• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Pet rats and mice are different - they are pets, wild vermin are different whether there are Raight right people out there that dissagree, that is fine that is your free will, However I am sure you haven't seen first hand what they do to people, I friend of mine little one almost had it's finger amputated (sp) because a rat decided I child was a good meal at night, this child got very sick ......

They spread dieases (sp again) they don't affect our wildlife however ( in rural & semi rural areas ) thoses people that use rat sack and other poision eatable baits ( that take a while to affect the vermin ) A baited mouse . rat running in fields, paddock get picked up by our bird wild life Owls, and etc, who then feed this to their young, and then there is a whole nest wiped out because that mouse / rat was baited I love animals espcially wildlife Cocky's loris, Falcons Hawlks eagles etc they are beautiful, for me to lay a bait affects that mouse and rat in a long painfull death and then may kill off a whole nest of bird ( i would hate for that to happen to our almost extinct breeds)

THis is my views, I'd rather kill that vermin with a trap ..... ( this is for my house only if they are out side, they aren't bothering me so they can run free and be merry ..... But if they are in here, they betta WATCH OUT !!!! :P

I have to agree...I would do anything before using poisons.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Whilst on this topic, I have the termite dudes here and they are treating the place for the little white ants . and want to do mice as well, told them no probs, just don't use bait, they looked at me funny and I explained the whole thing to them , They kinda re thought it and now have to come with another solution, which would be hard, as the chicken farm behind me would be hording those yucky vermin .....

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

The chook farm probably already has bait all over the place Neat :P

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Nope (for the same reasons then their chickens get sick and die ( they are red rooster chickens ) hahah

so I don't eat red rooster anymore) ......they shoot ..... Foxes, Rabbits and rats.

I am putting a call into the council as the pest dudes explained to me that the vermin like the chook poo....

I didn't know that ..

Edited by Neat

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

I would use Timms traps. They are humane traps that instantly kill the animal. Usually by breaking the neck, so are very quick. Especially if they hit the head then it is instant. They make them for possums here, I don't know if they are in Australia, but I'm sure they would make rat ones. I got a mouse trap called "The better mouse trap" by Intruder inc. I think they do rat size ones. They are snap traps and kill mice instantly. I know I witnessed it. I heard it go and went to inspect it to make sure the mouse was dead. No movements whatsoever, so it would have severed the spinal cord. Be very careful where you set them of cause. I caught a sparrow by accident :lol:. However it lived with no ill effects whatsoever and flew away instantly :rolleyes:. I was confused but happy nonetheless and was glad to learn my lesson without a needless death.

I would say the snap traps are the most humane way to go, because if it gets them properly (the plastic ones are better than the wooden ones) it causes instant death.

Rats have a very unpleasant way of killing and eating their prey. I had a whole litter of baby bunnies killed and eaten like hollowed out, so that when I looked in the nest they looked normal, until I went to pick them up and found there was no bottom to them. They were just a shell.

Wild versions of animals are way different to their domestic counterpart. Domestic animals have been bred and chosen for their docility and friendliness. Pet rats are the absolute goo monsters and very smart. Wild rats are the ultimate predator, fast, lethal and even smarter. Pet dogs are great loyal companions, wild wolves are shy and dangerous (the european ones especially). pet cats can be big piles of purring fur, wild ones (trust me we've had the lecture) can be even more dangerous than dogs, sharp at all ends and able to use your body to climb up to your head. Pet mice are little fluffballs of cute, wild mice hate you and will do anything to get away (even part wild ones, wild mice got in with mine, bred with them and made babies, these babies were then named pitbull and rottweiler can you guess why? (sorry to rottweiler owners I know these dogs aren't as aggressive as their reputation, but I was 10 years old at the time)) I think this is the case with all animals especially carnivores. Herbivores don't really like eating you that much, although deer can be pretty mean at times, mind you they haven't been domesticated for long and even these ones are way more docile, having had an antler almost in my eye I speak from experience.

Yes rats and all other vermin do have rights and if you are found to be breaching these rights you can be punished by law. You must check all traps every 24 hours. Any animals found to be suffering can lead to consequences. If I'm away for longer than a day I will not set my traps.

Edited by Sailorwolf
Guest throwback

Rats have a very unpleasant way of killing and eating their prey. I had a whole litter of baby bunnies killed and eaten like hollowed out, so that when I looked in the nest they looked normal, until I went to pick them up and found there was no bottom to them. They were just a shell.

;):P :fear AAAARRRRRR

Come on sailorwolf!! You will give me nightmares!!

Edited by throwback

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

I have just found the rat...assuming there is only one which I dont. They seem to have a nest under the shed floor of the shed/room we walk through to get into my aviaries. There were tunnels freshly dug up in the aviary floor this morning and rat sized at that. My husband kept saying it was mice, but I knew better. So I put Cricket ( my cavalier and major rat killer ) on a leash and showed her the holes. She dug and drove a rat out. It climbed up the wall behind some timber, effectively trapping itself between some timber and the metal wall of the shed. I was trying to p[ush it back down the crevice to where Cricket could get to it. The only thing that would fit in the crack was a pair of scissors I had at hand. The rat ended up stabbed here and there but dropped back down its hole well and truly alive and vanished.

