• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Petshops vary greatly... From what I have seen, most near me are not good. There are many I won't give any bussiness to, as I don't agree on the consitions of how they keep their animals, therefor they got NONE of my money... There are a few however, that are really good and I often go there...

• Member ID:  5,298
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  518
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  2,950
  • Birthday:  10/03/1978

I saw "eagle" at a pet shop, he is an absolute cracker and I am stoked to have him. Perhaps take as you find. My local has just been taken over by a bird breeder, changed stock every week! I have read of some very happy purchases on this site from pet shops but do agree better to buy amongst ourselves. However, by walking into pet shops we see, we fall in love, we buy...

its easy to get sucked in the birds at the petshop :(

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have NEVER seen a petshop quarantine birds brought in. I am not saying it doesnt happen, BUT I see each lot of new birds put straight in with the others. I was instrumental in making changes to one petshop who wanted to buy my budgies once and i didnt like the way they did things. I made them make changes for the welfare of the birds before I would sell to them and I made sure I would do spot checks to keep them on their toes. Many a time I would call in and make the staff change water and seed and redistribute birds amongst cages to make numbers better and life easier for the birds.

It is always a person who has worked for petshops that defends them but what the MINORITY do should not be taken for granted that they all do the same.

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I have NEVER seen a petshop quarantine birds brought in. I am not saying it doesnt happen, BUT I see each lot of new birds put straight in with the others. I was instrumental in making changes to one petshop who wanted to buy my budgies once and i didnt like the way they did things. I made them make changes for the welfare of the birds before I would sell to them and I made sure I would do spot checks to keep them on their toes. Many a time I would call in and make the staff change water and seed and redistribute birds amongst cages to make numbers better and life easier for the birds.

It is always a person who has worked for petshops that defends them but what the MINORITY do should not be taken for granted that they all do the same.

I have never worked at a pet shop

I have never worked at a pet shop

I wasnt talking about you Richo :(

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Petshops vary greatly... From what I have seen, most near me are not good. There are many I won't give any bussiness to, as I don't agree on the consitions of how they keep their animals, therefor they got NONE of my money... There are a few however, that are really good and I often go there...

snap maesie :P

• Member ID:  5,489
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144
  • Achievement Points:  950
  • Birthday:  12/12/1958

I am lucky as my local pet shop where I have bought birds from is owned by a bird breeder.

Can we name the bad shops with out getting in to to much trouble legally , I am a member of a fishing site as well and we can take a photo of the building showing the name but can't say who they are .

That way we can all keep clear of those shops.

Ross

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

You're the bomb Ross...keep up the great work

• Member ID:  3,838

I am lucky as my local pet shop where I have bought birds from is owned by a bird breeder.

Can we name the bad shops with out getting in to to much trouble legally , I am a member of a fishing site as well and we can take a photo of the building showing the name but can't say who they are .

That way we can all keep clear of those shops.

Ross

NO... unfortunately not. We can get into a lot of trouble if we start naming places etc... If members who live near you want this information, feel free to do this via PM, but publicly naming/photo's of them is not permitted. Sorry.

• Member ID:  5,489
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144
  • Achievement Points:  950
  • Birthday:  12/12/1958

No problem was just a thought as I hate supporting anybody that does the wrong thing to animaks.

Ross

No problem was just a thought as I hate supporting anybody that does the wrong thing to animaks.

Ross

Me too!!! I personally don't support those places I know doesn't treat their animals well... and the members I know who live near me don't also...

• Member ID:  5,493
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  10
  • Birthday:  18/12/1990

well .... how many back rooms have you guys seen ..... if they are so bad and deceased birds have been there for days why are these buisnesses still open ??? and why hasnt someone stopped them ? RSPCA has the authority and the protocols to...

the back rooms i have seen are for either quarrantining sick birds, or birds that have just come in. and i apologise for having an opinion...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion Reneeb........just as everyone has experiences to share that will vary. ............the fact remains we cannot generalise about anything.

well i have worked in pet shops too ... and back rooms are a good thing... in all cases they are for quarrantining and are in the best interest of the bird and customer... and of course as all bird breeders should know... birds often do not show they are sick until too late................ although ... rediculous counts of scaly face and or lice is un-scrupulus and unforgivable.... RSPCA officers need to re think their protocol and do the regular checks they promise....

well .... how many back rooms have you guys seen ..... if they are so bad and deceased birds have been there for days why are these buisnesses still open ??? and why hasnt someone stopped them ? RSPCA has the authority and the protocols to...

the back rooms i have seen are for either quarrantining sick birds, or birds that have just come in. and i apologise for having an opinion...

