• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,300
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/09/1991

Day 1: Saturady 3rd May 2008

We drove out to Slacks Creek to see the 3 baby budgies that they had for sale. When i walked into the bird room I saw a dark cage in the back corner there was no natural light as there was no windows. The bird room was noisy with all types of different birds in cages. I looked into the dark cage and there was a tiny little baby budgie sitting in the corner at the back of her cage. I wanted her, she was beautiful and i knew i needed to rescue her from her early death to be. She was so quiet and so small. She is a yellow faced blue hen, I think. So I told the lady i wanted her, i asked if i could see her and the lady said she bites hard. The lady put gloves on and threw a small net over her small body. Yah she did bite, her wings were clipped really bad and my grandma got angry at the lady for clipping them so short I also got some millet spray for her.

When we got her home i set up a quaranteen cage for her especially designed so that she had a ladder to all her perches. As soon as i put her in that cage she walked up the ladders and sat on her natural perch which she started to chew the bark of. By the end of the day her and Blue (my violet spangle male) were talking to each other from different ends of the house. Then I went onto this site and typed about her feet, so i had chrushed egg shells up and mixed it into her seed and into blues seed. She was happily eating and playing with toys when i covered her up for the night.

Day 2: Sunday 4th May 2008

Today she got her name, Molly. When i uncovered her I changed the paper, and gave her fresh water and blew out the husks in her seed. I also gave her some millet spray and veges (corn, peas, carrot and zuchinni). She hasn't started eating veges yet but she loved the millet spray. I did the same for Blue and let him out to fly around for an hour or so. (My birds get an hour of free flying time around the living room everyday, its said that regular 20 minutes excersize helps to prevent tumours when there older). Molly sat on her perch preening herself and playing with toys all day. That afternoon I had Molly out and she was playing with her toys on the play gym. She didn't bite me when i stuck my hand in her cage but she did try and get away from me a few times. After I had her out I gave her and Blue some more fresh veges at 5:30 that afternoon I covered my birds up as its gets cold and dark here quickly.

Day 3: Monday 5th May 2008

Todays labour day so I don't go to school. When i uncovered Molly and feed her she started calling for Blue, she also started calling for the Rainbows that were in our backyard. Today I did what i did yesturday but today I gave my budgies (corn, broccoli, celery and silverbeet). There day is pritty muc the same as yesturday. When something happens Ill be sure to let everyone know. Molly is slowly gettig better at coming out.

Photos coming soon....

Edited by Cara
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Sounds to me like Molly is exactly where she should be in her life....with you :lol:

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Sounds like you are giving Molly a wonderful life :D

I bet she is very happy with you - well done :D

:)

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

that was good of you to do, l can hardly wait to see pictures of Molly.

Guest Phoebe
:) Sounds like all is going well! One of my rescue cockatiels is named Molly as well (Elly named her) and she came from an awful situation too. Carry on with the good work. :D

• Member ID:  4,288
  • Topic Count:  70

Day 4: 6th May 2008

I had to go to school today but this afternoon I got Molly out and out her on her play gym. She seems to love her play gym although she is hard to catch at times as she wasn't treated well but Im slowly getting her used to me putting my hand in her cage. Shes very hesitant but once shes out she loves playing with a small ping pong ball thats hanging from onto the perches of her play gym. When its time to go back into her cage she starts to hesitate again and tries to fly away but as I have said before her wings were cut way to short. When i looked at her wings they weren't neatly cut, i think it was rushed cause they look the same as when you tear paper. Its gonna take a while for her wings to grow back, It took old Auzzie (Blues old friend) months to get his flight feathers back after they cute his wings to short. But anyway, as promised I will get some photos either this Friday or some time during the weekend and post them for you all to see. Her feet are still the same, I will egt some close ups of her feet to. For anyone who doesn't know she walks on feet that are turned on the side slightly her legs seem fine just her feet, shes really responding to the calcium I have given her and she sits in the sunlight (not direct sunlight) and sings her morning song to Blue. Well thats all for today I will keep you posted on her improvements. I think she has taken to the veges today cause there are bits of carrots etc spread across her cage floor.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Good on you... you're a life saver! I can't wait to see pictures. She sounds so happy and content. Great news all round :)

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Reading this your post cara really makes me happy. I too am one of those people that has a hard time saying no to someone, person or animal, who seems in distress. I am pleased you saved Molly and I do look forward to those pics.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

this is a wonderful post to read, I really enjoyed it. Molly and you sound like a perfect fit :P

Day 5: 7th May 2008

Today Molly enjoyed a variety of fruits and veges (kiwi fruit, apple, carrot, peas, corn and zuchini). Well when i said I thought she had been eating her veges i was right. This morning as soon as i put ther fruit and veges into her cage she went and ate them. So far her fav fresh food is zuchini. I plain to get her out again after school this afternoon as she was happily perched on my finger yesturday. Her and Blue still call to each other in the mornings. Shes forever preening herself and Blue has really perked up since I got him a new friend, It will be awhile till i am able to put Molly in with him but until then shes happy just talking to him from a distance. She has made a real mess of her cage, she has sreaded up the bark from her perches and she is the biggest mess maker in the world but i love her to bits. Shes my special little star and from all the chirping her and blue are doing oviously she is Blues little star too. Well thats the update from me and Molly today. Until tomorrow let all birds lead a happy life with the right care and treatment they diserve.

