• Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

"Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit".

I've always enjoyed this saying... Its why I've always laid the sarcasm on think... If its the lowest form of wit then you really need to use a lot in order to be funny :) The more the merrier. :wub:

Glad you had fun with Dave and Kaz libby ^_^

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

No, not 19. No need to go for that record. i will bring some back, but not that many

Not 19 Dave ????????????????????????

Try 22 and more to come ???

:(:D:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Today was a good day :D and the birds you brought home were outstanding.

Two Cec Gearing birds

Six Fran McLaughlan birds....including two 100% Henry George Birds, and one 50% Henry George bird

Two clearwing hens and one large split clearwing cock ( G & G house )

Three hens from libby , Bob Levy, Gary Armstrong and other.

and this was just todays. Tomorrow maybe more ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

sounds like a great day :D

lots of photos needed please :(

• Member ID:  4,763
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,070
  • Birthday:  11/05/1963

No, not 19. No need to go for that record. i will bring some back, but not that many

Not 19 Dave ????????????????????????

Try 22 and more to come ???

:(:D:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Today was a good day :D and the birds you brought home were outstanding.

Two Cec Gearing birds

Six Fran McLaughlan birds....including two 100% Henry George Birds, and one 50% Henry George bird

Two clearwing hens and one large split clearwing cock ( G & G house )

Three hens from libby , Bob Levy, Gary Armstrong and other.

and this was just todays. Tomorrow maybe more ?

Haha!! :D You're not a bad influence are you Kaz?? ;)

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Gee Dave looks like your having a great bird buying holiday :D , when are you going home. I think I might be a bit scared to go over for a holiday now might come back with heaps of birds Greg would kill me :(

Photos please :D

Haha!! :D You're not a bad influence are you Kaz?? :rofl:
:( I could be Hills....that must be it. I set up in advance some breeders to bring birds for Dave to look at. However I found myself drooling over most of these birds with a wish to have some of them for myself. Oh well......thems the breaks :D
Photos please :rofl:
We have another breeder outing today to go to so photos will have to wait :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Dave all I was trying to do was to point out that when you post a photo and simply entitled it "The WACA" it gave anybody who does not know the impression that the building in the foreground is the WACA which of course it is not. This is a public forum and as such photos will get lifted and can end up anywhere with the wrong caption attached. The net is a big place. It can be a great source to learn some really cool stuff. On the other hand a lot of misinformation is also available.

I do apprecitate the point you are trying to make. I am an IT teacher and I have a little knowledge of the internet and the world wide web myself. Of course, if a person "lifts"one of my photos and uses it without asking me permission, then they misinterpret what is meant by my photo, not only is it their own fault, but they deserve to suffer as they have broken a major international law to "lift"my photo. I may have posted my photo on an internationally viewed forum, but my photo is still mine under the Copyright Act. Whilst you are correct I could have been a little more helpful, it is not my place to assist those that would seek to pirate my work.

Dave I accept your apology and I am not a big fan of Jerry Seinfeld.

It is a shame that you did not like Jerry Seinfeld. I mean, he was a very famous comedian for many years before his sitcom was made, after which he became a household name. His show was syndicated earning him millions, it has gone on to gross even more on DVD, where it has become one of the most successful and highest grossing TV box set DVD's in history. Not everyone has to like the same thing. Always tough being in the minority though.

I always remember a saying I grew up with: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit". Although it has an excellent use as a tool for the detection of dementia I personally have never been a big fan it it.

I remember that saying. I always heard it from the people who had the worst senses of humour and just could not see the humour in any situation. I wonder if you could apply that saying to all walks of life.

Proctology is the lowest form of medicine.

Pop-up stories are the lowest form of literature.

Thumb wrestling is the lowest form of combat.

Well, since you detected the sarcasm, I suppose the only positive to come out of this is that you are clear of dementia. It is alright, no need to thank me for the free check-up - :(

As for my day, I lost the plot and bought too many wonderful birds. I suppose I am rarely going to get the chance to buy such high quality birds as such low prices.

The only problem when you get these great birds is that you want to breed the next generation of birds, I go ..."what do I put with such great birds? I cannot improve on that!!

Anyway, pics to come soon. Off to Cec Gearing's today. No more birds today (I don't think so anyway)

Do I need to be the respondee to my own incredibly thoughtful and incisive comments? Why, yes I do!!!!

Another great day for everyone but my wallet. Again it suffered due to my greed and willingness to purchase small fluffy friends.

Today I had the privelege to go to the home of Cec and Brenda Gearing. What a beautiful house they have. Before I even talk about the birds, let me wax lyrical about the incredible job Cec has done in the construction of this home, the beautiful artwork of Brenda, the welcoming nature of both of them, and the sheer hospitality they showed us throughout lunch, afternoon tea, in fact, the whole afternoon. They are such lovely people. It was a pleasure to meet them and talk with them.

