• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

So if its good at inhibiting yeast and fungi, could it help with mega too??? What about things like Canka and psittacosis?

sounds like something that EVERYONE should use on their birds frequently.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Psittacosis is a respiratory bug, probiotics won't do anything against that.

The idea that a bird's gut is sterile, sounds ridiculous to me. Everything they eat has bacteria on it, so some of those are bound to establish a hold in the gut. Also their faeces gives off the smell of methane which is produced by E. coli.

The caeca is where fermentation occurs in the gut. Fermentation requires bacteria in order to occur.

• Member ID:  3,771

David has just gotten home after searching all morning with no avail for animal pro biotic.

He bought "inner health" pro biotic power form the health store.... is this okay to use? if so, how much is to dose??? it says there are 15 billion bacteria per 1/2 teaspoon

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

a very good article splat :sad: Thanks.

I found my Answer to my above question....

Answer = NO

Probiotics for exotic birds must be specially designed for them,

they must be avian specific. Since a bird's body temperature is

higher than mammals the probiotic type bacteria found in the gut

flora are different. They must be specifically selected for their

effectiveness on exotic birds. It is a mistake to think that

probiotics that work on dogs, pigs, humans or even poultry will be

ideal for your parrot.

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Look on the bright side, you'll be able to enjoy the inner health plus, isn't that the one with the equivalent of 25 tubs of yogurt in 1 capsule or something? just remembered its the powdered form, ignore me :sad:

Edited by JimmyBanks

• Member ID:  4,620
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  475

UNDERSTANDING PROBIOTICS

By

Wanda Barras

Caged and hand-fed birds can suffer from a myriad of disease problems, which are brought about by stress and other environmental factors. Birds can be plagued by chlamydial, fungal, viral and parasitic diseases. Nutritional deficiencies, a less than ideal environment, and other stressors can and will lower a birds defense system allowing infectious agents to take hold. The most important aspect of disease control is prevention. As we all know many diseases can be prevented by proper planning, quarantine, cleanliness, pest control and husbandry practices. Routine probiotic therapy can help in the prevention of disease in the aviary and nursery.

Probiotics is defined as:

Live microbial feed supplements, which beneficially affect the host animal by improving its intestinal microbial balance. Antibiotics and other related compounds are not included in this definition. In humans, lactobacilli are commonly used as probiotics, either as single species or in mixed culture with other bacteria. Other genera that have been used are bifidobacteria and streptococci. (j. Nutr. 1995;125:1401-12)

As in all animals, there is a normal microfloral population that coexists with our birds. It is believed that almost any form of stress can change this balance of microflora and precipitate a disease situation. However in a healthy bird the normal flora has the ability to combat any possible imbalance or infection. The Merck Veterinary Manuel states that, "The GI Flora of healthy psittacines is predominantly gram-positive (streptococci) and Staphlococcus epidermidis with a variable number of Cacillus and Lactobacillus spp), but gram-negative bacteria predominate as pathogens." (Merck). Probiotic is a term used to denote this naturally occurring group of organisms that is the beneficial "friendly" flora. The two dominant strains of probiotic microflora are Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. These are the two most widely researched and documented. Bifidobacterium bifidum inhibits the growth of E. coli in the small intestine and Lactobacillus acidophilus is an significant probiotic that inhabits the GI tract of humans and animals, including birds.

A Balance of Microflora

Cultures of direct-fed microorganisms or probiotics are able to multiply in the intestinal tract to create a balance of microflora. Some lactobacillus species used in probiotic applications include L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. reuteri, L. rhamnosus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. These and other organisms form a symbiotic or mutual relationship with their host. Each species has developed a resistance to the disease-causing potential of such organisms and in fact have formed mutual beneficial relationships with these organisms (Doane). In the gut of a healthy bird, the beneficial bacterial population---gut flora---thrives in great numbers. The established flora prevents other, sometimes dangerous, organisms from invading and flourishing within the digestive system (Vriends). That is, these beneficial microorganisms fill all the available ecological niches in the body. This prevents harmful bacteria,such as E. coli from gaining a foothold and flourishing. The familiar L. acidophilus produces lactic acid, reduces gut pH and acts as a colonizer (Schoen). Thus, establishing healthy gut flora and preventing disease.

