• Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

Sunnie's looks to have a wide band across the chest to me. Sunnie can we have a front on photo possibly?
As requested........the colour is now a little washed out due to the flash, but as Libby said, there is no banding or pattern, just soft blue.Adonisfront.jpg
They are all beautiful. I especially like Yoshi. :wub:
Thank you all for your comments :). Yoshi is the ratbag of the bunch, he just wouldnt sit still to have his picture taken!! Now I have to find a gf for him as I only have green clearwings, he is my only blue :mellow:

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Followers:  0

Well I have just spoken to the breeder of both Adonis and Aphrodite. I actually decided to call him, cause they are flirting in the holding cage and it dawned on me they could be related, so I wanted to check that, as I would like to pair them (theyre not related). Anyway, Libby was right, he is a white DF spangle with bad diffusion of colour. He has also just done a cull of his birds and invited me and a friend around for first option before he advertises them. I'm really excited to see his set up and birds. That is happening Sunday.........sooooooo I guess I might find myself a little poorer once again! LOL Be well worth it if he has other birds of the same calibre though :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Well I have just spoken to the breeder of both Adonis and Aphrodite. I actually decided to call him, cause they are flirting in the holding cage and it dawned on me they could be related, so I wanted to check that, as I would like to pair them (theyre not related). Anyway, Libby was right, he is a white DF spangle with bad diffusion of colour. He has also just done a cull of his birds and invited me and a friend around for first option before he advertises them. I'm really excited to see his set up and birds. That is happening Sunday.........sooooooo I guess I might find myself a little poorer once again! LOL Be well worth it if he has other birds of the same calibre though :D

How exciting :D To have both the answer and to have the option of more lovely birds just like him. Wonderful news.

Break open the piggybank :D

Guest george

Sunnie,what ever you do,dont mate him to a blue bird,grey only & a normal.

He is very heavyly subfused,& would'nt get anywere in a show.But will breed

you normal & spangles,To much subfusion to use opaline.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Can I ask why you shouldn't use an opaline when there is suffusion?

Guest throwback

Man!! What are breeders doing to the poor spangle?

As george said, pairing to grey may get rid of the suffusion but this much would suggest to me he has been pairing bad suffused DF spangles together.

Your not breeding for show, so it's up to you what you do. It doesn't matter. Put a cobalt opaline hen to him, or even better maybe a yellow face T2 cobalt opaline. I'd like to see the offspring. At least they would be pretty!

As for taking the piggy bank ???

Adonisfront.jpg

bester_df_spangle__g_nther_schreiber_131.jpg

But throwback this is a bird the breeder WASN'T keeping, which in itself probably means he wan't happy with him and didn't want to breed from him. I would be more worried if he was keeping birds with bad suffusion...

Guest throwback
But throwback this is a bird the breeder WASN'T keeping, which in itself probably means he wan't happy with him and didn't want to breed from him. I would be more worried if he was keeping birds with bad suffusion...

Suffusion is just suffusion of colour into the plumage that shouldn't be there. That's all! It's no biggie

If you know how to control it. It's just has so much blue that half this post was spent trying to work out what it is. Everything from DF pieds to clearwing to dilutes.

I would be more concerned about it's age and condition if you paid a good price for him.

We have spoken about spangles and you know my view on purity of variety. Being able to identify a variety to a show breeder is very important. But when people breed hybrids it make it a lot harder. This give us a loss of control and that leaves you in limbo. Hence my issue with the Melanistic Spangle.

I just have to keep in mind not every breeder shares this view.

In time the future of the breed will determine who was right!

Edited by throwback

I think can see what you are saying and it makes sense to me. All those bits and pieces mixed up together makes it hard to predict the outcome and means a lot of hard work and good money may result in chicks which look completely unlike what you wre expecting.

Is that about right?

Guest throwback
I think can see what you are saying and it makes sense to me. All those bits and pieces mixed up together makes it hard to predict the outcome and means a lot of hard work and good money may result in chicks which look completely unlike what you wre expecting.

