• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,050
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1945

Hi all after losing so many birds last week due to high temps im monatoring it a lot closer now the alarm on my computer now doesnt stop outside temp is now 44.3 inside aviar 37.6 am keeping up the cold water and spraying birds so far all okay though all a little stressed :)

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hey dodge. It is going to get a little hotter then a cool change soon mate .....

Keep up the added coolness on them only 4 weeks to go then the temps should be back to a bareable temp

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Try giving pro biotics in the water at stress dose level. It's amazing how this stuff perks them up.

It has been hot here too and i have just put a thermometer on my aviary so will keep track of the temps too.

I hope you dont get any more loss ;)

• Member ID:  4,793
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Achievement Points:  1,115

Hi all after losing so many birds last week due to high temps im monatoring it a lot closer now the alarm on my computer now doesnt stop outside temp is now 44.3 inside aviar 37.6 am keeping up the cold water and spraying birds so far all okay though all a little stressed ;)

What is your aviary like?

I have an inclosed setup and have it insulated, have an air con unit which i run for any days that shall be hotter than 30 to try and keep the area at 24 degrees.

On the really hot day we had in sydney which was 43 it got up to 31 degress in there, but when i put the watering system that i have on the roof to, it went back down to about 27.

Go to bunnings and get one of those green sprinklers that spirt out water along it. You shall notice a massive difference in the temp. you need to keep it running all day to keep the avery as cool as possible.

• Member ID:  4,474

Hey dodge. It is going to get a little hotter then a cool change soon mate .....

Keep up the added coolness on them only 4 weeks to go then the temps should be back to a bareable temp

Cant come soon enough Neat my old bones dont like the heat ether

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I am having problems with my aviary too as the trees have been cut out it sits out in the open and the poor birds are suffering so after the real hot day I went and purchased cement sheeting or clad to cover the roof and you wouldn't believe the difference its huge, I was going to insulate it to but the rain can probably get to it so I haven't bothered as yet. BUT REALLY WHAY RAIN :P

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

How is the shade conditions over your aviary/birdroom Dodger ? Any shadecloth or awnings over the birdroom ? Is there a second roof layer over the existing roof, or insulation in the walls or ceiling of the birdroom ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

do you have your tempurature gauges connected to your computer and have an alarm go off when it reaches a certain temperature? If so that's a great idea. :D If not, ignore me I am tired and I'm not reading straight...

How is the shade conditions over your aviary/birdroom Dodger ? Any shadecloth or awnings over the birdroom ? Is there a second roof layer over the existing roof, or insulation in the walls or ceiling of the birdroom ?
Hi Kaz no there is no shade or any sort of covering over the roof unfortunitely where the breeding roon is we can gain NO access to the rear or sides of the roof only the front other wise i would raise a shade cloth as a double roof
do you have your tempurature gauges connected to your computer and have an alarm go off when it reaches a certain temperature? If so that's a great idea. :D If not, ignore me I am tired and I'm not reading straight...
Hi Jimmy yes weather station is connected to computer alarm goes off when inside temp reaches 28 then goes of every time it raises 1 deg can be a B at times lol but it6 works and keeps me on my toes :what:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hi Kaz no there is no shade or any sort of covering over the roof unfortunitely where the breeding roon is we can gain NO access to the rear or sides of the roof only the front other wise i would raise a shade cloth as a double roof

any chance you or family can fit some insulation inside up attached to the ceiling Dodger ? I have put insulation in the walls and 2 inch thick polystyrene sheeting is glued to the inside ceiling of the birdroom roof. Some people I know have used the lids of the polystyrene fruit and vegies conatiners...freely given at a lot of fruit and vegie shops.

The polystyrene reduces inside temp at my birdroom by 15 degrees.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I have put insulation in the walls and 2 inch thick polystyrene sheeting is glued to the inside ceiling of the birdroom roof....

...The polystyrene reduces inside temp at my birdroom by 15 degrees.

I can vouch for that - it makes a huge difference and many breeders i know have done it. just glue it to the roof and any walls that the sun hits.

Also put a whirly bird thingie on the roof to let out the excess heat

any chance you or family can fit some insulation inside up attached to the ceiling Dodger ? I have put insulation in the walls and 2 inch thick polystyrene sheeting is glued to the inside ceiling of the birdroom roof. Some people I know have used the lids of the polystyrene fruit and vegies conatiners...freely given at a lot of fruit and vegie shops.

The polystyrene reduces inside temp at my birdroom by 15 degrees.

Thanks Kaz its a thought ill see what i can arrange