• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,300
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/09/1991

Um.... just wondering is Molly a yellow faced blue because I don't remember asking what mutation she was and I have it as my sub heading for this forum!!! Also just a question do female budgies cere only go brown when put in with a male because Molly's is turning brown but my cousins female budgie Tweety is always pink or white everytime I see her, and I see her a lot about once a week. :P

Oh 1 more question, If you refer back to post 29 and look closely at Molly's tail feathers you can see there all spread out almost as if she is flying her tail feathers are still like this. Is that to do with her health and care before I got her or will it fix itself.

:lol:

Blue and Molly are getting on so well. My grandma and I sit and watch them for hours there so funny together. In the morning when I open the top of the cage to let Blue out for his morning fly he looks as if hes trying to teach Molly to fly. The other morning Molly had fallen on the ground without me realising it, then Blue disappeared. It was only then when Grandma asked were Blue was that we found Blue sitting next to Molly on the floor. hes never been on the floor before or landed on the floor for that matter but ever since then weve had to be really careful because he runs infront of you along the floor. Strange little birdie he is. They were also preening eachother today it was sooooo cute. I must say I've never seen Blue so happy, It makes me happy just seeing him happy. :D This whole taming thing is really slow to work with Molly. I try and get her out everyday but she will only come out if Blue is out too and we went over seas a few weeks ago for 2 weeks my 2nd Antie was looking after them Blue had his daily flight but Molly was never handled so the tamming issue has back tracked. She will sit on my hand and allow me to pat her first thing when I uncover them and other than that she hates coming out and I have to grab her and then get Blue out he enjoys coming out but he knows the house way to well and flys straight back. She is happy to walk along the computer desk with Blue or sit on my shoulder as long as Blues out too but without him she gets quite tense. Maybe a bad experience or something when she was little or maybe she justs likes being with him lots. :o Anyway thats the update for now.

Edited by Cara
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

yes she is a yellowface blue.

a hen's cere will change to brown from about the age of 3 months it could take until about 6 months of age as well. ALL hens will turn this colour, be that alone or with other hens or males. are you sure Tweety is a girl? a white cere makes it sounds like a girl, as that is the colour the cere turns when out of breeding condition.

• Member ID:  4,288

yes she is a yellowface blue.

a hen's cere will change to brown from about the age of 3 months it could take until about 6 months of age as well. ALL hens will turn this colour, be that alone or with other hens or males. are you sure Tweety is a girl? a white cere makes it sounds like a girl, as that is the colour the cere turns when out of breeding condition.

Well Tweety is going on 4-5 yrs old and everytime I see her she always has a white or pink cere and its not that she is a different mutation like Albino or lutino when there hard to tell the difference between the males and females but seriously her cere is either white or pink.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a big problem, well i think it's a problem. Here it is

okay a few posts ago i told you about Molly ripping up the newspaper in the bottom of her and Blue's cage. Well today I noticed both Molly and Blue ripping up the paper. Also during certain parts of the day Blue tries to get really friendly with her well I'm thinking this will be a problem. There's no nesting box or anything that they could consider using as a nest and Molly's not even 12 months old yet. Is this normal for male and female budgies, if not does anyone have suggestions cause I don't want Molly having babies shes only a baby herself. I herd also that female budgies can become stressed easily when I male tries to get too friendly and she doesn't like it. At the moment Molly's chirping and Blue's call to her from the computer room. They also spend a lot of time feeding eachother and preening each other. Any suggestions as to what to do in this situation???

No one seems to have an answer for the above question so I'm a bit worried now.

I finally got some more photos of Molly and Blue yesturday and yah for Molly she has two flight feathers on each wing now she just needs a few more and then she can fly around with her friend. Here they are..............

