• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

What do you do with them after you catch them Kaz? I have thought about using one of those but then I have a bunch of live critters to deal with!

My husband takes them for a country drive ;)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

The cement doesn't only block them up, it dehydrates them which is also one of the effects of 'ratsac' too. It would be about the same result as regular rat poison, I wouldn't expect much difference in the time it took for them to die. Also the cement is acidic, it would actually be a rather quick death I think you would find. It sounds gruesome when I lay out all the facts but if I layed out all the fact of rat poison they'd be pretty similiar.

• Member ID:  2,384
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,172
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  7,460
  • Birthday:  25/08/1981

My mum uses the concrete/flour mix, it actually works then she leaves little dishes of water around for them!. Not any more cruel that ratsac doesnt take any longer either.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

I am with the kill'em traps, they are verimin !!!

I'd rather kill the mice & Rats then them kill my animals

Baits are are wrong too as the wild falcons, hawlks and egales catch the mice & rats ( that have taken the poison)

and then our wildlife dies too ....

Setting them (vermin) free away from home is no good either as they come back due to their sent

Others kill roos and bunnies cause they are over populated and killing our flora so

I am against animal cruelty but if it is to save another I am for it

Sorry if you disagree but that is me

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Year_of_the_Rat_sticker.jpg

:hap:

Yes, they do have rights! The rats that live out in the wild and don't kill our native wildlife (which most do though ;) ) are free to live in peace. But the rats (and mice) that come into our land and kill our pets do not have the same rights! Getting rid of these rats is only self defence - not like we go hunting for them, just for kicks and entertainment. if that makes sence??

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Just my two cents on this…I’m for any way of preventing cruelty to anything where at all possible. But having said that, rats & mice [wild ones] have been pitting their wits with humanity from the beginning of time & we still haven’t beaten them & we have thrown just about everything we can at them. If we stop the war, it will be us that soon go under, as I’m sure they wont give us one moment’s thought as they take over.

I’m all for morality, kindness & compassion, but then there’s the real world.

Guest throwback
Just my two cents on this…I'm for any way of preventing cruelty to anything where at all possible. But having said that, rats & mice [wild ones] have been pitting their wits with humanity from the beginning of time & we still haven't beaten them & we have thrown just about everything we can at them. If we stop the war, it will be us that soon go under, as I'm sure they wont give us one moment's thought as they take over.

I'm all for morality, kindness & compassion, but then there's the real world.

I posted the Rats have rights as a joke, but people are running with it.

Although people who keep rats my feel strongly about it, and is probably where the sign came from.

Trouble is Norm the Rats have better weapons!!

As with all War there are no winners!!

RAT RELATED HEALTH HAZARDS & DISEASES

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

Murine Typhus: Murine typhus (caused by infection with R. typhi) occurs worldwide and is transmitted to humans by rat fleas. Flea-infested rats can be found throughout the year in humid tropical environments, but in temperate regions are most common during the warm summer months. Travelers who visit in rat-infested buildings and homes, especially in harbor or riverine environments, can be at risk for exposure to the agent of murine typhus.

Rat-bite fever (RBF): Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a systemic bacterial illness caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis that can be acquired through the bite or scratch of a rodent or the ingestion of food or water contaminated with rat feces.

Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium: As its name suggests, it causes a typhoid-like disease in mice. In humans S. Typhimurium does not cause as severe disease as S. Typhi, and is not normally fatal. The disease is characterized by diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea, and generally lasts up to 7 days. Unfortunately, in immunocompromized people, that is the elderly, young, or people with depressed immune systems, Salmonella infections are often fatal if they are not treated with antibiotics.

Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans it causes a wide range of symptoms, and some infected persons may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of leptospirosis include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, and vomiting, and may include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. If the disease is not treated, the patient could develop kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, and respiratory distress. In rare cases death occurs. Eosinophilic Meningitis: Eosinophilic meningitis is an infection of the brain occurring in association with an increase in the number of eosinophils, white blood cells that are associated with infection with worms that penetrate into the body. The organism most commonly causing eosinophilic meningitis is a rat lung worm called angiostrongylus cantonensis.

