• Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

It takes ALOT of gum leaves to make one little bottle of oil, eucy oil's not poisonous in small doses, do you take eucalyptus lozenges if you have a stuffed up nose?

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Thanks for the heads up on the oil there MB :rofl:

• Member ID:  4,233

I've been chewing on gum leaves ever since I was little, the best ones are Eucalyptus citriadora :rofl:

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

No I don't. But that's cool. They just use eucalyptus oil to kill insects and such, so I was not sure. And I remember being told it was poisonous as a kid, so I have always remained suspicious of it.

And I remember reading somewhere that koala's are so lethargic because of all the toxins in the eucalyptus tree leaves that they eat.

I know it sounds stupid, but I thought maybe australian birds would be able to eat it, because they evolved with it and have the right enzymes to deal with it or something and because some species of birds are able to eat berries and things that would kill us. Like birds can eat some weird stuff that mammals can't eat. I wouldn't give eucalyptus to my chinchilla.

That makes me feel better then.

I remember Daz had some birds that died after eating dried eucalyptus leaves though.

We have a heap of eucalyptus trees on our farm. I love making play gyms for the budgies with the branches. Sometimes we get kookaburras and sulphur crested cockatoos staying in them too, and heaps of rosellas. Sounds normal until you remember where I am. :rofl:

Edited by Sailorwolf

Koalas aren't lethargic, they sleep alot because gum leaves are very little nutritional value, in order to subsist on them they have to eat lots and sleep lots ;)

There are some species which you have to be careful of which all originate in Western Australia. These plants actually contain the same toxin as the poison 1080 (used on foxes and rabbits), the native animals in the area are resistant to this poison and it is one of the reasons that fox and rabbit baiting in South west western australia is much simpler than over east, they don't have to worry about the potential impact of the baits on native species as it won't have any affect on them :D HOWEVER, species not from that region haven't evolved this resistance so you should always be extremely careful feeding plant species which originate from that area to an animal or bird which does not. ;)

Goodie. So then you should really only feed eucalypts to Aussies then? lol

Sorry I misread your post.

I don't really feel comfortable with feeding eucalypts to non-aussie animals, but that could just be a suspicion that I've had from childhood.

Edited by Sailorwolf

Not necessarily, the genus Eucalyptus is not restricted to Australia and neither is Acacia ar many of the others we feed our birds. These genera and many of the others we feed our birds are much more widespread than most people realise, especially in areas of Africa and Asia and even America. I'm sure many of themare in New Zealand too maybe in other forms, we certainly share other species such as Nothofagus sp.

• Member ID:  4,669
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,285
  • Birthday:  12/06/1987

Sorry to hear about your daughter Trish. I hope things have been sorted out. Did you end up finding out what sort of finches they are. I have a feeling they are actually mannakin finches (they come in a variety of colours), so if they are infact Manakins then they are very hard to sex visually. If you hold them and compare the shape under the beaks you will find that one is more rounded and one is more "V" shaped. I forget which one is male or female. The easiest way is to sex them like you would sex canaries - by feeling the pubic bones. But I cant do this lol. So your on your own there. hehehe. Im still learning, they all feel the same to me!

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

And I remember being told it was poisonous as a kid, so I have always remained suspicious of it.

That was the New Zealand Government Propaganda that they told you all so that you wouldn't want to come here... however after many years of Economic Irrationalism you've all decided to make the trip over the ditch to the land of Oportunity and freedom...

;) ;) :D :laughter: :laughter: :laughter:

• Member ID:  4,756
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  546
  • Achievement Points:  3,465
  • Birthday:  07/10/1976

Sorry to hear about your daughter Trish. I hope things have been sorted out. Did you end up finding out what sort of finches they are. I have a feeling they are actually mannakin finches (they come in a variety of colours), so if they are infact Manakins then they are very hard to sex visually. If you hold them and compare the shape under the beaks you will find that one is more rounded and one is more "V" shaped. I forget which one is male or female. The easiest way is to sex them like you would sex canaries - by feeling the pubic bones. But I cant do this lol. So your on your own there. hehehe. Im still learning, they all feel the same to me!

They are bengalese finches and according to some people on the finch forum I joined (at Liv's suggestion) it seems the only way to tell is that the male sings and dances and the female doesn't.....cant wait to see that one!

