Sign in to follow this  
Mick

4 Yr Old Male Budgie With A Problem

I have a 4yr old male budgie who has a problem, he has pecked most of his feathers out of his rear causing discomfort and unsteadyness.He drinks a lot of water, his poo okay but passes a lot of water, this sticks to the bottom of his tail feathers causing him to lose balance. took to vet said his diet may be at fault. he has clean water and seed ( trill ) every day. I stopped giving him lettuce because of the water content He also found that the new growth in feathers on his head where still hard and not opening up Can anyone help me I need to change his diet any ideas please? Mick

Mine get budgie seed, (Trill is fine), fresh vegies- carrot, apple, celery, bok choy, etc., soaked dried lentils and a sprinkle of gg and biscuit over the top. They also get a vitamin and calcium supplement.Forgot, they also get fresh branches from gum, acacia and tea tree

I can't personally see how a basic seed diet with lettuce could cause malnutrition. I know it's not idea, but Trill has added vitamins and shell gritt too. I used that brand for years, and i have only just changed off it because they are adding too many filler seeds (seeds that the budgies can't eat to add weight to the the mix ^_^)

seeing as you have already been to the vet, i would assume they have ruled out mites or skin infections.

Some non medical reasons for feather plucking - Is he bored? Is he home by himself a lot? Is he really bonded to you and possibly frets when you leave the room? Perhaps it's an allergy??

You have 2 budgies, are they living in the same cage? Is there and social issues between them? Is it your other budgie doing the plucking???

Sorry to bombard you with options.... hope you find your answer soon. It is horrible when they start to pluck out their feathers :)

Mine get budgie seed, (Trill is fine), fresh vegies- carrot, apple, celery, bok choy, etc., soaked dried lentils and a sprinkle of gg and biscuit over the top. They also get a vitamin and calcium supplement.Forgot, they also get fresh branches from gum, acacia and tea tree
Thanks for the reply 'melbournebudgies' i'll try the veggies, is that dried egg you use? Edited by *libby*
Double quoted.

Just normal hard boiled crushed egg is good :(

I can't personally see how a basic seed diet with lettuce could cause malnutrition. I know it's not idea, but Trill has added vitamins and shell gritt too. I used that brand for years, and i have only just changed off it because they are adding too many filler seeds (seeds that the budgies can't eat to add weight to the the mix :( )

seeing as you have already been to the vet, i would assume they have ruled out mites or skin infections.

Some non medical reasons for feather plucking - Is he bored? Is he home by himself a lot? Is he really bonded to you and possibly frets when you leave the room? Perhaps it's an allergy??

You have 2 budgies, are they living in the same cage? Is there and social issues between them? Is it your other budgie doing the plucking???

Sorry to bombard you with options.... hope you find your answer soon. It is horrible when they start to pluck out their feathers :P

The options are fine **liv** thanks for the quick reply, I started to give them seed which I brought from a farm for about a year, I stopped because it looked plain (no colour in it like TRILL) it may be were this problem started, I don't know

No mites or skin infections, He does have a mate with him a 2yr old female they get on fine in fact there outside at the moment chattering away to the wild life, they have a fly around the house most days when the family's in, trouble is I/we have to clean up after them whilst this is happening. Bored, he does play with bells & swing they can be very active, they also have a very large cage, When we are all out at work I leave the radio on for them, they do like noise if I turn on the carpet cleaner or turn up the radio they will start chripping loudly. He's not bonded to me but to my eldest son he can do anything he wants with him I only clean & feed them and take them to the vets when their ill ( sounds familar ) as for the social side they seem to get on okay sometimes they do decide to have a squabble but nothing serious. Do you give yours any thing else besides seed & water? Mick

Edited by maesie
Fixed quote section

Guest george

That mitght be the problem,If sparrows or wild birds can sit on the cage.It might be worms.

Have you wormed them. :(

While not breeding my birds get seed and veggies daily (2-3 types of these a day ---> corn, carrots, broccoli, snow peas, boc choi (sp?) spinach, peas etc.)

MY birds also love Soaked soup mix... which has barley, peas, corn and lentils - they get this twice a week

A branch of lush native leaves 1-2 times a week. :(

I also give multivitamins once to twice a week during moulting