• Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I need some advice from you bid showies as to what to do to continue preparing birds for show for example I have been spraying for birds up until Thursday last week for the show I just went to on Sunday now I need to know how much more spraying do I need to do to keep them in condition, the next show is Saturday week.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

I would give them a rest for the week,its hard to say you will have to, look at them a couple a days before the show & if they look as good as they were,when you took them to the show last week,you will have to do very little.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I need some advice from you bid showies as to what to do to continue preparing birds for show for example I have been spraying for birds up until Thursday last week for the show I just went to on Sunday now I need to know how much more spraying do I need to do to keep them in condition, the next show is Saturday week.

I dunno Splat .... showing takes a lot out of them. I personally won't show the same bird more than once a month and I rarely show hens 'cause I want to 'save' them for breeding. In fact I try not to show a bird in 2 consecutive shows.

I had a wonderful Normal Green who I showed a lot as a beginner Novice and he became a bit of a poser and refused to interact with the other birds. In fact he was a complete dud when I put him in the breeding cabinet. To this day I wonder whether I 'ruined' him by over-showing.

• Member ID:  3,340

Renee these are the only 2 shows in my area that I do, surely 2 shows 2 weeks apart won't ruin them.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

What happens when showing that takes such a toll on the birds?

The birds are looking great now they have bounced back great, if they don't look heavy enough or anything like that then I would not take them to a show. I will just have to wait until Friday week I think the 27th March and see how they took but I have 2 that have dropped their tail feathers since the weekend so maybe none of them will be going anywhere. :)

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

My 2 cents.

So long as they are in healthy condition from the last show (and personally I would give them a day off from handling etc so they can fill up on seed and rest), I would spray them once a day until a couple days before the show again to keep their feathers in top condition and promote good preening.

I always use boiling (well - just boiled at any rate) water in the spray bottle with a tiny touch of Apple Cider Vinegar and a tiny touch of Gylcerine. Using a fine mist spray the water cools more than enough before contacting the birds. Obviously don't spray right up close or with a solid jet!

IF your birds are in good show condition anyway, the water should virtually run off them as the condition in the feather helps prevent wetting so they should not be the soggy stressed out messes that they might have been when you first started spraying. Make sure you do this early in the day so they dry quickly and don't spray at all if it's cold and miserable.

Thanks Nub they have not been touched since the show, I have been letting then completely rest. Was thinking of putting them back in the flight for a few days for more relaxation and fun and excerise but it is much too hard catching them and spraying them. :)

But they all look in top health so far so I think I might give them a couple of days flight to perk them up more.

The flight is right next to where they are in their holding cages so it is the same conditions so they shouldn't go into a molt as it is fairly closed in

Yep hopefully they will not go into a moult. Sometimes even a little change can send them off.... (little buggers). How far away is the show? (or did I miss that from the last few posts?).

Just saw it - Saturday week. I would keep them to the same routine as before without putting them into a main flight for 2 reasons: possibility of moulting starting (and you said tails are already a worry) and keeping their feathers in nice condition.

Edited by nubbly5

Yep hopefully they will not go into a moult. Sometimes even a little change can send them off.... (little buggers). How far away is the show? (or did I miss that from the last few posts?).

Just saw it - Saturday week. I would keep them to the same routine as before without putting them into a main flight for 2 reasons: possibility of moulting starting (and you said tails are already a worry) and keeping their feathers in nice condition.

Thanks a lot for the advice Nub do you show much and if so how much is to much for the same birds like two or 3 shows a year too much.

Edited by splat

Well it really depends on the bird. I have birds I have taken to shows every month for a few months and then used them for breeding with no problems but others which are either more stressy or have copped some ill health in the meantime don't do as much, of course birds drop tails at times etc too. Mind you I pull my birds out of the flight maybe a day or two before the show, wash them if I need to and clean up any pin feathers, pull spots etc. Remebering these are just club table shows and not large regional shows.

Different entirely when I prep for the National Selections. I select my birds about 2 months prior, bucket wash each and every one of them and move them into my show team flight. Moving and washing them normally prompts them into a moult which leaves them in lovely condition right at the right time. Then I spray these birds as often as I can (daily is preference) with water, apple cider vinegar and glycerine until their feathers start to condition up and the water runs off. Once they get to this stage I don't worry if I miss a day or so spraying but will occasionally still give them a spray to keep them preening well (spreading their natural oils through their feathers). I spray and then either put them straight back into the flight if it's warm or if it's cooler I'll put them in a show box in the sun so the black of the box produces a nice warm environment for the bird. Over this period I have not had one bird that has not handled this routine with ease.

In your position with two shows close together like that, I would see no issues in running them all on as if you were still prepping for the one show. It's all about the bird though, and if one is not handling the routine, put it out to rest and recoup. I have to say though, I have had little trouble so long as the birds have a chance to eat and drink and are generally healthy.

Thank you for the great advice Nub you have been very helpful. my birds are use to me preparing them now that they look forward to their spraying :)

But of course their health is more important than any show.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I'll try some rainwater on eagle. see how he fluffs up. Fine mist I presume?