lil_fuzzy

I'm Going Mad

Right.. The screaming wouldn't be so bad if it was just a couple of occasional screams, it's just they keep screaming and screaming and I can't hear myself think...

Hehe:)

I'm sure it must be because they were aviary birds... My old budgies never made much noise, and they were never in an aviary.... Oh well:/

I believe you can reduce this behavior by getting them out of their cages, have you personally thought about getting their wings clipped just in the beginning so you can let them out.

You have to think about this in terms of a budgie the wild budgie flies hundreds of miles a day and they can't even fly 1 mile and exercise properly because they are coped up in a cage.

Now I am not saying that you are doing anything wrong what I am saying is that the screeching is coming from frustration just like a dog that chews up the house because he is not given an outlet of say walking.

I really believe if you gave them an outlet to get out of their cage and explore you would find that the noise would lessen a lot.

Too many people rehome because they don't understand the nature of the pet they are getting. Merlin is at his nicest when he has had a good day out of his cage and when he is coped up because we don't have time he is louder and he has a huge cage to fly around in but it is not the same as getting out.

Yeah, makes sense. My old budgies were out all day and returned to their cage on their own when they got hungry in the evening.

I'm just worried that these won't wanna go back in the cage, and because they're scared of me catching them would be a problem... Do you think they've been here long enough to know that the cage is home? (3 weeks today)

Yeah, makes sense. My old budgies were out all day and returned to their cage on their own when they got hungry in the evening.

I'm just worried that these won't wanna go back in the cage, and because they're scared of me catching them would be a problem... Do you think they've been here long enough to know that the cage is home? (3 weeks today)

When l let my budgies out for the first time l was nervous too. My birds flew around but they would come back to their cage on their own to eat some food. If they do not come back to the cage when you want them to, you can dim the lights, they usually will then go to their cage. Now if you do not care if your budgies are not tamed. You can just open up their cage and let them come out on their own. If you want them to be hand tamed it is best for you to get them on your finger (finger tamed) to let them out. If you want to tame your budgies you can find some got information in the FAQ article written by Elly and also l have a thread on how l tamed my 2 2year old budgies Hobbes and claires Journal :D

Edited by birdluv
added some more information to original post.

I've read the taming part of the FAQ and have started on your journal. Looks very useful and your birdies are gorgeous:)

I'd prefer them to be hand tamed, but I don't really expect them to be. Will give it a try tho, thanks:)

You don't have to have them handtamed to let them out, I think if you start letting them out and make sure you only give them food and water in their cages along with millet you can entice them back just like your other birds they were out all day and then came back when they were hungry :question:. If you do it in a smaller room at first you will have more success.