Sign in to follow this  
lil miss

My Birds Are Fighting

I had Muffin, Chirper and Abbie all in the same cage and they started fighting, with Chirper being the instigator. (well not fighting, but squabbling and territorial, possessive etc). So I took her out and put her in a separte cage. It fixed the problem for a couple of weeks but now Abbie is having a go at Muffin. I don't have any other cages or I would separate them too. I don't understand why they are doing it. They have plenty of perch space, they have 2 feeding containers, plenty of toys, so there is really no need to be like this.

Can anyone tell me why they are doing this and will it stop? If not how can I fix it?

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but I figured it was kind of relevant.

Thanks

Karli

Edited by KAZ

Are they all cocks/hens?

Can you post a picture of your cage and setup ?

Are they all cocks/hens?

in the one cage i have just hens. my cock is in a separte cage

Are they all cocks/hens?

in the one cage i have just hens. my cock is in a separte cage

is it your hens fighting, because hens are naturaly bossy and pushy and dont get on as longs as cocks

As Kaz said a picture of and dimensions of your set up is necessary to help figure out what is going on. I personally sounds like a space issue or possible possession over a certain toy such a a reflective one? mirror, bell etc... if you have anything like that take it out.

when is the last time you rearranged the cage? that also helps alot

make sure your birds are having cage cover time of at least 10-12 hours a day if they already do you can throw in a couple extra hours for a week and that will throw them out of this stage possibily.

I agree, a picture of your setup will help lots.

Also, are they really fighting, or more bossing each other around. It is quite normal for hens to be quite bossy at times.

I agree, a picture of your setup will help lots.

Also, are they really fighting, or more bossing each other around. It is quite normal for hens to be quite bossy at times.

Am I best to have 4 or 5 little perches about 15cm long or have 2 long perches that go across the length of the cage?

I guess they are only squabbling. Abbie gets there and goes crook if Muffin tries to get near the top perch. Any where near it and they yell at each other. I have 2 sets of bells and Muffin can't go near either of them if Abbie has anything to do with it. The seed dish is the same too. I have one big one, and one little one, and they both fight for the big one (of course). When I put millet and lucerne in, they squabble over who has the biggest piece. They're just like little kids!

Their cage has 2 long perches, 2 feed dishes, 2 sets of bells and a swing. Its probably approx 55cm long, 40cm wide and 50-60cm tall. (sorry I am at work and dont have access to the net at home)

I would cut your long perches to fit across the 40cm width of the cage. Place both perches at the same height at opposite ends of the cage so there is lots of room in between.

If one budgie is taking power over feed dishes, perches and toys etc. just change the cage completely so its all different. give new toys, new looking food dishes (try the same size :wub: ) and give them some fresh natural branches and perches to chew.

I am quite lax with budgie squabbling - my theory is, if they are not drawing blood or causing stress, then there is no problem.

Please when you get time...post a picture of the cage and set up. Most squabbles are over simple things like space, feeding and perching areas. A picture shows a lot and everyone can help better then :P

You mentioned 2 sets of bells I would remove those as those are very commonly a cause of fights because they reflect, will await a picture of the set-up too :)

It could also be put down to the Pecking order :hap: