• Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  415
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/05/1989

I went to my boyfriend's house today - he has recently moved in with 2 other of his mates, both have girlfriends. One of the girls has a pet budgie. I think the bird is a she. I think she's a very pretty little girl, though she has had very little human contact as she is flighty as all get out. Any way -

I think she has only had this bird for a little while, as the cere still hasnt changed - tho it is showing signs of a pinky brown colour. From what I can work out, she has never had a bird before. There is only one perch in the cage, and a swing, which sits at the same level as the perch, so effectivly still only has one perch. She can't use the swing at all, coz there is a seed stick that sits above the swing - leaving no room for her. I looked down to the bottom of the cage - I dont think she has cleaned the cage since she bought the bird. I can see a layer of poo covering the bottom of the cage, along with seed husks and other things that the budgie no longer wants.

Oh and the pink ladder thats there, I put that there so at least she has somewhere else to sit at night - though it's not doing a great job of staying up. :happy-dancing:

I have pix, I know they arent the best -

Image051.jpg

Image057.jpg

Im tempted to take the bird - the girl who owns it is never there, so the 3 guys who live there have to look after it, and none of them have ever cared for a bird in their life. I dont want to cause a rift betwen my boyfriend and his mate tho, seeing as his girlfriends bird.

I think I am going to keep an eye on it and see if anything gets cleaned up, and if not, I might just look at calling the RSPCA - either that or conveniently making the bird fly away to my house!

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I'm not sure where to put it, and I hope the pix work!

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

That cage is totally unsuitable for a budgie :happy-dancing:

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

That cage is definitly too small and those dome cages are the worst. They give no room for the budgies to fly.

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

Aww what a little sweetie- I love ones that look like that.

Such a shame.... would they mind if you moved more things around? Maybe if you started showing enough interest in it, and they realised you really like it and seem attached to it, it might be less of a surprise if you ask one day if you can have it.

I don't like your chances though- people aren't quick to give away their pets... she is probably happy to just have her random moments of enjoyment of it and forget about it the rest of the time :happy-dancing:

Maybe you could try and track downa freebie cage through freecycle or similar and set it up better...

Guest DrNat

Help your friend look after it. Clean the cage. Give the bird some daily water too, it looks like there is no water. Re-arrange the stuff inside so it has a bit more freedom. Clip the bird's wings if necessary to reduce flightiness and allow more interaction between budgie and humans. Those cages are really only suitable as a night rest bedroom for the bird. If it is allowed to fly around outside of the cage (albeit with clipped wings), then it will have enough exercise. The cage is just for security. The bird needs to be allowed out, with supervised freedom every day. Always better to help others out, but find the balance between doing it for them and helping them to do it themselves. Show them how to do it better. Project budgie.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good advice Dr Nat :)

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

a round cage :) clearly a first time buy and the pet shop would have made the sale with the cage as well.

Where is the water?? budgies might not drink alot or often but they still need it.

Image057.jpg

There is water...on the left of cage

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

Aww what a little sweetie- I love ones that look like that.

Such a shame.... would they mind if you moved more things around? Maybe if you started showing enough interest in it, and they realised you really like it and seem attached to it, it might be less of a surprise if you ask one day if you can have it.

I don't like your chances though- people aren't quick to give away their pets... she is probably happy to just have her random moments of enjoyment of it and forget about it the rest of the time :)

Krosp is spot on, why not try to set a good example? A quick clean and some veggies and you may see a change in bird and owner. Don't bring in the heat, they will guess "who done it" If all else fails i like your bird napping plan, perhaps during a boozy party? DON'T GET CAUGHT

I wouldnt clip the wings however, I think that would be overstepping the mark and I doubt the bird will get out of cage time.

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

Totally with DrNat. Something else I can think of is to show her/the housemates what they could get out of the bird - a bonded, happy companion that they can all interact with. Try to educate subtly that it's not 'just a bird' - show her a tame, talking budgie that sits on your shoulder and preens your hair. Motivate her to want to change things.

I'll bet it's eaten nothing but seed all its life too - maybe offer it some greens or fruit or gum leaves next time you visit.

Personally, I would ask if you can rearrange the cage a little before actually doing anything - few people would say no if you offered help. Introduce yourself as a bird owner too and just comment that your own birds like certain things (rather than implying to her that she's mistreating the bird). Then offer to clean it while you're at it and that it's no trouble for you to do it. Take it slow and not forcefully. Some people resent it if you do things to their pet. Also, you might come off as a weird animal loving person (I know, it's totally not an insult to us at all, but your average person still thinks it's strange to be so devoted to an animal - particularly a bird). People are more likely to respond when they want to do something rather than having a person impose it on them. Otherwise things will keep going back to how they were.