The normal avian microflora/gram positive bacteria found in the avian gut are: Corynebacterium, enterococus, Bacillus, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Micrococcus and or course Lactobacillus. Lactobacillus acidophilus, the best known of a type of acidophilus bacteria (bacteria attracted to acid), is a genus of bacteria belonging to the family Lactobacillaceae. It has been suggested that L. acidophilus is a beneficial or so-called "friendly" bacterium, which provides an important function in the body of animals and birds. Lactobacillus organisms are gram-positive, nonmotile, rod shaped organisms that do not produce spores, are acid resistant and thrive in acidic conditions (pH 4-5; neutral pH is 7.0; blood is at a pH of 7.2).

Beneficial Bacteria

This "beneficial bacteria" create an acidic environment that inhibits the intestinal growth of pathogenic bacteria, yeast, and fungi. "Test tube studies have shown that L. acidophilus can and will inhibit the growth [that is discourage the growth, not treat] of candida albicans. It has also been suggested, based on test tube studies, that L. acidophilus may have potential antibiotic effects of its own" (Scott-Hartland). Probiotics do produce a natural antibiotic-like substance called bactericine, which helps to eliminate unwanted coliforms. Thus, a bird's normal bacterial flora develops an effective defense mechanism against infection and illness. The end result is a healthy, viable intestinal lining that can maintain optimal nutrient absorption capabilities and ultimately fight disease. However, if the bacterial balance is destroyed or if natural flora has not been established dangerous disease causing organisms will thrive, eventually requiring medical intervention.

Microbials and Stress

It is during times of illness, antibiotic therapy, injury and excessive stress that the normal microflora, pH and digestive process can be effected. Examples of stress that can alter a birds normal microflora populations in the gut are: feed or formula changes, poor nutrition, hatching, weaning, inadequate or close housing, shipping, excessive temperatures, exposure to pathogenic microorganisms or viruses, weakened immune system, and over exertion. Stress can lead to a decrease in food intake, and without adequate energy sources, beneficial microflora populations' decline. Subsequently, the pH of the GI tract rises and pathogenic bacterial populations increase. Direct-fed microbials can reestablish the natural gut flora that in turn lower the intestinal pH, making the GI environment less favorable for disease causing organisms. Probiotic therapy will introduce "good" bacteria into the gut, encourage colonization and a healthy growth of microflora. The probiotics will prevent undesirable organisms (pathogens) from gaining a foothold and colonizing in the intestine ultimately causing illness.

During Antibiotic Therapy

Alteration of gut flora or "gut sterilization" is a frequent side effect of antibiotic therapy. Never should hand-feeding babies or adults for that matter be put on antibiotic or anti-fungal therapy as a prophylactic. Indiscriminate or prolonged use of antibiotics can destroy normal body flora, and depress the immune system and create resistant pathogens. It is at these times that direct-fed, species-specific microbials, also referred to as probiotics or lactobacillus, can prove beneficial. Probiotics can safely be used as a prophylactic and as supportive therapy when administering antibiotics. These new species-specific probiotics can supply nutrients to the host, aid in digestion and produce better food conversion. They will help keep disease causing microorganisms in check by producing antibacterial agents and enzymes that act on and kill many pathogenic bacteria and viruses. Probiotics help neutralize toxins produced by pathogenic bacteria and produce a wide range of B-vitamins and beneficial enzymes (Schoen).

Hand-fed Chicks

Psittacine chicks usually hatch with no bacteria present. These chicks are for all practical purposes sterile. From hatch on, chicks are continually absorbing organisms from their surroundings---beneficial as well as harmful pathogens. If gram negative bacteria are allowed to flourish without benefit of healthy digestive flora, problems will occur. Parent raised chicks naturally ingest normal gut flora from their parents and from the environment. Hand-fed chicks on the other hand, particularly those fed from day one and raised in an artificial sometimes sterile environment, often lack the natural gut flora found in parent raised chicks. Most name brand commercial hand-feeding formulas do contain some form of lactobacillus. Unfortunately, these living organisms are often killed during formula preparation due to high temperatures or storage conditions and are ineffective in establishing healthy gut flora in neonates. Hand-fed chicks are ideal candidates for direct-fed microbials and will benefit from species-specific probiotic therapy.

