• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  160
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  29/05/1969

We got a new budgie today.

We got this one from a breeder a few suburbs away from our house.

Have been told it's a male.

Will get some pics to share once he settles down a bit.

Currently have the cage covered on the top & 3 sides and have a window open near him.

He's already chirping at the minor birds.

Colour is mostly yellow with some black through him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

any of the crazy, mutant budgie stuff happening?

• Member ID:  4,593
  • Topic Count:  2

Not much so far.

He's running VERY fast along the bottom of his cage.

He was used to an avairy 6' x 4' x 6' into a 2' cage so he has to find the limits of the cage.

He also bites VERY hard and left an indent in my finger for 1/2 hour.

Looks like his name will be Ozzie (1 of the kids picked the name because of his colours), and not quite sure of his age yet.

Here's a couple of pics of "Ozzie", and yes he does twist himself inside out, and even tries to hide under his newspaper floor.

103_0960.jpg

103_0956.jpg

whats the cloth thing on the left in second picture :blink:

That's a swing made from material.

ohh

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Content Count:  23
  • Achievement Points:  135

Here's a couple of pics of "Ozzie", and yes he does twist himself inside out, and even tries to hide under his newspaper floor.

103_0960.jpg

103_0956.jpg

Ozzie is an older bird. From looking at his crown he's around a year or older. It may take him a little longer to become tame, especially if he's used to a flock that he's grown up with (his friends that he's missing very much and doesn't know why he's been taken away from them), and used to being in an aviary. Be gentle with him as he gets used to you. As I've told another poster, you know how you feel toward him. But, he doesn't know how you feel toward him. Show him by your actions. :yes:

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  675

We have all learn't by the experience that we had with "Angel" and will be enjoying the budgie scene again soon.

Getting rid of the cat then I see :) :)

Ozzie is a nice fella

Ozzie is an older bird. From looking at his crown he's around a year or older.

BUGGER!!!

The bloke from the Aviary told me he was only young, and that it was a male, but i though males had a blue nose.

If he is as old as you say i can understand what you mean by taking longer to tame.

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

Sorry Craig B, you fell into the same trap I did lol

Male recessive pieds keep a purple/pinky coloured cere throughout their whole life...I only wish I knew that when I got my budgie.

He's gorgeous though :)

(Spangle, Opaline, recessive pied?)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

all chicks have bar heads exept for albinos and lutinos things like that

can you take him back tell them you wanted a young bird ????? that you been told he was older

only he may not of lied as a young bird can be anywhere up to a year :wub:

Thanks for the comments.

We won't take him back as the kids love him and he's now part of the family.Just have to tame him a bit.

He still gets a little scared when i put my hand in the cage, but he does sit on my finger quiet happily.

The kids want me to let him out to have a fly around but i think he'll be a bugger to catch.

Also Ozzie LOVES looking at his reflection, so should i put a mirror in his cage for him, or will this have a downside when it comes to taming him?

• Member ID:  5,933
  • Content Count:  23
  • Achievement Points:  135

Thanks for the comments.

We won't take him back as the kids love him and he's now part of the family.Just have to tame him a bit.

He still gets a little scared when i put my hand in the cage, but he does sit on my finger quiet happily.

The kids want me to let him out to have a fly around but i think he'll be a bugger to catch.

Also Ozzie LOVES looking at his reflection, so should i put a mirror in his cage for him, or will this have a downside when it comes to taming him?

Good for you!!!! I was holding my breath that you might be tempted to take the little guy back.

