Sign in to follow this  
ILoveSy&Cilla

Budgies And Mice?

My housemate just got mice tonight! Yay! More pets for our house! But I just wanted to ask, can mice make budgies sick or anything? And will my budgies attack them? hehe..I have shown the mice to the birds and they just looked suspicious..otherwise no reaction. They'll probably stay separate anyway, but just need to check that there will be no problems/what precautions to take, etc. Thanks!!

Pet mice in a cage no worries, just be careful of things like budgie being nipped on the foot if they land on top of the cage and also don't allow the mice to eat from the budgies food dish due to their habit of toileting in their food.

I know that pet mice are clean and friendly... I just can't mix the two... to many people have problems with mice in their aviaries... I would say good as long as they arn't close to each other :blink:

Agree with the others... but just remember to wash your hands with a detol type hand wash when handling one or the other... to be sure you don't spread germs from one to the other, especially mice to birds.

I kept mice in the same room as budgies for years. I never washed my hands from one to the other either (I was a kid, so I didn't think about it) and I never had problems.

If the mice aren't sick then they are unlikely to pass anything to your birds anyway.

Not letting them toilet in the bird's food is common sense, just like not letting the birds toilet in their own food.

There is clean and then there is paranoia.

I also used to let my rat, chinchilla and budgies out all at the same time (they were all supervised, I don't recommend letting rats out while budgies are out, I did this before I discovered that rats will eat budgies), without washing my hands in between.

To be honest I still don't wash my hands between handling my different pets, unless one is sick. For instance I take my chinchilla out of her cage and into her sleeping cage and then I let my budgies out. If they are living in the same room and same home and no one is sick, then there is no need for it. Seeing as budgies pick up their own poop in their mouth and play with it.

Budgies have just as much chance to make your mice sick as the mice can make your budgies sick.

We used to keep our budgies on top of the chinchilla cage. One of our chinchillas became sick and he was put down. When we told the vet this, they suggested that having the budgies on top of the chinchilla cage was probably not very good for the chinchillas.

A period of quarantine is always a good idea though and it is during this time that you should wash your hands in between pets, but once the month has passed and everyone is healthy then there is really no need to worry.

Oh a side note. Having budgies flying over your mice can be very scary for the mice as they think it is a predatory bird hunting them. This goes for all rodents.

I think it is best to keep them seperated. Saves any issues

If the mice pee and poop on your hand then it is a good idea to wash your hands before feeding your birds.

Yes I agree with Dave. That way you can let both out without worrying about who's attacking who.

My chinchilla lives in the same room as my budgies currently (soon she will not, I'm staying with family currently), but I take her out of the room when I let my budgies out. Because even though she is a herbivore, if something lands on her cage she goes to inspect it and will bite it to see if it is edible.

Edited by Sailorwolf

I agree with everything that has been said too ....

Just remember Hygiene! and it should all be peachy :hi:

i have to dissagree with everone i dont think it is safe unless you keep them far away from each other and keep the mice cage or tank clean but i still dont think it is safe to ceep mice with birds because i had mice next to my birds and they were not well but when we moved we did not bring the mice and we have had not eny worries but maby it was not the mice you never know but i guess that we had wild mice in the avarie and in my new avarie there is not eny so mabe it was just the wild mice

but never handle them together and after wash your hands and well they will most likly be fine i hope but i am just telling you that just incase