• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

It is great having Cosmo as an only budgie, but I am not sure whether this situation will work forever.

Currently, I am studying and working part time, so there are a few days every week when I can have Cosmo out with me, although other days when he hardly gets to see us. So far I think this is okay - he seems to play with his toys in his cage quite a lot, so it's not too bad, but we've been busy with planning to move lately, and he does seem to be a bit attention seeking lately.. like, he'll be really noisy and talk so much whenever we're around, cling to the side of the cage asking to be got out, etc. So I do feel that he might be getting a little lonely.

I will continue with my few days out few days in routine once we've moved house, and hopefully for quite some time will be able to still spend a lot of time with him.

I will be looking for full time work later in the year though. I still want Cosmo as a pet, but realistically I obviously won't spend as much time with him as I do now, and I think he could really do with a friend. If we do get another budgie though, I want it to be as tame as possible too, so I would quarantine and tame at the same time, probably longer than 30 days, as long as it took for me to be confident in slowly introducing them and keeping their tameness to whatever extent I can.

So I am thinking in a few months we might look for another very young budgie to tame and be Cosmo's buddy. What are your thoughts on this idea?

I would still like two birds to be bonded to me, but I am okay with them being more bonded to each other than to us, as long as they are still interested in us, play with us, let us get them out, and hopefully still talk.

Any thoughts or tips? I will read all the other threads about this same topic again at some point, just don't have time now.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I plan to do similar by keeping them in separate rooms. This will happen while you quarantine so really it will be up to you how much they bond. I certainly like the idea that cosmo has a friend while you are away for periods of time, one cage next to the other perhaps? I'm sure all will be fine, 2 well adjusted birds that both love you.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

When you get a 2nd budgie your first budgie if he has a good bond with you will continue that bond but not as strong. When I had Pretty he was certainly more friendlier to me and was actually the more say dominant one in the relationship. Merlin always followed Pretty's lead but Merlin did not bond to me even with the 30 day quarantine after that was over he was Pretty's birdy not mine lol. After Pretty passed we have now formed a bond.

What I would expect here is that Krosp will stay bonded with you to a certain degree not like it is now because he has someone else to share his love plus it is someone of his own species, the 2nd bird will most likely stay bonded to Krosp and will follow his lead.

Is getting a 2nd budgie a good idea I say absolutely as long as you are okay with what could potential will happen.

Krosp is bonded enough with you that you wouldn't loose it all that is what I found out with Pretty and Merlin.

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

:D Thanks Elly- that was a confusing read at first because krosp is me and Cosmo is my budgie LOL!

But thanks for your experience and advice--- my plan would be to get a young handled budgie from a breeder if I can find one, so that it will be easy to tame quite well. Cosmo is already not as tame as they come because we didn't get him that young and he's still afraid of hands to a certain extent-- but that's okay.. I mostly just like having him around me, out of the cage, interacting and chattering and only occasional handling is fine. I think that it sounds like two budgies will stay at that level of tameness... not so much the regurgitating and preening and smooching, which is okay!

Oh also--- another question-- do you think it would be better to try and get another male? Or wouldn't it matter?

Edited by krosp

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

^_^ sorry about that...

I would say stay with the same sex, 2 males get along great :D, mine did.

• 2 years later...

• Member ID:  5,924
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  440

I know this topic is from a while ago, but I just wanted to ask how things worked out with the second budgie?

We've been thinking of getting Bogie a friend. Even though we work from home and he has a lot of time outside the cage and with us, sometimes I think he would benefit from having a birdie companion. But I have a lot of the same questions of how getting a second budgie affects the good bonding you have with the first. And I'm also curious about advantages of getting another male or a female. (I wouldn't mind Bogie having a little mate, but we don't really have any plans for breeding, so is it just more trouble than it's worth to have a boy and girl?) Also, is it possible that the two just won't get along? I'd like to hear opinions and real stories from those that have made the change from a single bird to two. Thanks!

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I know this topic is from a while ago, but I just wanted to ask how things worked out with the second budgie?

We've been thinking of getting Bogie a friend. Even though we work from home and he has a lot of time outside the cage and with us, sometimes I think he would benefit from having a birdie companion. But I have a lot of the same questions of how getting a second budgie affects the good bonding you have with the first. And I'm also curious about advantages of getting another male or a female. (I wouldn't mind Bogie having a little mate, but we don't really have any plans for breeding, so is it just more trouble than it's worth to have a boy and girl?) Also, is it possible that the two just won't get along? I'd like to hear opinions and real stories from those that have made the change from a single bird to two. Thanks!

Hi Wendymoon,

Maybe you would get a better response if you start a new thread for your questions.

(I personally don't have any experience with this for you, sorry.)