I successfully put them into a nice clean cage tonight as they had all gone to sleep in the one nest! I just covered the entry hole gently and carried them to the new cage. Now I will give their old cage a thorough clean and redecorate and return them to it! I'll take some pics tomorrow but they are sleepy tonight and need to settle into the new cage.

My daughter had an absolute ball at the Christmas Light up night in Casterton tonight, the fireworks went for a good 20 minutes and she got to see all her friends and go on all the rides, so yesterdays events are now far from her mind, thanks everyone for your kind words ;)

• Member ID:  4,669
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  535
  • Achievement Points:  3,285
  • Birthday:  12/06/1987

Awesome Trish. As you can tell im not a finch-o person. heheh Leave it to the experts

I'm sure it won't be long till you work out which ones are the males,once you work it out you could put little coloured split rings on the males so you know. Just as a side thought despite the neighbours poor care the elderley lady is probably quite sad at the loss of her pets. Might be nice to take a few photos and drop them over so she can see her babies have been well cared for.

I'm sure it won't be long till you work out which ones are the males,once you work it out you could put little coloured split rings on the males so you know. Just as a side thought despite the neighbours poor care the elderley lady is probably quite sad at the loss of her pets. Might be nice to take a few photos and drop them over so she can see her babies have been well cared for.

For sure... I was thinking of doing something I just didnt know what? Maybe I'll make her a christmas card with their photo on front. I'll let you know how it goes.

The finches have little split rings on they are blue, peach, white and yellow. I'm sure if I'm given a chance (been so busy lately) to sit and observe I will work it out. They are lovely things, I thought all finches made the same sound but these guys are so different to the Zebra's that make a meep meep noise.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I remember Daz had some birds that died after eating dried eucalyptus leaves though.
Eucalyptus used in dry flower arrangements have been treated with chemicals so those that have any of these dried arrangements in their home must not let their house birds chew on them. Edited by KAZ

The move late last night was successful and here are some snaps from today....

dcp_4008_00.jpg

dcp_4001_00.jpg

dcp_4002_00.jpg

Finches are very hard to photograph!

dcp_4019.jpg

They are looking wonderful Trish and very cute too. I'm glad your daughter had a good time at the Christmas lights.

:rofl: Jimmy B, I like Australia because of all its awesome animals (there are lizards everywhere!) and you have huge as shopping centres (hehe oh and the fact you can have pet snakes), but I still prefer home, we are very laid-back, friendly people and I like that. Also we can have pet bunnies and chinchillas, I didn't see any in Queensland :(

Well I don't know what a chinchilla is but bunnies are a pest and should be irradicated... Am I allowed to say that??

New Zealand was a very nice place to visit. ;) When I was there Air New Zealand said they were going to lay off 200 jobs, did they end up doing that??

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

The finches look great Trish :ohmygod: You are doing an excellent job with them , can't wait to see the clean decorated cage :P

The finches look great Trish :P You are doing an excellent job with them , can't wait to see the clean decorated cage :)

I washed out the cage yesterday and unfortunately the bottom is very rusty, I think it needs replacing. So maybe it will be a bit longer as it isnt something I can do myself. I will have to get Dave to do it but he is working almost 6 days a week at the moment and I hate to hassle on his day off :ohmygod: They are very comfortable in the cage they are in for a couple of weeks but if I get it done sooner I will post pics!

Yes yes more pics!

:) (sorry Trish) I don't know if they laid them off yet (I am bad at keeping up with news)

We love pics... They make us happy :)

We love pics... They make us happy :D

They are little darlings! They were bathing today and then hopping up to their mirror and preening in front of it! It is the first I have seen them have and gosh did they enjoy it! The other name for Bengalese is "Society Finches" and its not wrong, they are very social little things who greatly rely on the companionship of others! The way they cram into one place when they sleep is amazing!

I will take more pics but they are very scared little things so baby steps, I KNOW we are all photo junkies but I have to think of the little guys and whenever I open their little door they freak out so I'll have to just take pics "every other day" until they settle!

I also saw them and the older budgies that hadn't had them before eating the sprouted seeds which is a wonderful thing. I would NEVER had thought how much happiness, satisfaction and companionship these little things could bring..... :wub: To see them enjoying the sprouts so much was excellent! I have them all in a dissused laundry attached to my house so rain hail and shine I can enjoy them, it is nice and I can hear them from the lounge (budgies, finches and cockatiel).