No one is having a go at you for having an opinion... it's just that in your first post you stated that 'in all cases' back rooms are used for quarantining etc... Unless you have seen ALL back rooms of all petshops, you can't really say that. You might have been better to word your statement differently. I'm glad the ones near you are used for good.

As to the bad ones we have seen. Many members here do complain about them, and rarely things get done. RSPCA may have the protocol and authority, but this doesn't mean it will happen. Sometimes, things do change, and improvements do happen, but not as much as we'd like...

Edited by maesie

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

95% of pet shops are run by people with no pet knowledge what so ever. They will do anything to get a sale, even if they have to lie (which they quite often do)

Their are far better alternatives to pet shops, which is why I never go to them.

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

look i work at a pet shop and the bird part and we do not quarantining but we have a good look at the birds wan thay are baring in but if we see a sick bird we put it at the back and give it wat it needs and if we do not no what it is we get the vet to look at tham

2 members of my club work there

and he has had birds for over 40 years

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

one in a hundred.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Playing Devils Advocate here..... How many people get into breeding budgies with NO experience whatsoever? Having been in animals of almost every description since I could breath I can say that there are good and bad examples in every animal industry from birds to dogs to cattle. There are good budgies breeders and really crappy ones whose birds die regularly, who keep their birds in terrible conditions and think that's just fine or just don't know the difference. The same happens in dog breeding - we all slam pet shops but I can list a few registered dog breeders whose dogs must think they were born to some kind of ***!!! ...... (sigh)......the f-ing auto censor gets me every time....... "firey pits of ***" is what I mean here.

It take all sorts and I'll support those pet shops who sell healthy happy animals run by people that care for their animals and their customers so that these guys survive to set the example and avoid those that don't, just as I'll avoid ever buying budgies from a breeder who I know has crappy conditions or whose birds I don't think are well cared for.

Edited by nubbly5

There is an old saying.........bad news travels faster than good news

So, the way I see it...the publics perception of the bad examples of petshops will result in less feet walking in the door.

We support the good ones and the bad ones will either learn something or lose business. I have somewhere educational info I printed up fo0r the benefit of petshops who seem to know surprisingly little at times at the habits of birds and thus their housing and feeding of birds leaves a lot to be desired. I leave this info at shops at times when I have it and am in certain pet shop locations. I think I would rather try and educate the owners than just bag them.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Playing Devils Advocate here..... How many people get into breeding budgies with NO experience whatsoever? Having been in animals of almost every description since I could breath I can say that there are good and bad examples in every animal industry from birds to dogs to cattle. There are good budgies breeders and really crappy ones whose birds die regularly, who keep their birds in terrible conditions and think that's just fine or just don't know the difference. The same happens in dog breeding - we all slam pet shops but I can list a few registered dog breeders whose dogs must think they were born to some kind of ***!!! ...... (sigh)......the f-ing auto censor gets me every time....... "firey pits of ***" is what I mean here.

It take all sorts and I'll support those pet shops who sell healthy happy animals run by people that care for their animals and their customers so that these guys survive to set the example and avoid those that don't, just as I'll avoid ever buying budgies from a breeder who I know has crappy conditions or whose birds I don't think are well cared for.

So true Nubbly & there would be members on this forum,who would fall in to this catagree.They think by putting to birds together & they call themselves breeders,I see it quite often,in my job on Mondays,as the auctioneer for feathers & fur & at times I have to say to these people,I can't sell this animal, it is not well.

They look at you,as if you would't know what your talking about & give all the exqueses under the sun. :)

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,449
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  987
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  5,965

I am very thankful to have a good pet shop although there are some terrible ones in town there is this one that I trust. In fact I am hopeing to do a bit of work there. I have not seen the back room, but the animals are happy and healthy and the place is clean. I am very thankful for this little shop