• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to this very interesting forum, so please be gentle with me...:)

I've had budgies for over 20 years, always a pair or three at most. My first pair lived long, the male 12 years and the female 14. The pair I currently have, are about 6 year old and never been ill in any way.

Yesterday I have found signs of mice in a cupboard, and wanting to try and nip the problem in the bud I'm considering those plug-in devices that emit ultrasound in the region of 30,000 to 60,000 Hz. The information on the products I've seen and on the net say that these sounds do not affect other pets such as cats and dogs, but there is no mention of small birds.

Are these devices safe to use around budgies? Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Q :)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Many of our members have dealt with mice and rats and you might want to scroll through the Pest Control forum for different solutions. As for your question, I would assume it would not bother them if it is a frequency they can't pick up but I can't be sure. I am sure someone with more experience in this will answer your question. Welcome.

• Member ID:  4,736
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  20

Many of our members have dealt with mice and rats and you might want to scroll through the Pest Control forum for different solutions. As for your question, I would assume it would not bother them if it is a frequency they can't pick up but I can't be sure. I am sure someone with more experience in this will answer your question. Welcome.

Thank you Elly, I shall search this sub forum then. :)

Edited by Elly
spelling

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I know a member who bought one of those devices for the same reasons you did. She was most annoyed that it did nothing to rid them of the mice.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

I had one, not sure if it got rid of the mice but when I turned it on Harley would throw himself around the cage and scream untill i turned it off so only used it for about 3 mins in total before getting rid of it.

I think birds can hear in that range. These devices in my opinion seem to upset the budgies and they lay clear eggs presumably because the constant noise disrupts them from breeding. We do not know how all the electromagnetic radiation that we are putting into the atmosphere is really affecting us either. There has been a notable increase in the number of brain tumours diagnosed in young people with the increased use of mobile phones. The answer is that no one really knows if these devices that emit electromagnetic radiation and sound waves are truly safe, and the answer is probably not. Everything has a some kind of side effect. The side effect may be acceptable risk or it might not.

When I used one of these electromagnetic devices a couple of years ago to repel the mice for 3 months, the budgies didn't breed and I coincidentally got sick with some bizarre illness that the Dr was stumped on. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. It could have just been some random undiagnosed microbe infection since the Dr only tested for common illnesses, but, coincidentally it all went back to normal about a week after I turned it off.