WarRat.jpg?t=1213573360

Edited by throwback

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

I have no sympathy for any rat that takes a thousand dollars worth of budgies as a snack through the night. I understand the pet rat keepers and I actually like the pet rats as my kids used to have them. BUT a feral rat can cause such destruction it, in turn, must be got rid of. My husband is the softie and likes to save them and rehome them, but if I have my way I drop the trap with the rat in my fishpond and drown the beggar.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I have no sympathy for any rat that takes a thousand dollars wth of budgies as a snack through the night. I understand the pet rat keepers and I actually like the pet rats as my kids used to have them. BUT a feral rat can cause such destruction it, in turn, must be got rid of. My husband is the softie and likes to save them and rehome them, but if I have my way I drop the trap with the rat in my fishpond and drown the beggar.

I agree. I used to have a lovely affectionate pet rat, Tempalton, who got killed one night by a feral rat who got into his cage :(

Feral rats have no place here!! I would not let your hubby free him either - it will just go an eat Koockaburra eggs or other wildlife instead :sad:

Edited by **Liv**
Guest throwback

Really to be fair dinkum!

It is the bird keepers responsibility to ensure the safety and security of the birds.

Not up to the Rat to think " I can't eat these budgies! There show budgies!"

The Rats are just being Rats! feral or not.

As someone working in the area of land management I have no issue with the culling of feral animals, I have a pet rat and a pet cat but would quite happily have someone go out and kill ferals of both those sspecies, they need to go there is no doubt about it.

I think that PETA sign would have come from the use of lab rats, which I also don't agree with :(

Of course TB, we are just discussing the ethics of killingone animal to save another, it's all very deep :sad:

Edited by melbournebudgies
Guest throwback

It all depends where you are!

Like the farmers that want to shot the wild (feral) birds that desecrate there crops year after year! Budgies included!

It's all about one's perspective!

monniksparkieten-hipster.jpg

It's not a feral bird unless it is exotic, the farmers might call them pests but they aren't feral. My take is that if you choose to go into any business you go in with the knowledge of the risks that business takes, including farming. Parrots are part of the australian environment and farmers must accept that (and believe me I know that's not easy, I have to deal with farmers so I understand what they face).

Guest throwback
It's not a feral bird unless it is exotic, the farmers might call them pests but they aren't feral. My take is that if you choose to go into any business you go in with the knowledge of the risks that business takes, including farming. Parrots are part of the australian environment and farmers must accept that (and believe me I know that's not easy, I have to deal with farmers so I understand what they face).

Exactly!!

As not all rats are feral, they all haven't escaped from domestic captivity to go feral.

5695.jpg

Native Mice and Rats describes the evolution and ecology of this much-neglected group of animals. It details the diversity of their reproductive biology, their dietary adaptations and social behaviour. The book also includes information on rodent parasites and diseases, and concludes by outlining the changes in distribution of the various species since the arrival of Europeans as well as current conservation programs.

My favorite animal of all time is the Greater Stick nest Rat, they are gorgeous and I've been lucky enough to see them in real life, truely beautiful animals :(

Not many of them left hey MB?

I'm a lic dingo controller and also get the chance to clean up feral cats/goats in the wild amazing how many cats you can get out of certain areas in a week!

No not many at all...

Dingoes are an interesting one. They are list as endangered but at the same time they are listed as a pest species which must be controlled. Which means that we legally have to conserve the species but at the same time we have to kill them :( Ahhh their's nothing like working in government :sad:

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I'm sorry you've lost birds like this, Kaz. It must have been just sickening to go outside and see that. What a horrible start to the day. Hopefully you have managed to block up his entrance and by the time he finds another route in (IF he is still around) hopefully your new aviary will be ready and he will be thwarted.

where abouts were the stick nest rats, were they on the mainland? ( i take it your in Vic?) I trapped something about 8 yrs ago I'm still trying to work out what it was(it was released-no pics). I would have said it was a Boodie but apparently they dont exist on the mainland here any more, I didnt find this out until yrs later. Wish I could recapture it and know for sure.

I think they dingo in its pure form is getting endangered, more so over east. Still getting alot of 'pure' ones here sent some DNA samples off a few weeks ago so should be interesting, although one dog was a huge brindle thing but not far from a station so who knows what it had in it.

