R.i.p Blueberry..

Teagan

Well yesterday morning mum came to my door and told me Blueberry. my budgie, had looked very sick, so I go outside and he had alot of trouble breathing, he had diahrrea, and he could barely keep his balance.

By this point I'm freaking out and called the vet for an ASAP appointment, we got there and had to wait around 45 minutes when she said we could get in straight away. The vet saw Blueberry and then told me she wouldn't know what was wrong and then told me to go to a Bird Vet, so they booked us an appointment and we headed over there.

The vet looked at Blueberry, and told us straight up he would have very little chance of surviving, but if I wanted to try and save him that we can put him into intensive care, he was underweight, and they would of had to force feed him, give him antibiotics and kist keep an eye on him through the night, and if I wanted to continue on with that it would of been $150 a day after that first night.

She did a swab of the area where he stores the food and she put it under the microscope to find alot of parasites. And I mean ALOT of them, she felt around his neck and found he had a very large bump around his throat which is the reason why he was struggling to breath. So at this point she was going through my options of what I could do with him, I wanted him to live but watching him just looking for hopeless and struggling to breath, I asked for him to be put to sleep, of course between sobbing. I was really upset and I still am, I have been crying alot since then.

She also checked out Lemon, which also had the parasite but not as bad and she was seemingly fine. I now have her on antibiotics. So I hope Lemon pulls through this.

It turned out when I bought the birds they already had the parasite, so I am never buying from a pet store again, and going straight to a breeder. The vet is gonna give me the number when I go in 2 weeks from now for Lemon's second checkup..

I am gonna miss Blueberry so much, I only had him for just over 2 months, it really isn't gonna be the same without him. But I think I made the right choice..

Blueberry with Lemon

BBLsmall.jpg

Edited by Teagan

im so sorry Teagan, i'm sure you made the right decision for Blueberry and Lemon, may he/she live on forever in budgie heaven :)

Offtopic - i know this is a bad time but i would like to welcome you to the forums and hope you Lemon can brighten up your life for many years to come :lol:

So sorry for your loss mate. When budgies show signs of illness it is often too late. Don't blame yourself, and just remember he is now free of pain and flying free in heaven. :) Good luck with Lemon and I hope she's fighting fit in no time.

In regards to getting another bird from a breeder. You'll need to keep the new one in another room or 5 metres away from Lemon for 30 days. This quarintine is essential for the health of the new bird and lemon. After that they can be introduced and possibly housed together. I'd be also waiting until Lemon is 100% before getting a new companion... but that is just my opinion.

Again... so sorry for your loss... Hugs xoxo

I'm very sorry for your loss :)

I hope that Lemon will pull through this.

Edited by birdluv
im so sorry Teagan, i'm sure you made the right decision for Blueberry and Lemon, may he/she live on forever in budgie heaven :)

Offtopic - i know this is a bad time but i would like to welcome you to the forums and hope you Lemon can brighten up your life for many years to come :D

I know, I have had budgies before, and I have only just recently started getting back into them. But when I go back to the vets in 2 weeks for her next dose for the mites, the vet is also checking to make sure she is in the all clear and dosn't carry anything. But when I buy a new bird it will also be getting a checkup.

So sorry for your loss, you did everything you could to help Blueberry.

Big hugs and welcome to the forum.