Testicular Cancer ?

Guest Cindy

Guest Cindy

About 19 months ago we had a male budgie that was fit and healthy and suddenly he seemed to get a lump under his tummy, I watched for a day or two, then he started to sit on the floor, but he appeared to be eating, (found out later that was an act of defence so other birds would not pick on him) then his vent got very clogged, we would wash and it would clog again, I took him to several vets, who treated him for some gastric problems, still he got worse. By this time he was isolated and when I would pick him up to administer his drops, I noticed he was all bones. Another Vet, many miles from us, washed him drained 50 ml of fluid out of the lump, said she could have drained twice that amount but he was stressed, and kept him overnight. Next morning she asked why i kept saying he was a male. By this time his cere had gone from a distinct blue to a very dark brown. So she did another blood test, and yes her suspicion was 100%. Poor Ted has testicle cancer. There were treatments but as he only weighed 1/2 what he should have, and treatment was risky, I let her put him to sleep. I could not let him suffer anymore.

But has anyone else heard of any other birds having this?

Sorry its a long post but did not know how to shorten it without losing the story

Cindy

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

When a male budgies cere turns from blue to brown that can be a sign of a testicular tumor. My vet and I have had conversations about it before. Those type of tumors are estrogen-producing tumors, and that is why the cere color changes. Unfortunately, they are a common tumor in budgies. :glare: I'm sorry your little budgie suffered. I know the decision to put him down was agonizing...

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Firstly, deep condolances for your loss. It was a brave, selfless decision, but you put your bird first. warm hugs to you.

Yes, I have heard of these tumours. My budgie is a sickly little guy, and showed all the symptoms, repeated moults, cere changing colour, weightloss etc. X-ray proved a negative result with the tumours, but yes, they are rather common. These tumours in such a tiny bird are usually inopperable, because the birds respiritory systom is so complext. The air sacs that they use to breather extend beyond their lungs, almost to the base of the tail, and into the beginings of their wings, so to cut away testicular tumours in most cases will cause bleeding into the airsacs, and ultimately, death. I believe the op has, very rarely been done successfully, but generally, success is extremely unlikely.

I am so sorry you lost your dear bird, but really, there was no cure for him. You brought things to a peaceful, calm, humane close for your friend.

Warmth and blessings,

Anne.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I had never heard of this but thanks for alerting me to it. I am very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to make the decision to put him to sleep. :wub:

• 14 years later...

• Member ID:  8,941
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  5

I have a budgie who was diagnosed with testicular cancer about 18 months ago. He has been having a hormone implant to shrink rather tumor every 6 months appr. His cere eventually turns bright blue again,when it starts to go brown again we go back to the vet. Today i had another budgie xrayed and vet found a mass that looks lounge it could be cancer as well. They gave him the hormone injection this time and will see how he is in 2 weeks and assess him again. It is very common in budgies apparently. 

I'm very sorry for the loss of your baby it would have been such a heartbreaking decision to make but you did the right thing not letting him suffer anymore. No doubt i will have to make this rescission one day which I'm dreading. 

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  9,004
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  22

My little budgie has recently lost the use of one of his legs. We took him to the vet and they think it is testicular cancer. His cere is bright blue though. He is only 2 1/2 years old and he is getting very weak. The vet has suggested the hormone implant, they think it will extend his life by around 12 months but he is such a small bird they also said the failure rate is high and he may pass during the anaesthesia. I was wondering if anyone who has tried the implant can give me feedback about what they have experienced. Thanks