The SNRs were in SA, at Scotia Earth Sanctuary back when it was still under the care of the cat man :lol: I believe they have released them in a few 'safe' areas now on some peninsulas but there aren't many around. If you trap anything again take some pics, I have just finsihed a degree with a major in Botany and one in Aquatic Biology but I had a major general Zoology component and I have a few friends that could just about tell you what any nativ animal you ever came across was so I can always pass it on to someone that will give you an answer.

The dingoes are a tough one aren't they, there are so many hybrid mongrels out there it makes it hard to do the right thing by the people or the animals. A real sorry mess if you ask me...

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I know I chatted on IM with you about this and you know my thoughts, very big hugs :lol:

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I have no sympathy for any rat that takes a thousand dollars worth of budgies as a snack through the night. I understand the pet rat keepers and I actually like the pet rats as my kids used to have them. BUT a feral rat can cause such destruction it, in turn, must be got rid of. My husband is the softie and likes to save them and rehome them, but if I have my way I drop the trap with the rat in my fishpond and drown the beggar.

I'm really shocked to hear about the rat attack Kaz and I'm sorry you had to put down so many promising chicks and dispose of your show budgies.

Thank you everyone for the posts about vermin prevention, especially the eucalyptus tip.

Despite my best efforts I still get the occasional mouse in the breeding room. I chuck everything at them: mouse/rat stations with green bait (2), rat poison and poison seed (sprinkled generously anywhere I've found mouse poo) and humane traps (3). Funnily enough I tend to spot a mouse when the rat station bait has all been eaten.

My cat is a super rat catcher and so far no vermin has penetrated my outside aviaries ...

Call me cruel but I don't care how long it takes them to die or how they do it so long as they don't harrass my budgies.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

I'm really shocked to hear about the rat attack Kaz and I'm sorry you had to put down so many promising chicks and dispose of your show budgies.

Thank you everyone for the posts about vermin prevention, especially the eucalyptus tip.

Despite my best efforts I still get the occasional mouse in the breeding room. I chuck everything at them: mouse/rat stations with green bait (2), rat poison and poison seed (sprinkled generously anywhere I've found mouse poo) and humane traps (3). Funnily enough I tend to spot a mouse when the rat station bait has all been eaten.

My cat is a super rat catcher and so far no vermin has penetrated my outside aviaries ...

Call me cruel but I don't care how long it takes them to die or how they do it so long as they don't harrass my budgies.

Hey Renee :lol: Good to see you here.

I think the rats and mice are getting smarter these days too. They seem to know what a trap looks like and do all they can to avoid them. I also think they become immune to some poisons.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

I have no sympathy for any rat that takes a thousand dollars wth of budgies as a snack through the night. I understand the pet rat keepers and I actually like the pet rats as my kids used to have them. BUT a feral rat can cause such destruction it, in turn, must be got rid of. My husband is the softie and likes to save them and rehome them, but if I have my way I drop the trap with the rat in my fishpond and drown the beggar.

I agree. I used to have a lovely affectionate pet rat, Tempalton, who got killed one night by a feral rat who got into his cage :sad:

Feral rats have no place here!! I would not let your hubby free him either - it will just go an eat Koockaburra eggs or other wildlife instead :sad:

Pet rats and mice are different - they are pets, wild vermin are different whether there are Raight right people out there that dissagree, that is fine that is your free will, However I am sure you haven't seen first hand what they do to people, I friend of mine little one almost had it's finger amputated (sp) because a rat decided I child was a good meal at night, this child got very sick ......

They spread dieases (sp again) they don't affect our wildlife however ( in rural & semi rural areas ) thoses people that use rat sack and other poision eatable baits ( that take a while to affect the vermin ) A baited mouse . rat running in fields, paddock get picked up by our bird wild life Owls, and etc, who then feed this to their young, and then there is a whole nest wiped out because that mouse / rat was baited I love animals espcially wildlife Cocky's loris, Falcons Hawlks eagles etc they are beautiful, for me to lay a bait affects that mouse and rat in a long painfull death and then may kill off a whole nest of bird ( i would hate for that to happen to our almost extinct breeds)

THis is my views, I'd rather kill that vermin with a trap ..... ( this is for my house only if they are out side, they aren't bothering me so they can run free and be merry ..... But if they are in here, they betta WATCH OUT !!!! :D