Molly and Blue together :lol:

CopyofP7300378-1.jpg

Edited by Cara

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

They look great, thanks for the update :lol:

RE: your unanswered question. It helps to post a new topic if you have a question about something. Most members look here for an update on Molly and her progress. When you have questions, start a new topic and you will get lots more answers :(

(If these photos are too big I don't now what I did cause I definately changed the size to 640)

Molly sitting in the fruit and vegetable dish :lol:P7300376.jpg

Molly throwing her treat (grain bread) around the cage :(P7300377.jpg

Molly looking down from her perch at the dish she managed to un-clip that's now lying on the floor of the cage: Little :devil: she is...P7300382.jpg

Molly being all friendly to Blue :DP7300384.jpg

Molly preening herself :lol:

P7300392.jpg

And Finally well I had to put at least 1 photo of Blue somewere in amoungst Molly's pics. He might feel left out otherwise B)

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K.../P1010012-1.jpg

Update:Well for anyone who doesn't now we had big problems with Molly's wings not growing properly well finally shes got some big white flight feathers 2 infact on each wing. Soon she'll be flying around the house with Blue. They both have recently started to chew the paper on the cage floor which has gotten me worried about the breeding issue. So I'v posted another topic called Birdie Question that has all the facts about the problem. So i'm going to replace the newspaper for somehting different. Molly and taming don't mix, although she doesn't bite she hates coming out still even though it's been three months since we got her. Well thats all for now.

Edited by **Liv**
Last image turned to link - over 640 X 480

Well we tried the gliding excersize today. She wen't pritty well for a bird that doesn't fly. But unfortunately Molly lost her biggest flight feather in the process. Thats funny too because that exact same feather last time on the same wing also fell out while trying to glide.

If she has troubles keeping flight feathers, she may have french moult - which would also explain her lack of flight

From the pictures above can anyone tell me an estimate of how old she would be. I have read that if they have lost thier bars and have a white iris there about 7 months but I have only had Molly for nearly 3 months and she was we think quite young when we got her but not sure of her exact age. Her iris isn't as white as Blues. (Hes turning 4 this year)

Update: :D

Today was a mile stone for Molly. In the mornings when I cut up the budgies fruit and vegies Blue is always first to get into them. Well this morning I was holding the white food containers in my hand and offering it to the birds. Blue quite happily sat on my finger and ate out of the food bowls like he normally does but this time Molly came a little closer and then a little closer until she could stick her head in the food bowl as well. She got a piece of corn out the bowl and ran away with it to eat it else were. Without Blue she won't come anywhere near me but if Blue's there too she will come too. Thats the first time shes done that, she did do it before we left her and Blue with a house sitter when we went away a couple of months ago and then I had to regain her trust all over again as we were gone quite a while and our house sitter didn't get either of them out for the 2 weeks we were gone. But she's starting to trust me again which is good. I'm gonna get them out later and work on Molly's gliding onto my bed excersise and maybe work on some step ups (ladder) also. Here are some pictures I took this morning. I will keep you updated on Molly's progress.

Bath time last week: Blue loves the shower, Molly loves to bathe in lettuce leaves or with the mist spray bottle.

P8050393.jpg

Blue eating out of the white food bowl (One of the techniques I use to slowly gain their trust)

Blue has always done this as he was an older bird when I got him and he was also very tame too despite being with other birds in the pet store. I can also hand feed him.

FeedingBlue.jpg

Blue also ways the first into the fresh food: There are to fresh food dishes available in the cage

P8100396.jpg

P8100398.jpg

P8100399.jpg

P8100417.jpg

Both now eating the fresh vegetables (Corn, carrot and zuchini)

P8100404.jpg

This weeks set-up: I change the natural perches every week as by the end of the week they do get grubby and they have usually shredding everything they can of the perches. Also it stops them become bored if I change there cage around weekly. The green lid container at the bottom of the cage is a clip on bird bath but I don't clip it onto the door because It leaves a gap big enough for them to put there little heads through. (Don't want them getting out or worse choking themselves so I put it in the cage for them, they haven't worked out yet what it is for but I have seen Molly drinking from it)

P8100405.jpg

Budgie kisses, also pics of them chatting to each other (I have never seen Blue so happy in the few years I have had him, he was never this happy or chatty with Auzzie his old friend whom we had to have put down )

P8100425.jpg

P8100426.jpg

P8100427.jpg

P8100428.jpg

Were also buying some saw dust tomorrow from the pet shop as I have heard about some pretty sad stories of budgies breaking there beaks when they have fallen of perches etc. It will make more of a softer landing for Molly when she does land on the floor of the cage.