Avian Strain Suggested

Not all probiotics are created equal. Bacterial preparations, direct-fed microbials, also referred to as probiotics or lactobacillus are widely available commercially. It is important to recognize and choose the right product. Some probiotics are not effective on birds. Many bacterial preparations are harvested from the gut flora of mammals such as swine or cattle and show little benefit when used on parrots. These microbial products may have the same name as those that are found in birds but---can prove ineffective if non species-specific. "Just because the label states lactobacillus… does not mean that the product was derived from birds." (Jordan). Because available products are not always species specific, derived totally from the intestinal flora of psittacines, or viable, they will not have the ability to multiply, adhere to the intestinal tract and establish healthy gut flora. Susan Club, a noted aviculturist and veterinarian, states,

" Many natural products, such as some brands of yogurt, do not contain viable Lactobacillus cultures. Some researchers feel that species-specific lactobacilli may be required for gut colonization."(Harrison). For example: Yogurt a widely available form of lactobacillus is widely used as a probiotic in hand-feeding programs. But, yogurt, which is made from milk, is species specific for mammals----not birds! The lactobacillus in yogurt (which is probably harvested from the stomach of a cow and is species specific to mammals) will not thrive and multiply in the avian gut. In order to establish a colony of healthy flora in the gut, a viable avian specific probiotic should be utilized when hand-feeding.

Fortunately beneficial bacterial preparations, that is species-specific probiotics, have become more widely available to the growing avicultural community. These commercially available, direct-fed microbials are found to be extremely beneficial in helping to maintain and restore health in our hand-fed babies, breeders and pet birds. Probiotics such as Pet-Ag's Bird Bene-Bac gel offer natural and effective therapy not only for diseases relating to the digestive system and crop dysfunction, but also offers an opportunity to establish a stable, healthy gut environment that will aid in disease prevention. Only by establishing a strong "disease prevention program", which includes probiotic therapy and good husbandry and management practices, can we hope to raise birds free of or resistant to disease.

Thanks Splat, good article! Jaz

• Member ID:  4,669
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,285
  • Birthday:  12/06/1987

Renee is ordering some from my work.

Its 42.95 for 200g and 7.70 registered asap postage

Thats great to know :)

I managed to get a few sachets from my local fodder store. They will do for now, ( i want David's new hen to have them) and i will look at getting a more cost effective way soon. $43 is a great price, especially for 200g and i may just get some from you if i cant get any locally :D

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  4,669
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,285
  • Birthday:  12/06/1987

When I first heard I thought it was ridiculously expensive. But I guess thats what they cost

• Member ID:  4,793
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,115

Thats great to know :angry:

I managed to get a few sachets from my local fodder store. They will do for now, ( i want David's new hen to have them) and i will look at getting a more cost effective way soon. $43 is a great price, especially for 200g and i may just get some from you if i cant get any locally :bump:

Whats the product called?

The stuff i got is called Protexin....

Its not avian specific :) but its has 9 strains of pro biotic which is meant to cover most domestic animals, including caged birds.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

You can get it over the net for 39.00 The Australian pigeon company, Dr Colin Walker if the postage is to expencive you can add other things like PVM powder which I use it is very ecomonical way to do vitamins and minerals and their are is a lot more products their in the pigeon part but I am not sure if gst is on their or not but I pay $39 for my probac anyway here is the link.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/store/pigeon...ducts_shelf.htm

Awesome! thanks for the link. they have a huge range of interesting looking products :blink:

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

The stuff i got is called Protexin....

Its not avian specific :blink: but its has 9 strains of pro biotic which is meant to cover most domestic animals, including caged birds.

Gerald Binks in "The Challenge" says-

Nearly all probiotics on the market contain Lactobacilli and/or Streptococci. They may contain a single strain or up to 8 strains .

Do store your probiotics very carefully. They must be kept perfectly dry at all times and at a low temperature. The fridge door is an ideal place.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I keep my in the fridge, I nearly all my bird procucts in the fridge and it helps to prolong their life :blink:

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

The google ad on the last page was hilarious. I love how they relate it to the thread topic.