• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  415
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/05/1989

hi,

i own 3 budgies at present, 2 girls and a boy, and i am looking at getting another girl (hopefully). my problem is that at the moment i have a cage each for the 3 birds. what I would like to do is have all the girls together and have dale by him self as i dont want them to breed. what is the best way for me to get abbie and chirper and hopefully the new girl in together? last time i tried i put chirp in with abbie and lil ab got picked on. any suggestions??

thanks heaps

lil miss

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

They won't breed unless you give them somewhere to breed. As long as you don't provide anything that looks like a nest box there is no reason your boy couldn't be in with one or all of the girls :lol:

If chirp the bossy girl is okay with your boy I would put then together and try your new girl with Abbie, that way you could have two cages each with two budgies in. Don't forget to quarantine your new girl :D

Edited to add: You don't necessarily need to get a new girl of course, there is no reason you couldn't get a boy :)

Edited by melbournebudgies

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

There's a very big difference between budgies breeding and budgies having budgie sex. Breeding generally only happens if you give them a a place to lay eggs just like MB has said. Budgies however DO have budgie sex...its what budgies do and its normal for them. Not every act of mating eventuates in eggs laid and babies made. They can have all the budgie sex they want and still not lay eggs. For them to make the eggs they have to believe they have a safe and cosy place to lay eggs and hatch babies and rear them. So you can get a large cage and put them all in together and as long as you have nothing they will see as a nest ( no snuggle huts, large feed dishes etc ) you will be fine. The larger the cage the better.....wider rather than taller. Fights in cages are generally caused by not enough space, not enough perches and not enough feeding areas.....making them grumpy and making them bicker over possession of perches, food and so on.

Edited by KAZ