Now, as for birds, they have wonderful birds of the highest quality as we all know. It is great to see Cec surprise himself sometimes when he comes across a bird that is of a superior quality than he thought he had bred that year. Amazing chicks everywhere to see.

As we concluded our aviary tour, Karen broke the ice, asking Cec what we hens he had that were available. I already had a testosterone imbalance so I needed oestrogen, and fast. Birds people, birds.

At first Cec thought he had nothing for us, but after some questioning, some furrowed brows and some thought provoking staring, Cec gathered a few birds up individually for us to assist him with checking the ring numbers. In the end, I was able to obtain 3 excellent hens.

The first, an 07 opaline, grey green cinnamon. Nice head and general width on her. pics to come tomorrow

The 2nd, an 06 Lutino. Her brother came 4th and 5th at the Nationals in recent years, so not only is she a good bird, she has good genes.

The 3rd is a young bird, born october 08. She is a grey green spangle Not too much to look at at the moment, but Cec put her full brother from a previous clutch in the show cage next to her and he was magnificent. We pretended to bid on him, but even Cec laughed at our suggestions. Cec thinks he might go to Nationals. Amazing looking 08 cock bird. This little hen will not be as good as him, but she has a long way to go herself and she has great blood lines.

So 3 Cec Gearing hens to go with the magnificent 2 boys I got on Sunday. 5 Cec gearing birds is amazing, and combined with the other birds I have bought, I am very very very very very very very very lucky.

Kaz did not leave empty handed, although this time she was kind enough to enable me to leave with more hens than her.

Kaz purchased an 07 yellow faced grey hen. Lovely bird. Cec bought the father of karen's hen for $2200. Karen got a great deal paying only half that - ha ha ha. Ken did not think that joke was funny either the first time I used it on him.

Bit of sad news. My grey/mauve opaline hen has not been good. She was regurgitating, had a pooey bum and recently started salivating from her beak . She obviously had an illness when she was purchased, and will not be joining my birds tomorrow on the flight home. We have dicsussed this with the people she was purchased from and as such, she will be returned tomorrow.

Overall, it has been a great time here in Perth. I thoroughly recommend a week here at Chateau Morgan. Come, stay, buy some birds. I did. Loved it.

p.s at the beginning of a thread by Liv I mentioned that I would not beat her record of 19 birds. That is true in a way. I did not beat it - I crushed it into the ground. I think I am at 27. Hard to keep count. Ran out of fingers and toes. Anyway, pics will come later, if not tomorrow, then definitely by the end of the week as they all settle into Wattle Flights.

Fare thee well Perth people. I am done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Have a safe trip home Dave, sounds like it was totally productive with birds, social fun and more :sad:.

Sorry to hear about your grey mauve hen :sadsorry:

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Haha! That is fantastic news dave! Sounds like you had a blast! 27 birds! To steal a line from Anastasia the cartoon - WOW! I tell you what WOW!

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Sorry about your mauve hen :sad:

So pleased you have had an awesome time and crushed my impressive (at the time) record! :sad:

I cant wait to see your photos. getting 5 cec birds is the BOMB!! Well done!! :sadsorry:

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Wow 27 birds you did have a great trip :) , Have a safe trip home with you birds Dave :sad: .

• Member ID:  4,756
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  546
  • Achievement Points:  3,465
  • Birthday:  07/10/1976

p.s at the beginning of a thread by Liv I mentioned that I would not beat her record of 19 birds. That is true in a way. I did not beat it - I crushed it into the ground. I think I am at 27. Hard to keep count. Ran out of fingers and toes. Anyway, pics will come later, if not tomorrow, then definitely by the end of the week as they all settle into Wattle Flights.

Hi Dave,

what a wonderful trip indeed! I can't wait to see photo's. I was just wondering, when you undertake such a trip, how do you put quarantine procedures in place? Having so many birds from so many places, although I doubt coming from such esteemed breeders as you have purchased from that anything would be wrong. Do you have lots of travel boxes and how will you quarantine at home? I hope I am not being intrusive, it is just that to obtain better birds myself travel is necessary also and it would be handy to know how you have done it for my reference.

So sorry to hear about your hen also.

Thanks,

Trish.

Hi Dave,

what a wonderful trip indeed! I can't wait to see photo's. I was just wondering, when you undertake such a trip, how do you put quarantine procedures in place? Having so many birds from so many places, although I doubt coming from such esteemed breeders as you have purchased from that anything would be wrong. Do you have lots of travel boxes and how will you quarantine at home? I hope I am not being intrusive, it is just that to obtain better birds myself travel is necessary also and it would be handy to know how you have done it for my reference.

So sorry to hear about your hen also.

Thanks,

Trish.

Not an intrusive question at all Trish, a perfect question to raise really.

In an ideal situation, you would keep the birds from one breeder quarantine away from the birds from another breeder. However when you are travelling, that is not possibled. To overcome this, there are some procedures and methods you can use to put in place.

