Erin

Black Cats Worst For Allergy Sufferers?

I heard a new one last night....the colour of a cat is correlated with their impact on the respiratory systems of allergy sufferers. Black is the worst, followed by brown/grey, then orange.

I was offered a black kitten, am myself slightly allergic to cats, and then was told this.

I told them I didn't believe a word of it, that it was folklore/urban myth then I said I would do some research and get back to them...

i don't beleve that, those who are allergic to cats and not dogs are allergic to the salvia of the cat not the color or the dander.

i don't beleve that, those who are allergic to cats and not dogs are allergic to the salvia of the cat not the color or the dander.

Interesting....what about those who are allergic to both cats and dogs, dander I guess, eh? which would still have nothing to do with the colour.

exactly, I would say dander is easier to see on black fur just like hair and dandruff and that is why that myth could have been started.

It's possible that the theory was thought up by someone who met cats of different BREEDS who also happened t be different colours. There is certainly a difference between breeds as far as allergies go, however between different coloured moggies I would find it doubtful

I have been researching online, and there was one study which linked colour to level of allergens, however another (at least one) that disputed it. Also, anecdotally, I have been reading through a ton of individuals saying different things about colour...the upshot of which is - It's different for everybody!

Also, neutered cats supposedly produce less allergens, and ones who are obsessive groomers have more saliva on their fur, aka more of a reaction for allergy sufferers.

I guess someone in the U.S. is selling allergy-free cats now for 10,000 US dollars, too :D

I'm still thinking I want that little black kitten!

There are cats that are much less problematic for allergy sufferers, they are the Cornish Rex and the Devon Rex.

Some people are allergic to the dander and some to the fur so it just depends what causes your allergy. If you really want a kitten why don't you visit a rex breeder and see whether you end up with a reaction, much better than taking on a cat which may cause you problems and have to be rehomed :D

There are the Sphinx and Rex types cats that have been around for a long time and are for those who suffer from cat allergies and it is true those who have allergies to cats don't have allergies to them. I am sure you can do a google on them.

Also if the cost is a problem talk to the breeders associations and check out the cat forums as often there are rescue groups which just cater to specific breeds, often the cats are lovely :D

I know I had talked to someone about these type of cats they are very expensive and a lot of daily maintaince on their skin...too much work for me personally. I don't think you would see these types of cats in rescue personally for the cost that they are if they are not wanted I believe they are contracted to bring them right back to the breeder, they are not a dime a dozen, I have never seen one in person yet.

Are you talking about sphynx or rex Elly? Sphynx are rare and yes they are expensive and do require lots of maintenance but Rex breeds are relatively common and do come up in rescue, often through breeders who have taken them back after their elderly owner has died and such. I have even seen them in pet shops :D

Probably more the Sphinx, the Rex are the curly coated ones correct I believe, I didn't do my googling for the day lol, trying to get the kids in bed now.

Probably more the Sphinx, the Rex are the curly coated ones correct I believe, I didn't do my googling for the day lol, trying to get the kids in bed now.

yes, you are right :D

Sphinx - furless

sphynx.jpg

Rex - curly fur

cornish-rex3.jpg

Edited by birdluv
added photos

For me personaly we use to have a black and white cat that I could not go near however the tabby and the grey we had after him I never had an issue, I now have a white with tabby spots and a ginger and again don't have an issue unless they are molting so maybe I grew out of it. :D

Hey all:

Interesting replies. I live in Northern Ontario...so not much chance of getting one of these....part of the appeal for me was offering a couple of cats from the pound a home. There's another adult "cow" cat I am looking at, whom I spent some time with and he doesn't trigger any allergies. I think there are measures one can take to minimize, e.g. wipes, keeping him out of your bed, etc. Angelicvampyre you have just contributed to my conclusion that it depends on both the cat and the person, and one cannot generalize according to hair colour for everyone, although there may be something to it.

I am highly allergic- being in a cat household would set me off yep I could tell you whether a house had a cat within 10 minutes lol!! (sneezing, itching, red marks, swollen throat/hard to breath, watering/swollen eyes, etc etc you know the story)

Mum fell in love with a white kitten at the petshop and we got it and dealt with the allergies, within 2 weeks I was okay with it but still allergic to all other cats.

(used to wash it a bit- not sure if that had any effect on it?)

You can get used to some allergies, as the pie suggested.

Personally I think rex and sphynx cats are ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder SW :(

You can also wipe down your cat daily, I know people do that with a damp wash cloth if you get them as a kitten and start it early they do get used to it. :D.

So....I compromised. I got a smooth coated short haired brown tabby cat, whom I plan to - as Elly suggested - wipe down if it gets to be a problem. I spent quite a bit of time wiht him last night and got a few sniffles, but actually it wasn't bad. And he is such as sweetie! puts his paws up to touch my face and loves to be held. I am in love! Thanks all for your input...

CatBronteSep08.jpg

I personally feel it goes on type of fur. I have 4 :D Cats :what: One long haired part (Kaz think burman I thought ragdoll) Cat who's black and extra curly and fluffy *midnight*, we have her kitten who is now 3, but she's double coated and seal pointed with blue eyes *tipsy*, we have my grampy's inheritated cat who's a white long haired boy, who's not as fluffy as the black long haired girl *Vronsky* and last but not least my sisters Short haired black cat *delilah*... I'm allergic to the Midnight and Tipsy (which I beleive is based on fur type) and yet totally fine with Vronsky (different fur to her) and Delilah.

Double coated cats and frizzy curly long haired cats set me off the worst, but fine haired cats not at all most times

Congrats on your new kitty, he's gorgeous!

I personally feel it goes on type of fur.

Congrats on your new kitty, he's gorgeous!

I agree with you, I think there's something to that.

Thanks! He has an outstanding personality, too!

So....I compromised. I got a smooth coated short haired brown tabby cat, whom I plan to - as Elly suggested - wipe down if it gets to be a problem. I spent quite a bit of time wiht him last night and got a few sniffles, but actually it wasn't bad. And he is such as sweetie! puts his paws up to touch my face and loves to be held. I am in love! Thanks all for your input...

CatBronteSep08.jpg

What a handsome boy, he looks exactly like a cat my mother in law had named Puss, she lived to be 18 yrs old.

Thanks, Elly...I hope he lives as long as that! Now I'm going to have to come up with the perfect name for him, which people say is best to approach by watching him for awhile until he "tells" me what his name is!

Edited by Erin

I am sure you will find the perfect name :doh:, our 1 cat is 17y

Congrats on your new kitty, he is a real cutie :P