Reward him with millet spray when he gets on your hand, along with kind words. You've come quite a bit down the road to have finger-tamed him. :wub: I don't think a mirror would distract him...........unless that's the only companionship he gets. If you keep up the daily routine of finger taming, rewarding with millet, talking to him with soft words and telling him he's "a good boy" and such, he'll continue to respond to that. He may not understand the words, but he'll understand your body language and tone of voice and will respond to that. Although, budgies can eventually be taught a connection between words and actions and objects.....just like a dog can. :wub:

If you let him out and he knows what millet spray is.........and that's the only time he gets it......while on your finger, he'll let you come up to him and take him back on your finger to take him back to his cage. If he does not want in at that time, and if you can watch him until he goes back into his cage, just leave him out and watch him. If you want him to go into the cage because you don't have the time to watch him, then ........close the curtains, turn out the light, etc. to make the room dark. He'll return to his cage for safety (keep it lit......with a small night light. You'll eventually need one of these to keep night frights down anyway.) A budgie shouldn't be allowed to roam outside ever without some supervision. They can get into so much trouble and find things you never knew existed before they chewed a hole in it or fell into it. If he's in a room you don't like, make it dark and light up the room where his cage is. He'll go there. These are just the things that have worked for me. Some others may have other answers.

Also, if you put his cage near to where you are the majority of time (say right next to where you are now if you spend a lot of time on your computer), he'll eventually join you. You can keep millet handy to reward him when he does. Then.............you're in trouble.......you're going to have him typing your messages, reading your books, drinking your tea, and eating your supper. :D All wonderful problems from being a budgie's friend.

EDIT: By The Way, if you want to further increase his comfort level with you at any time, make clucking sounds (putting your tongue against the back of your teeth and clucking), closing your eyes and opening them, and by squinting and winking at him. You'll see him return this behavior to you. Winking and closing your eyes is a budgie signal that your are comfortable with him, and most importantly are not threat to him. He'll wink back at you, and either get all fluffed up, stand one one foot, or sometimes start preening . Preening is another budgie signal that he has nothing against you. Try it. It works! :)

Edited by eve

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Thanks for the comments.

Good for you!!!! I was holding my breath that you might be tempted to take the little guy back.

Reward him with millet spray when he gets on your hand, along with kind words. You've come quite a bit down the road to have finger-tamed him. :wub: I don't think a mirror would distract him...........unless that's the only companionship he gets. If you keep up the daily routine of finger taming, rewarding with millet, talking to him with soft words and telling him he's "a good boy" and such, he'll continue to respond to that. He may not understand the words, but he'll understand your body language and tone of voice and will respond to that. Although, budgies can eventually be taught a connection between words and actions and objects.....just like a dog can. :D

If you let him out and he knows what millet spray is.........and that's the only time he gets it......while on your finger, he'll let you come up to him and take him back on your finger to take him back to his cage. If he does not want in at that time, and if you can watch him until he goes back into his cage, just leave him out and watch him. If you want him to go into the cage because you don't have the time to watch him, then ........close the curtains, turn out the light, etc. to make the room dark. He'll return to his cage for safety (keep it lit......with a small night light. You'll eventually need one of these to keep night frights down anyway.) A budgie shouldn't be allowed to roam outside ever without some supervision. They can get into so much trouble and find things you never knew existed before they chewed a hole in it or fell into it. If he's in a room you don't like, make it dark and light up the room where his cage is. He'll go there. These are just the things that have worked for me. Some others may have other answers.

Also, if you put his cage near to where you are the majority of time (say right next to where you are now if you spend a lot of time on your computer), he'll eventually join you. You can keep millet handy to reward him when he does. Then.............you're in trouble.......you're going to have him typing your messages, reading your books, drinking your tea, and eating your supper. :) All wonderful problems from being a budgie's friend.

EDIT: By The Way, if you want to further increase his comfort level with you at any time, make clucking sounds (putting your tongue against the back of your teeth and clucking), closing your eyes and opening them, and by squinting and winking at him. You'll see him return this behavior to you. Winking and closing your eyes is a budgie signal that your are comfortable with him, and most importantly are not threat to him. He'll wink back at you, and either get all fluffed up, stand one one foot, or sometimes start preening . Preening is another budgie signal that he has nothing against you. Try it. It works! :)

Great advice Eve :wub:

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973