It's funny though, she will sit on my finger but she won't take millet from me. Will keep trying though.

does she eat the millet when it is in the cage? eating food is a step because once they do that means they trust you, birds don't take food unless they feel comfortable.

umm, im not actually sure. I gave her some in a little shallow dish before I went to School and by the time I came home she had knocked it over so I have no idea.

She eats seed that I put in there. Quite a lot actually lol. So does that mean anything?

Edited by Vixen

you can tell if the millet has been eat because the seeds are gone, do you see that on the millet spray that you put in there?

Yeah I think there is some gone. I actually pulled some seeds off the stem and it looks like that she's eaten some. When I put my hand in there today she was all flighty again. Think im back to square one again *sigh*

You'll just have to be patient. You will get there, it just takes time...and when you do, you'll be glad you put in the effort. Good luck :D

okay, this may seem funny to you but when you are with in ear range sing, or talk to her she will get use to your voice - When you approach the cage keep the same tone, Nice and sweet like ...... Before you know it She will trust you. It takes time mate, Keep with it though. Cause at the end of the day the reward is priceless :D

I agree patience is the key

As the topic says, I am new. I have a new baby Budgie and I'm not quite sure what to call him yet. I have been reading up on different tips and tricks for training budgies.

My question is, how do you go about making him tame? I brought him home yesterday and he is still really jittery. Everytime I walk past his cage I say hello to him in a low tone. He does seem a little happier now, he's trilling a lot more than yesterday and he was having a good old conversation with himself lastnight aswell :) .

I saw that you shouldn't put mirrors in the cage with a lone budgie so I am going to attempt to take it out soon.

Any extra help will be appreciated :)

Here is a picture of him.

100_0888.jpg

When I first rescued my bird Molly I was told she had rickets too it's nothing to be worried about Molly is a very silly bird shes loves to rip things up and throw it around the cage as well as unclip feed containers and toys. Shes quite normal except for her feet but she does everything a normal budgie does so I wouldnt worry about it to much. By the way he/she is a great looking bird.

Yesterday was the time to clean out her cage. She was terrified of me grabbing her toys out of the cage to clean them. So I got Clinton to grab her and put her in a box while I did my thing. I went out the back and found an old stick which works perfect as a perch for her. I also got her a few new things like a Cuttlefish bone, a seed bell, a new swing with a bell on and another new toy which is like a babies toy.

After I finished cleaning out her cage I got Clinton to hold her while I clipped her wings. After doing that back in her cage she went. She tried to fly around because I am guessing she didn't know what the new things were. I also moved her next to where I spend most of time which is in front of my Computer. (I study Graphic Design so most of my stuff is Homework) She seems a lot happier here now. She's next to a window which is opened regularly and she calls out a lot more too. I gave her a leaf of lettuce last night and she gobbled right into that hehehe.

My only question's are at this time though:

1. Is it normal for budgies to poo a lot? I can't believe the amount of poo that is in the bottom of the cage now.

2. I noticed a day after bringing her home that her tail seems to "tick" like a second hand on a clock? Is that normal? It seems to be linked to her heartbeat.

First thing first, don't give her lettuce. It won't have hurt her, but it contains only water and gives her no nutrients. Go for silverbeet or box choy etc... The lettuce probably made her poo more. As long as her poos look normal, I wouldn't worry. Budgies do poo alot :D It's great you were able to clean out her cage. Changing things and toys around mean she wont get bored, and keeping her near you will also get her used to you and your voice.

That tail movement is called tail bobbing. If it is really noticeable it can indicate a sick or stressed bird. It is actually in time with their breathing. Their hearts beat at around 400bpm (beats per minute) too fast for us to tell apart.

Yeah it is really noticable. She seems happy enough but I will take her to the vet just in case. Thanks.

U was wondering if I was to get another tame Budgie for a friend for Lambchop would it make the other budgie "wild" again? She seems so lonely by herself. Whenever we bring Olive in she is always chatting to her and carrying on.

Im so proud of my little Lambchop. I gave her some Millet just now and she ate it from my hand! I let her out the cage all the time now aswell. When she gets stuck I will come over and put my hand in front of her and she will hop straight on.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside :P

Awwwww! Congratulations :P It's so nice when they trust you :D

Yeah it is. I'm so happy. She's not OVERLY friendly but she will sit on your finger or on your shoulder. Is it a good sign when she is sitting on my finger and starts to groom herself and carry on?

Also, how do I get her to eat more than just seed? I can't seem to get her to eat the vegies I put in her cage. She also picks and chooses when she wants to eat out of my hand aswell.

Yeah it is. I'm so happy. She's not OVERLY friendly but she will sit on your finger or on your shoulder. Is it a good sign when she is sitting on my finger and starts to groom herself and carry on?

Also, how do I get her to eat more than just seed? I can't seem to get her to eat the vegies I put in her cage. She also picks and chooses when she wants to eat out of my hand aswell.

You have a very good start :D . If she's grooming herself on your finger, that's great. It shows she is comfortable. As to getting her to eat her veggies, try presenting them differently. Hang them from her cage, chop them up, grate them etc... When you put the grated and chopped veggies in a bowl, sprinkle them with seed. She'll start to pick at it and then hopefully eat her veggies. She will eat them eventually, but it may take awhile. You'll just have to be prepared to waste a far bit, so maybe serve a little at a time. You can also try serving them in ther morning or around 3-4ish... this is when they usually eat so she may be a little more interested. Stick with it and you WILL be rewarded :D As to her eating out of your hand, go with what she is comfortable with and again, she'll do it more and more as she trusts you.