Next plan is maybe to flush the hole with water and have the dog handy.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

:huh: i hope you hit something important with those scissors and it dies from its wounds.

Is the bird room dog safe? Maybe your ratter needs to spend a night or two in there...

:hap: i hope you hit something important with those scissors and it dies from its wounds.

He is crippled but alive Liv :huh: My concern is others maybe under there.

I am about to catch ALL aviary birds and rehouse them elsewhere for the time being ( I have two empty metal aviaries I can use ) Then I will start to dig up the tunnels under the storage room where they seem to be, and let the dogs try and catch them.

• Member ID:  4,183
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  401
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,015
  • Birthday:  10/09/1952
  • Device:  Macintosh

:D i hope you hit something important with those scissors and it dies from its wounds.

He is crippled but alive Liv ;) My concern is others maybe under there.

I am about to catch ALL aviary birds and rehouse them elsewhere for the time being ( I have two empty metal aviaries I can use ) Then I will start to dig up the tunnels under the storage room where they seem to be, and let the dogs try and catch them.

Getting closer to elimination now Kaz.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

:D i hope you hit something important with those scissors and it dies from its wounds.

He is crippled but alive Liv ;) My concern is others maybe under there.

Pity your dog didn't catch it ....

Go for it! Show no mercy ... DEATH to the BUDGIE KILLERS!

• Member ID:  4,183
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  401
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,015
  • Birthday:  10/09/1952
  • Device:  Macintosh

DEATH to the BUDGIE KILLERS!

I love it. ;)

name='renee' post='237878' date='Jun 18 2008, 14:57']Pity your dog didn't catch it ....Go for it! Show no mercy ... DEATH to the BUDGIE KILLERS!
I have caught every bird in my aviary and put them in new temporary accomodations. We had the dogs in the aviary and they have dug to China but the rats or rat has gone further underground. I will set traps in there for the night. Edited by KAZ

Is the bird room dog safe? Maybe your ratter needs to spend a night or two in there...

The birdroom has breeder cages in it BUT as well as being ratters the dogs would kill any birds they could get at too, so I wont keep them in the birdroom.

Well that probably ain't a good idea then :D My dog won't eat anything, heck she's a farm dog and her best friends a rabbit...go figure. ;)

The birdroom has breeder cages in it BUT as well as being ratters the dogs would kill any birds they could get at too, so I wont keep them in the birdroom.

Well that probably ain't a good idea then :D My dog won't eat anything, heck she's a farm dog and her best friends a rabbit...go figure. :D

;):D

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

name='renee' post='237878' date='Jun 18 2008, 14:57']Pity your dog didn't catch it ....Go for it! Show no mercy ... DEATH to the BUDGIE KILLERS!
I have caught every bird in my aviary and put them in new temporary accomodations. We had the dogs in the aviary and they have dug to China but the rats or rat has gone further underground. I will set traps in there for the night.

with that dog smell in there hopefully that will deter them, good luck Kaz. Anything is a nuisance if it is killing something that you love rats to cats to dogs to mice etc...

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

ugh.... those dirty rats ;)

• Member ID:  2,071
  • Topic Count:  149
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,880
  • Birthday:  28/03/1961

When I found a snake had made a home under my aviary someone suggested I attach a hose from the car exhaust down into their burrow. I didnt end up doing but it would be effective with rats I would imagine!!!

And they'd just go sleep and not wake up too, the only problem would be dead rat smell :ewwww: :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

When I found a snake had made a home under my aviary someone suggested I attach a hose from the car exhaust down into their burrow. I didnt end up doing but it would be effective with rats I would imagine!!!

Thats a great idea!! Once the car is turned off the fumes will clear and the hole can be filled in leaving the dead rat/s burried

Just got to make sure the rat hasn't got any escape routs, especially ones that leed into other aviarys as the fumes could vent though and harm the birds.

:budgiedance:

Edited by **Liv**

Actually on a similiar note you could see if you can get one of the tablets that they use to fumigate rabbit burrows. Seal all the entrances except one and through the tablet in and seal the last entrance. Same deal with making sure the birds are out of the way though and I'm not sure about residue with those :budgiedance:

Only thing is there are birds nearby...so might kill them too.

I set traps in my now empty aviary last night, but no rats caught. The rats had instead dug a new tunnel into Kens aviary. Cricket ( my cavalier) was going mad down the back by a back wall of the aviary. I told Ken where she was sniffing and barking on the outside of the tin, and he started looking in the aviary on the other side. A very large rat was hiding in the corner behind a storage container and shot out and tried to leave by the new tunnel. Ken managed to kill it. Next another large rat came out too and also it was killed. A smaller one got away. So that was three rats in Kens aviary and if Cricket hadnt discovered them and told us, they would have killed birds in Ken's avairy during the night.

I am assuming we have killed the parents and there must be a litter of half grown youngsters still to find. I believe they have 11-13 babies ?

These are the issues of soil floor aviaries. :P

Edited by KAZ