She probably loves her bird, but simply doesn't know she isn't treating it right. So show her what it could be instead of punishing her (taking it away or calling in authorities) for wanting to have a pet.

Edited by Chrysocome

• Member ID:  4,395

the issue with the owner of the bird, is that she doesnt live there. i hate to be feral, but she comes over for her "15 minutes" with her bf, and then goes. the rest of the time she lives with her parents. so therefore the guys have to look after the bird. most of the guys dont actually cosider a bird as a pet, you cant cuddle it and groom it and that, like you can a cat or a dog. to them its just a thing that needs feed and water and thats it. so thats all they do to it.

i have never met this girl, i saw her for 30seconds today, but still wouldnt recognise her in a bunch of people. but from what ive heard about her, shes the most ditziest person ive ever heard of.

i dont want to clean the cage out, but its really bugging me. she has none of the sand mats for the cage, and really i think its just pathetic. i would really like to know that she does have some respect and care for the bird.

its just soo hard to know what to do! i will c how things are when I am there next, and i think i will have a go at re arranging some things - at my expense :)

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Oh thanks Kaz totally missed it there- *thinks it might be time to get eyes checked*

Good advise too clean it while you can to at least make the bird's life better and maybe give little hints to the guys as they seem to have been lumped with the care.

What do you use sand mats for?

Okay, three blokes and a budgie...how to get them to bond...Do budgies like beer? ha.ha

• Member ID:  4,395

What do you use sand mats for?

i use the sand mats on all my birds... they nibble at it and it helps to keep their beaks down. mine never eat cuttle fish, no matter what i do with it. and it has the calcium and that on it so its better for the bird.

i also find that the birds - especially my finches - have trouble walking on the bars on the bottom of the cage. the mats solve the problem...

I dont have sand mats and over hundreds and hundreds of budgies I have never had to have anything to "keep the beaks down"....another propaganda thing perpetuated by pet stores to sell things to people that they and their birds do not need. Throw them away...you dont actually need them and certainly not for the reasons they sell them for.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Try newspaper on the bottom of the cage... softer on their feet than sad mats...

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Yeah sandpaper stuff is just a waste of money. Use newspaper, it's way cheaper and works more efectively (ie you can see the poos properly).

The key to this situation is education. Like DrNat and Chryso said. By giving the girl confrontation you will be met with confrontation and she will refuse to change her ways. When you next see her compliment her on how cute her budgie is and sneak in a few comments about how your budgies love to sit on your shoulder and snuggle.

When ever you do something ask her. Also try teaching the boys too. Have them over at your place for a few drinks or whatever and show them your budgies and their set up, get the fids out and let the guys hold them. At the very least show your boyfriend and he could maybe learn a few things.

It is amazing how interested people can be in animals. I had a party at my place and my room was full of people looking at my chinchilla.

Just show an interest in her budgie.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

You have had some great advice on this topic. I completely agree that the sand mat things are a waste, black a white news paper pages are ideal :D

I really like the idea of helping the bird by educating the owners about how to care for it. Considering it's owner is away a lot, I also agree that the bird should have a bigger cage and probably a companion.

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

I agree with what others have said, do it in stages, add a few veggie out of their fridge sort of as an off handed thing and change the sand matting for newspaper.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

if i was you i would just buy a new cage for it you can get one at the wear house cheep and id just buy a bigger self feeder for days you are not their and get it a friend if she complains tell her she

should be thankful and how would she like to be stuck in a small room with out a friend and no room to move your arms if she says its only a bird then say in that case you wont miss it will you then pick up the cage and walk on out

besides if she only shows up for 15 minits each time then you wont need to deal with her as for you boy mates if they think thats harsh mabe their just to week to speak their own mind on the matter see how they feel on the matter after all its really their bird want it or not

just me ....

I agree with what others have said, do it in stages, add a few veggie out of their fridge sort of as an off handed thing and change the sand matting for newspaper.

"Veggies out of their fridge"...[put a laughing y.f. after that moderators]... we are talking about three blokes aren't we...

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

"Veggies out of their fridge"...[put a laughing y.f. after that moderators]... we are talking about three blokes aren't we...

thats funny richo :lol: gave me a laugh thanks