Edited by Neat
spelling

• Member ID:  3,657
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  896
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Achievement Points:  5,985
  • Birthday:  01/10/1964

Beautiful pictures Cara ;)

Here are some more pictures, these were taken this afternoon.

Blue and Molly's afternoon preening session:

Afternoonpreeningsession.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ingsession1.jpg

Afternoonpreeningsession2.jpg

Afternoonpreeningsession3.jpg

Afternoonpreeningsession4.jpg

Afternoonpreeningsession5.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ingsession6.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ingsession7.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ingsession8.jpg

Afternoonpreeningsession9.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ngsession10.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll305/K...ngsession11.jpg

Edited by Neat
Change Photo's to Link ... Please Keep Photo sizes to 640 x 480

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

AWesome pics thanks for sharing ... I love reading your post I may not always reply But I love hearing their adventures .. Question though, in the bottom of their cage what is that Green box thing????? If they can get in it I would thin about removing it as it could lead them to Breed

You have taken awesome pictures - you have 2 very spoilt birds :D

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Great update as usual. Very cute photos there too Cara... Budgie of the month?!?!

Neat... the green thing is their bird bath :D

Great update as usual. Very cute photos there too Cara... Budgie of the month?!?! Neat... the green thing is their bird bath :D
I have entered a photo of Molly into Budgie of the month, I think.... I am sure I did but I don't remember.
AWesome pics thanks for sharing ... I love reading your post I may not always reply But I love hearing their adventures .. Question though, in the bottom of their cage what is that Green box thing????? If they can get in it I would thin about removing it as it could lead them to Breed
The green thing is an enclosed birdie bathroom. 1 side is opened the others are enclosed to stop water spray going all over the cage and the floor. It normally clips onto the side of the were the middle entrance is but it leaves a small gap and I don't wont my budgies getting out or getting choked.
  • 1 month later...

As you guys probably already know Molly's best friend/ boy friend is a very sick little boy. She's driving my Grandparents nuts with her calling to Blue but she never gets an answer. Molly now has 5 flight features on each wing and is able to fly from the cage to the window ledge and back and from the floor to her cage but she hasn't mastered the whole steering and landing without a thud yet.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I am glad she is doing well and has not contracted whatever Blue has, she sounds like a doll.

Well sadly Molly lost her one and only best friend Blue. She has been in a cage by herself for over 5 days now and doesn't seem to show any signs of fretting or any symptoms of the sickness Blue had but I will keep a close eye on her for any signs.

that is good, I would keep her as the only budgie now for at least 30 days (IF) you decide to get a new one then make sure he or she is quarantined for 30 days that is a total of 60 days for her alone to watch for signs of illness.

Pretty died very suddenly and Merlin ended up being fine, I was very relieved.

I must admit that I have been neglecting the hand taming of Molly. So I have read some really good information about it and I am going to start from scratch. I find that Molly freezes up or tries to get away from me I never really used to worry about hand taming her too much as she had Blue for company but she doesn't have him anymore so I have decided not to get another budgie so I am going to hand tame her properly.

I am going to start with moving things around her cage like toys, the saw dust, feed dishes the bird bath etc and get her used to me doing that around her cage twice a day and if she gets really stressed out I will stop. I will record the progress as often as I can so that you guys can see her progress. Im not expecting miracles in week this could take me months even years to get her properly hand tamed. If you have any suggestions or any advice I would love the extra help.

I wrote up an article in the FAQ section about Taming Your Budgie you will find it most useful. I did that with Merlin, I didn't work on the taming as much when I had 2 now that I just have him I worked on it but I took it slowly. The nice thing is if they are already semi-tame and you work with them everyday being the single budgie they come around a lot quicker. Keep us updated Cara.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I agree with Elly. Sounds like a good plan. If she had some taming before, it shouldn't take her too long to pick it up again. I look forward to following her progress again :purr:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

agree with Elly and Maesie, if she has some training before, it will not be long until she is tamed again ;)