1. Eternal Vigilance - you need to keep a close eye on your birds before they travel. Any bird that looks like it has any sign of illness, you need to isolate from the others. I had a mauve hen who appeared to be regurgitating and had a slightly pooey bottom, a few days before travelling. We seperated her, treated her with meds, but alas, it did not help. She died, but what she had, she died with. No others were affected due to the seperation.

2. Birds will stress when you move them. When they stress they get weaker and then diseases that they carry such as Megabacteria can flare and kill them. Every bird carries mega, no bird is immune from it. I was speaking to Kaz this morning who used the HIV/AIDS analogy. Megabacteria is a little like HIV. Birds carry it and it will not kill them. But they get weaker and it changes to AIDS and they have very limited time to survive. So how do you avoid your birds getting weaker? Prior to travel I use a product called Sparks. It is made by Vetafarm. You add it to the birds water. It increases the electrolytes the bird has to help keep it strong. I like to think of it as budgie Gatorage -

3. Quarantining your birds away from your flock - when you do return home with your birds, you need to employ the strictest quarantine treatment for yournew birds. They should be an absolute minimum 10 metres away from your birds. I personally think there should not be a direct line of sight as certain feather/dust diseases can travel on the wind. Treat all your birds with a comprehensive quarantine routine. There are many of these on the forum you can refer to. If you are not sure, do a search. I will use doxy as adivsed by me vet at consultation through my avain vet before I actually came to Perth, I will do the basic worm and lice treatment (though later in the aviary I am going to test this new Aloe Vera treatment a breeder I met told me about) as well as giving each bird the basic drop of ivermectin. Even though I have quarantined birds before, i will still do a search and get further information from others. No one knows it all.

As is often discussed, time is important in the quarantine as well. You should quarantine for an absolute minimum of 30 days, but you are much better off going for 6-7 weeks. The temptation to cut it short is massive. Fight that temptation.

That is just some initial thoughts off the top of my head, with help from thoughts from inside Kaz's head. I will post more later.

Thanks so much for your reply Dave, I see you have put alot of forethought in, even before you stepped on the plane, well done and I'm sure your vigilance will pay off. I can't wait to see more photo's and wish you and your new birdies a safe trip home.

Cheers,

Trish.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Hope you have a safe trip Dave and all your birds pull up well. You have bought some beauties which should provide an exceptional basis for the foundation of a fantastic stud. Good luck with the quarantine!

Edited by KAZ

Hope you have a safe trip Dave and all your birds pull up well. You have bought some beauties which should provide an exceptional basis for the foundation of a fantastic stud. Good luck with the quarantine!

Renee, thank you for those beautiful words. It was nice to meet you. Thank you for welcoming me into your home and showing me your birds.

Trish, thank you for the nice words. Preparation is always the key to success. Far too often I have learnt that lesson through hindsight.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Renee, thank you for those beautiful words. It was nice to meet you. Thank you for welcoming me into your home and showing me your birds.

You're a lovely guy Dave, it was a pleasure meeting you. :)

Dave is headed home. Birds have been packed and sent. All seemed comfortable in their roomy cage. There was plenty of room to move around in there. They had heaps of yummy millet sprigs to eat along the way.

Here they are.....

Cec Gearing Cock

davesbirds060.jpg

davesbirds058.jpg

davesbirds056.jpg

davesbirds053.jpg

Cost to send birds............... $50

Edited by KAZ

Great photo's, let the games begin.... cost to send them $50 cost to send Dave $..... Value of having such a ball with Kaz collecting his haul...Pricele$$

Forgot to mention.....final bird tally was 29 I think.....10 over limit :)

• Member ID:  4,763
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  529
  • Achievement Points:  3,070
  • Birthday:  11/05/1963

Do they just send them through with the normal baggage or do they do something special?

Do they just send them through with the normal baggage or do they do something special?

There is a pet section in the cargo bay of the plane :)

Kaz did not leave empty handed, although this time she was kind enough to enable me to leave with more hens than her.

Kaz purchased an 07 yellow faced grey hen. Lovely bird. Cec bought the father of karen's hen for $2200. Karen got a great deal paying only half that - ha ha ha. Ken did not think that joke was funny either the first time I used it on him.

Here is my little YF grey hen ( Dave she's another one whose hard to get a picture of :P ) PS she only cost me $50. I consider a bargain.

aviaryjan09069.jpg

aviaryjan09061.jpg

Well I am home and all the birds are settling in.

Most travelled well, but a few were a bit stressed and one lutino has a broken feather. She seems well and is eating, so I am not overly concerned.

Yes, there were 29 birds. 10 hens and 19 cocks. They are in 6 cages, with 2 cages of 5 hens, 3 cages of 5 cocks, and 1 cage of 4 cocks

All seemd pleased to eat normal seed and drink water. There is sparks in the water, so that should help them. They will all undergo doxy treatment soon as well.

Pics are uploading to photobucket so they will have to be added tomorrow