Great news! I love this happy little thread :wub:

Day 6: Thursday - 8th May 2008

Today my birds got a mixture of soaked soup mix, gratted carrots, beans and red capsicum. Molly seemed to enjoy it as she had spread the food across her cage floor but i no she is eating parts of it cause they have chunks missing from them. This afternoon I had her out and we accomplised something. Molly happily let me scratch the back of her head and performed the "up" trick well finger lander is what i call it. Blue and her are constantly chatting each other but it doesn't get annoying cause I go to school, my Grandparents go to work and my Great Grandma sits and nits in her room at the back of the house so no one heres them chatting all day. But anyways big improvments from Molly today and Im having the day of school tomorrow to babysit my cousins so I will get some photos of her before they come and hopefully post them tomorrow night for everyone to see.

• Member ID:  3,988
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,905
  • Birthday:  20/11/1993

Awww cara that is so sweet! Its thanks to caring people like you that more animals are saved from cruelty and early deaths

SNAPS FOR CARA!!!

May i ask what grade you are in? i'm in grade.10! hehe

♥Indz

Im turning 17 this year and i am in grade 11.

Edited by Cara

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Where's the photos ?

Where's the photos ?

Sorry guys you gonna have to wait a bit longer to see photos as I had the camera ready and realised i had no batteries :) so were gonna go shopping tomorrow. But don't stress I promised photos and you'll get your photos ;)

Day 7 - 9th May 2008

Today Molly and Blue got a mixture of fruit and veges. (grated apple, carrot and zuchini) Molly seems to be getting overly excited when I put the fruit and vege bowl into her cage. Today she actually drank water out of her water bowl. Shes been talking to Blue a lot more lately they call to eachother 20 4 7. He started this screeching noise today and Molly has started compying him so we have to birds who are constantly sreeching. Theres been some improvemt with her feet from sitting on perches. Shes been coming out every afternoon aswell and is enjoying sitting in the sunlight chatting to her toys every morning.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Cara, i just read yout thread, it is like others have said a great feeling to see someone save a budgie,and i agree with Kaz, Molly is where she is meant to be WITH YOU, you sound like a very loving owner ... Hat off to you mate. Keep up the great effort It is good to hear that Molly is now starting to trust you, I look forward to seeing your little bright star ... All the best Mate!

Week 2 day 1: 9th May 2008

Molly has now been with us for a week. She is still a little bit scared of human contact but with a bit more patience she should begin to trust me handling her. My cousins and I cleaned her cage out yesturday. We replaced the natural perches, washed toys etc etc. We also tried her with some Eucalyptus leaves and seeding grasses which i though would scared the first time she saw them (Blue was frightened of them the first time i put them into his cage) but she wasn't scared she took to the Eucalyptus leaves and started shredding them to pieces, she even loves the seeding grasses which she likes to pull apart and dump on the floor of her cage. Sorry guys still no pics yet......

Week 2 day 2: 10th May 2008

Today Molly enjoyed more fresh leaves and seeding grasses. Shes been chirping and playing with her toys today and shredding the bark of her new perches. Shes contantly trying to fly and lands on the floor so we have to watch out for her and when we do see her on the floor we have to pick up and put her back in the cage. Shes forever preening herself and she still chirps to Blue as well as the new found voice of mimicing Blue's screeching noise. Well thats all for now I promise to post some pics soon........

What a sweet little Molly :P It is all sounding very promising. And YES... get onto those photos please :huh: .

Hay to all who read this thread "Life of Molly". I have decided to just do weekly updates on Molly's progress as I have exams to study for etc. I will try and do an update every friday

:) I will look forward to my Friday dose of MOLLY!!!

I have great news for you all..... I have some photos of Molly that I took this evening there not great photos but there a start. So they should be posted sometime soon.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

YAY!!! Can't wait to see Molly :hap: ;)

Week 3:We have had Molly for 3 weeks. Shes eating her veges and loves to pull/shred the eucalyptus leaves to bits. I had to introduce Molly to Blue on the weekend 1 and half weeks short of the quaranteen time of 4 weeks minimum as my Grandad is sick of having a small cage in my room and also the noise they make in the morning and the mess she makes on my carpet. So i put her in with Blue 3 days ago. Blue is so happy to have a friend, yesturday they started this thing were Blue goes up to Molly and bobs up and down and she does it back to him. So cute!!! I have photos lots of photos but we have to find the conection lead so i can download them of the camera. Shes still not liking coming out of her cage but once shes out she plays with my shiny phone assesories. She hates coming out by herself know i have introduced her to Blue whihc means I have to get him out too before she will happily sit on my finger. Any way thats It for this week. Another update sometime soon so keep checking up.By the way Blue turned 4 on Sunday. :D