stuff trying to find a way out! It has already noticed where the main cage door is & spends quite a bit of time trying to get out there! It's chirping lots more, has found the mirrors & is making friends with them, & also likes the little hiding place i have for it (s stubby holder ) where it seems to like having little naps.

As for posting a picture- i've been trying with no success! I have the pics in photobucket, that bit was easy, but i can't seem to get them on here! are the instructions different for Mac computers at all?

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Thank you all again for being so caring! My lil peanut is definitely eating, i've seen it picking up the seeds and can hear them being crunched up, yay! It doesn't seem to eat many at a time, but seems to have plenty of energy & likes to hang from the cage roof & flap, & is doing all the "escape artist" stuff trying to find a way out! It has already noticed where the main cage door is & spends quite a bit of time trying to get out there! It's chirping lots more, has found the mirrors & is making friends with them, & also likes the little hiding place i have for it (s stubby holder ) where it seems to like having little naps.

As for posting a picture- i've been trying with no success! I have the pics in photobucket, that bit was easy, but i can't seem to get them on here! are the instructions different for Mac computers at all?

Click on the img code, copy it and then come into here in this post or another, start a reply and then paste it in... Give me or another mod a PM and we can do it for you if you need

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

Wow - I'm surprised she would have given you a baby and said "not sure if it can feed itself yet". I would want to be very sure, and then wait some more- even if it has JUST learned to eat, who knows if such a big change as moving into a new home could set it back a little and sort of "forget" how to eat if it's only just starting to get skilled at it.

Glad to hear that it has been eating though, and it sounds like you're doing all the right things so far. Can't wait to see a picture! I love fledglings :(