Is that about right?

You've got it!!

That's SPOT ON!

Show breeders are control freaks! We try to predict every possible outcome.

Control is the Key to success for us!

Now if I can get it across to the spangle manglers out there!

I just hope he breeds well for you! Whatever you get ! :D

Throwback it sounds like that made your night :D It will be interesting to see what he is hiding but I have no plans to show breed at this stage so it doesn't really matter anyway. I would imagine the same goes for Sunnie at the moment, but he is startig to sound a little more serious than me :D

Hey just out of curiosity if that suffusion continued all the way across the body so that there was really no way to tell him from a clearwing he would look like a ripper clear wing wouldn't he? Do breeders do that sort of thing sometimes on the hush? Show a bird as one thing even though they know genetically that it is something else? Not condoning, just curious :D

Edited by melbournebudgies

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

I'm sorry throwback, I'm one of those manglers!! :D

My defence - Only with pet types!!! I love weird oddities who pop up in the nests, with the show birds I've tried my hand at I keep it as pure as possible, luckily I guess :D

I'm a sucker for the weird ones as well Libby, looking forward to trying to breed some more black feathers into my birds at the moment and to be honest at this stage I will have to take anything I can get as far as body type, etc if it happens to be lucky enough to have the feather 'faults' I need. BUT once I have some chicks from these birds I will then have to be very careful who I breed them with to try and bring back that colouration so there are times when it pays to stick to the script and times where it is worth experimenting.

It's been interesting reading more on this post! :) Apparently, he maybe split to cinnamon too and I will be breeding him with Aphrodite who is a cinnamonwing grey spangle, so hopefully I will get more cinny spangles? Fingers crossed :budgiedance:

And as for my piggy bank............my fiance is bringing his wallet teehee so I better be extra nice to him this weekend lol

And you are right MB, I am a loooooooong way from looking at showing birds, but I have to say, its really nice to have such nice types to look at and breed from. I will be putting a couple of birds in at our local club show in a few weeks time, but I think I am the only one in my class in the club, so winning wont be something to be gloating about, but it will be interesting to get criticism on the birds I choose to take. Adonis and Aphrodite wont be going though, hopefully, they will be making babies :D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hey just out of curiosity if that suffusion continued all the way across the body so that there was really no way to tell him from a clearwing he would look like a ripper clear wing wouldn't he? Do breeders do that sort of thing sometimes on the hush? Show a bird as one thing even though they know genetically that it is something else? Not condoning, just curious :)

All the components of the budgie that meets the standards in that particular type would have to be there or the judges would suss it out immediately. In saying this, there is quite often abudgie shown that crosses boundaries. We had some presented recently that we were asked to "judge" and then told why they did or didnt fit into the category we originally thought :budgiedance:

Edited by KAZ

Thanks Kaz, I figured it would have to look right. It's interesting to hear that they are testing you on it though :)

Guest george

Sunnie,if you are not breeding for show,I would not be paying show prices for budgies,Your$100

should get you 10 budgies.who ever breed that budgie,I doubt they are a show breeder,they have been back to the blue bottle to many times.But for the pet trade,keep it going,you could finish up with rainbow budgies. :)

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

pairing aphrodite to Adonis will give an outcome of mostly DF spangles B)

Well darn Lib........they are so smoochie with each other...

George, all the budgies in this thread are bred by fairly well known club/show breeders here in Adelaide. I have been fortunate enough in the past to get some very nice birds from a breeder through a friend for the dirt cheap price of $10. These birds were on auction and the price I paid for them was only $5 more than the price the last person to bid before me was willing to pay for them, and there were a lot more experienced people in the room than me. And I may not be interested in showing birds this week or next, or maybe even next year, but who knows where life takes you. I am still looking forward to my ongoing learning and having some beautiful birds to breed with and hopefully increase the size of the birds in my aviary. Thank you for your input though :hap:

(PS I havent paid $100 for a bird........yet and 4 out of 6 of these birds I actually only paid $20 for)

Edited by Sunnie